[REL] 37¾ Mile Isle Of Man Mountain Course - Conversion from GPL

Discussion in 'Locations' started by svictor, Oct 18, 2020.

1. DavidG

DavidG Registered

I stopped playing GPL earlier this year and one of my biggest regrets was not being able to drive this track any more. Now I can do so in my favourite sim, which is just awesome! You’ve done a stunning job too; it’s a more than fitting tribute to Jim’s original. The only thing I miss, are the pace notes! And now more people can enjoy the result of Jim’s 15 years of sweat and tears.

A huge thank you to S.Victor and Corti, and of course to Jim Pearson for his original work and for giving his permission. Now what’s the chance of a getting a Dundrod conversion?

ebeninca, Corti and svictor like this.
  2. rd.king

rd.king Registered

this is great thanks to all involved.
    I didn't know what to expect when I D/Led.
    I am really impressed you've done a real nice job here.

Corti and svictor like this.
  3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

The track must just have problem with the F1 79 mod. I tried the Radical and Brabham BT44 and they were perfect, if a little dodgy with collisions with barriers and scenery (which I did a lot of :D)

Corti and svictor like this.
  4. svictor

svictor Registered

This issue is caused by none-default LODMultiplier value that set in the car mod camera file, in this case, F1 79.

The LODMultiplier value, as it describes, multiplies track object's LOD value. For standard car, the default value is always 1.0 for cockpit and nose/bumper view.

This becomes a big issue when car mods use higher value, which increase LOD greatly, and rendering a great amount objects around, which normally shouldn't.

For example, a LODMultiplier value of 5.0 in car camera file, will result 5000 LOD value for a 1000 LOD track piece. F1 79 mod has set LODMultiplier=(60.0), means 60*1000=60000 LOD.

There is no way to fix this from track side, since no track file has control over car's LODMultiplier value. Only way is to fix car mod.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  5. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Outstanding thanks for bringing this gem to RF2.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Why is it used?

7. svictor

svictor Registered

If you mean why other mod use higher value, maybe because they use higher value to solve some poor made track which has very low LOD set in track GMT files that causing objects to pop up. Adjust car's default LODMultiplier value is definitely not the correct way to fix track pop up issue. There are a few aged threads also mentioned this if you search them.

bears, pkelly and Mauro like this.
  8. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Hm, did a quick fix to the F1 79 Alfa. Altered setting to LODMultiplier 1.0 in cam-file. Now the performance is good in VR (90 fps instead of 17 fps). But now the complete car looks wrong in VR. No driver arms, 4 mirrors (2 of them blind), most of the gearstick and parts of the dashboard are outside of the cockpit :( Same with LODMultiplier 2.0

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2020
    atomed likes this.
  9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Are the LODs messed up with the car objects then?

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Maybe you guys should refer to car problems to its thread ?

Anyway, odd car choice for track like this.

I haven't been able to begin fun with this track yet. But I must say. Even though this track is clearly made for dated sim, with dated 3d standards, but wow it does look good. I am just looking at screenshots in opening post and it looks superb! Clean, fantastic texturing, fantastic shading. Superb screenshots, looking forward to experience TT for first time.

Matías Corvino and svictor like this.
  11. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Looks awesome, cant wait to trying it, but have to queue it for next in line. So much good stuff at the moment.

Corti likes this.
  12. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Wow what a fantastic job!!!!!!!

TAHNKS!!!!!!!!!!!

svictor likes this.
  13. svictor

svictor Registered

Maybe best contact author for fix.

Nevertheless, I took a look at GEN file of said car, and found that this 79 mod uses 2 separated model for cockpit view and outside view as many RF1 mods do. And the both model is setup in a way that they are visible from cockpit view.

To fix this issue, need to move all body GMT MeshFile lines (in your case, it is "a179_body_max.gmt" located between Instance=SLOT<ID> and Actor=VEHICLE) into a new instance. Or, try adjust old LOD value see if helps.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    trollray, atomed and Corti like this.
  14. Xzanman

Xzanman Registered

Tried it,what a fantastic job,the mist version adds atmosphere and the effect is much better than I expected.the street lamps are very cool,driving this track at night is jaw clenching!!! Difficult but such a great experience! Depending on the mod being used,i get good fps,just seem to get some big drops in a few parts of the track.overall though a fantastic job and much needed edition (not enough long tracks) to Rfactor 2.can't thank you guys enough.can't wait to see what you guys do next.is there anywhere where we can follow your work?

svictor, atomed and Corti like this.
  15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Paging @trollray :D

trollray, Emery and Corti like this.
  16. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Shitty to hear that this 1979 is bugged. Never had problems on other tracks. Multiplier is used to hide old cockpit from rf1

makan and svictor like this.
  17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

A track of that size, converted from GPL rather than scratch built? I'm surprised more mods don't barf all over it. I am also surprised the first thing he tried was old F1. 'Bout time somebody made a proper 2 wheel hack like they did for rF1 and fake a motorcycle. Touring cars, or smaller lightweight open wheelers would seem to be ideal for such a circuit.

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I have "a thing" for the F1 1979 mod so I thought why not ;) Other tracks never gave 8 FPS so I tested if it was car mod specific.

BT44 was pretty fun even if I crashed into scenery A LOT and embedded a wheel inside an invisible wall part way around a lap, DOH!

rFactor 2 can probably just handle the one cockpit now, no point having replacements?

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It was only ever an rF1 thing, never been needed in rF2.

Woodee likes this.
  20. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

you should create a patreon account, and everyone who wants an update version will donate per month and will have the exclusive access, look at x4fab from AC and his patreon, just for Content Manager and Shadow patch, he earns 3200 $ per month https://www.patreon.com/x4fab.
    If the plan is to add PBR new shaders, bumps, and better texture or the TT isle of man 2 conversion, sure I will donate a lot of money.

Pauli Partanen likes this.