[REL] 37¾ Mile Isle Of Man Mountain Course - Conversion from GPL

Discussion in 'Locations' started by svictor, Oct 18, 2020.

1. svictor

svictor Registered

preview.jpg
    Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2261065561

Build History

This full length "37¾ Mile Isle Of Man Mountain Course" was built by Jim Pearson entirely from scratch over a period of 14 years from 2005. It is a totally different track to his much earlier "Abridged / Shortened" 20 km version.

It was released by him for the simulation Grand Prix Legends [ GPL ] in June 2019.

Jim's original PDF Readme , release files and three release videos are located here;
    http://jrpearson.homestead.com/37MileIOMMCRelease.html

The release thread for GPL is located here;
    http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=12928

Note: This track replicates the actual roads existing before Windy Corner and Brandish were opened up with much bigger radii in 2006.

Conversion Credits

Converted to rF2 by S.Victor(Xiang) with assistance from Corti(Andres).

I approached Jim in February 2020 and agreed to the conditions set out in his track Readme PDF [ See above ] He then gave me written permission to convert his track to rF2.

Amongst these conditions were assurances that the permission being granted would be limited to rF2 in this case and that no income would be derived or sought for the conversion.

Jim monitored development of this conversion throughout, providing some useful assistance as required. He has asked me to include his assessment of my work as follows;

" When approached by Xiang earlier this year, I was encouraged to grant him permission to convert my 37¾ Mile Isle Of Man Mountain Course GPL track to rF2, as he appeared to me to have the right combination of skills, dedication, high standards and respect for the original work that I was looking for.

My faith in him has been richly rewarded, as he has persevered to overcome many of the real technical difficulties inherent in translating a very complex and lengthy GPL track into a quite different rF2 rendering and surface model.

He has surpassed my expectations and I believe the results display and drive as well in rF2 as they do in GPL, the sim it was originally tailored to. I hope you enjoy the fruits of our collective labours and show due appreciation of Xiang's work on your behalf.

Credit is due!

Jim Pearson
    October 2020. "

Track Info

Length: 60.72 KM / 37.75 Miles
    Max vehicle: 48
    Real road (0.9-1.0m density) & 2.7%(10cm) crossfall
    Hundreds street lights
    Out lap timing support

Layout Configurations

- Mountain Course
    - Mountain Mist, ( Which is the same track, but has patches of Ground Fog and Mountain Mist replicating two options available in the GPL track. )
    - Mountain Rally, which includes:
    * Stage 1 (14.70 km): from Quarter Bridge to Cronk-Y-Voddy.
    * Stage 2 (17.44 km): from Glen Helen to Ginger Hall.
    * Stage 3 (15.61 km): from Ballaugh Bridge to Guthrie's Memorial.
    * Stage 4 (19.26 km): from Gooseneck to Governor's Bridge.
    * Stage 5 (18.93 km): from Keppel Gate to Ballacraine.
    * Stage 6 (15.31 km): from Greeba Castle to Rhencullen.
    * Stage 7 (17.31 km): from Ginger Hall to Bungalow.

Notes & Recommended Settings

Jim's original PDF Readme is highly recommended for a complete view and understanding of the original GPL track and design choices.

Draw Distance (similar to LOD):
    IOM is designed specifically around Draw Distance for GPL cockpit view. Draw Distance(LOD) is important for optimization as well as showing or hiding road and scenery at proper designed distance.
    RF2 conversion has kept same principle in mind. It means player with view other than cockpit may find that scenery or road sections appear too soon or in the air, due to the different camera position or LODMultiplier value. The recommended way to enjoy this track is through cockpit view.
    Note, if a track piece appears in the mid of air along the forward driving direction while using cockpit view, it means the car mod is set on a higher LODMultiplier value than default 1.0 value. Additionally, the default value for Swingman view is 2.0, which also enables you to see further than the track LOD is designed for. Higher LODMultiplier value will cause significant performance issue, as more objects rendered. However there is no way to enforce LODMultiplier value from track itself, the only fix is by editing car mod camera file.

Out lap timing:
    The track supports immediate out lap timing. Timing starts when car exit pitlane.
    It's important to note that driver must wait pit lane to open before exiting garage (watch out for "Pit Closed" signs), otherwise timing will not work. Due to track length and out lap timing mechanism, extra caution is needed for not over speeding in pitlane (60KPH). Receiving a penalty and then jumping back to garage will result immediate DQ after you exit pit the third time (everytime you exit pit from garage counts as a lap).

Road surface & RealRoad:
    The road surface has been re-constructed to fully support RealRoad tech, which has a 0.9-1.0m mesh density, with 10cm crossfall and varied physical bumps to replicate the real world track condition during the 90's.

Weather:
    It is recommended to set weather to Default weather, or any Cloudy weather for varied illumination and immersion.

Shadow:
    A special technique is used to achieve soft shading and natural looking shadow across the whole track. Some pre-baked hardshadow from Jim's original GPL version are also preserved.

Night lights:
    Thanks to Corti's assistance, over 200 street light sources are carefully placed at various locations, for extra immersion and challenging night racing.

Flagger:
    In original GPL version, 2D flagger acts as marshal, and it was recreated in RF2 through digitalflag and startlight for extra nostalgia of the GPL era.

Billboards & Xboards tree:
    Due to the different way of rendering between two sims as well as complexity, only a small amount trees were converted to Billboards.

Textures & Material:
    All texture assets are kept as faithful as to original track. Every materials have used the latest IBL shader & PBR rendering for advanced visual effects, while still preserve all the original texture details.

Trackside Cameras:
    Trackside cameras have been fully reworked with two available cam groups. Camera Group 1 includes 203 new tracking cams for complete & best viewing coverage. Camera Group 2 includes 219 static cams that were originally created by Jim from GPL version for most authentic view.

AI Waypoint:
    AI Waypoint has been fully rebuilt, including new fastest path, as well as left, right, block path for challenging races against AI. The new fastest path line has also been adjusted by hand for min-maxing AI performance against multiple types of vehicles.

Collision wall:
    All collision objects are rebuilt & optimized. A new race-friendly 120km collision wall encloses entire drivable track area to prevent vehicles from stranding inside terrain objects, or falling off the track in serious crash.

Thanks to Jim's extensive assistance and support, as well as every friends' help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  2. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Oh my god :eek::eek::eek:

What a surprise
    It must have been an insane work! :)

P. S. But You have rework all Isle of Man GPL road mesh?!?

Corti and svictor like this.
  3. Bob Gnarley

Bob Gnarley Registered

Mind blown! A huge Thank You! to S.Victor and Corti for not only taking this on, but doing it justice. And a special thank you to Jim Pearson for generously allowing conversion of what amounts to many years of research, hard work and many burned candles. It means a lot to have the official Jim Pearson seal of approval. Thank you sir.

And now without further ado, Formula Vee...

4. svictor

svictor Registered

Took about 3 months for rebuilding surface. There are a lot trial and error at first, and has to redo a few times. Jim provided a much better surface mesh, which helped a lot.

SRGP, Matías Corvino, Emery and 5 others like this.
  5. dylbie

dylbie Registered

This is insane! Thanks so much for this! This is the perfect track for some streetcar screen shots! :cool:

6. Corti

Corti Registered

A great work and great respect for its creators. Victor, I really appreciate that you have counted on me and being able to contribute a small grain of sand on this circuit is the best thing that has happened to me.
    Many thx mate. ;)

DJCruicky, Emery, pkelly and 5 others like this.
  7. Arnaud Plume

Arnaud Plume Registered

Great! Thank you!!!

8. philrob

philrob Registered

Thank you both for this fantastic conversion of Jims work of love.
    Captures the feel of the original with the RF2 improvements, great work.

Bill Guillaume, Corti and svictor like this.
  9. bears

bears Registered

Wow wow wow this is a mind blowing piece of work a huge thanks to both of you.

svictor has personally helped me on a number of occasions his knowledge and attitude is top shelf Rf2 is fortunate to have him contributing

now to do some driving ;-)

svictor, atomed and Corti like this.
  10. Xzanman

Xzanman Registered

Cant wait to try this,thanks very much for your work.already know it will be awesome!!!

svictor and Corti like this.
  11. JoeP1

JoeP1 Registered

Huge thank you for this. Nice surprise to wake up to!!

12. sushi

sushi Registered

A masterpiece at GPL and i'm absolutely sure for rF2 too. Thank you.

13. atomed

atomed Member

Wow, this is amazing, we are so lucky to have people as involved as you guys. Thanks to everyone involved, svictor, Corti, and of course Jim.

Corti, svictor and Mauro like this.
  14. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Awesome track guys,i play a bit of IOM TT game and is very similiar,very thanks to all,now we need some bikes mods......:D

Corti, jayarrbee36, dylbie and 2 others like this.
  15. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Congratz, now if you can work with a TT isle of man 2 track conversion....

Corti likes this.
  16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Well.... I get 8 FPS in the pits in VR with an i7 6700 and 1080Ti.....oh well. Considering the resolution of the textures I would have thought it could run, Targa Florio does.

Corti likes this.
  17. svictor

svictor Registered

It is probably due to real road and time scale interaction.

Make sure to set time scale to 1x normal, as this track is very long, and with faster time scale, real road will downgrade performance by a large amount (I have tested a few sessions with X10 & X60 time scale, and getting 30-40 fps with 2070. While 1X has no issue and very stable fps).

Also some car mod has LODMultiplier set to insanely high, that bypasses track's LOD setting, and rendering a huge amount track sections, which causes extreme low fps.(as mentioned in release notes)

PhilT, Corti and atomed like this.
  18. Chabba Ranks

Chabba Ranks Registered

Absolutely epic course to drive. Thanks all. I can only imagine how long it took to create this.

19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I will try with another mod and see what happens. Time scale was 1x but realroad was set to 2x.... maybe that is an issue, will retest.

Corti likes this.
  20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

just set real road to a fixed condition. That should fix that part at least.