Tips for optimized rF2 performance / Guide on how to prevent low FPS

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Risto Kappet, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Kaitsu_69

Kaitsu_69 Registered

I have same problem after reinstalling whole computer. Fraps show steady 60 in track, nothing else.

2. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

I can across a post on this forum which changed another setting but cant for the life of me find it

3. tosh

tosh Registered

Hello,

I have some issues sometimes after a few minutes of racing (not every time). It starts to freeze for a few microseconds, barely recognizable, but annoying. In that moment the graph shows some pink dots under the pink bar. Anyone know what this means?

System runs quite well usually with a lot of fps.

[​IMG]

4. Shane Gilfeather

Shane Gilfeather Registered

Hi Guys, Ive been through this and found a couple of very helpful tips. As a result i have this Player file that helps bring down the FPS by not showing the stuff you don't really notice

Please find attached the Player file.
    **RF2 needs to be closed before you follow these instructions**

1. Save a copy of your current "Player.PLR" file onto your desktop.
    2. Copy and Paste my file into your "Player Folder".

To tweek . Open file and look for "Max framerate"and change values to test.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  5. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Can I confirm that this is the line "Message Center Detail":3, ? If so, is anyone able to advise what settings are available i.e. is ther a 0, 1, 2 etc and what do they do? TIA

6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I think you can do this, but for all sessions, via the UI.

7. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

I think that I have tried to find this before, but not managed to locate it in the UI.

8. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

Settings - display - message center
    Second row on the right column upload_2020-10-18_18-19-18.png

Unless of course you use the new UI, in which case you should revert to the old one anyway :p

9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

In new UI there is this option.

10. tosh

tosh Registered

I think I have found something. After testing my system with Prime95 2 of 8 workers stopped immediately after the start. No OC here. Replace my thermal compound and checked system clock settings (load default and then xmp profiles). Prime95 running without problem and until now no stuttering here again. Maybe my solution.

11. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Thanks Risto - I think that I was aware of this, just thought that as the figure was 3 in the player.json, there might have been other options than on/off.

Risto Kappet likes this.
  12. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

hello.

I am relatively new to rF2 and just really started to look at optimizing how it runs on my Gaming Rig.

Silly questions maybe but I play on a 720p TV with a VEGA 64 in VSR to 1440p and the graph showing Physics and GPU usage is super small and to the very right of my screen so barely useable.
    any chance to edit a config file to place that Graph in the center of the screen and make it bigger?

thanks so much

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  13. justposted

justposted Registered

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  14. justposted

justposted Registered

I have found that reducing backclip to 65 and raindrops to 0 have no significant effect on my FPS in dry conditions. Perhaps the rain thing was a bug in older versions that has since been resolved.

The backclip thing relates to VRAM, I am guessing, so if you can fit all the car models into VRAM then there is no benefit in drawing fewer of them. Same applies to how many visible opponents you have set, which I have found helps until new cars come into view, e.g. when you overtake a bunch of cars at T1, at which point my framerate takes a hit whilst new car models are loaded into VRAM (I assume). That could mean it is a useful change for cards that run out of VRAM on a given track, but not for those that don't.

15. David Short

David Short Registered

Which track did you test the backclip to 65 at and did you try day and night? How many AI and was it VR, Single screen, graphics card used? The Original poster suggested that it was a huge FPS boost although that was posted 2+ years and several builds ago. Perhaps there has been an improvement, I'm in VR and have it set at 65 would be nice to be able to move it back farther without a FPS hit. What number did you end up settling on that still performed well.?

Thanks in advance as load times make testing these things time consuming and a pain in VR. Your feedback would give me a ballpark for some quick tests and hopefully improved immersion.

Cheers

16. justposted

justposted Registered

I've done some tests at Le Mans, as that seems to stretch my graphics card quite a bit (hovering around 98% VRAM use). I'm running 2560x1080 single screen (not VR), with a 1070Ti 8GB and 30AI (all from GT3 Pack). I've also done some at Circuit d'Azur, which sits comfortably within my VRAM limit. I run with 3 virtual mirrors at the top of my screen, plus car mirrors.

It looks to me like the difference between back_clip of 0 and 65 is maybe 5-10FPS. Where I'm running at my VRAM limit, the FPS dips when new vehicles come close is more pronounced with 0, but there isn't much in it. The impact is about the same for night and day as far as I can see, though it is hard to test because it does depend on how I'm doing in the race, e.g. train of cars catching up or individual cars dropping out of view range.

David Short likes this.
  17. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

Thank you, good guide....
    My personal tweaks for VR:
    Framerate: 46FPS
    using the open composing mod for oculus
    Textures: full
    World: medium
    Opponets: medium
    My Car: full

Works nice, giving a fluid experience....

Ciccina2016 likes this.
  18. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

I agree with you Ferdando.. I use Open Composite for Oculus and although it uses ASW , the VR experience is more than acceptable.
    The ASW in RF2 is much better than in AC and ACC

19. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

@Risto Kappet thanks for the tips. What setting do you now use in case of freesync in the config/launcher for sync setting (still video, or none/gpu/software)?

20. Matt Webb

Matt Webb Registered

sorry if covered already, done the searches etc.....how do i set the menu and replay FPS cap. the ingame & player.json FPS settings dont seem to cover this? Thank you.

GertjanD likes this.