Road America 2019, what a fantastic job !!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Delzimar, Oct 3, 2020.

1. dazzer

dazzer Registered

waiting for lilski to make more tracks so they can be converted to RF2 ... :D:D

atomed and McKiernan like this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes AC moding is a lot more convenient, a lot great projects emerges there, we are lucky if also skilled modders makes a conversion. By the way, Lilski also has nice one "Calabogie" https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/calabogie-motorsports-park.30099/

And..... I think I found what I don't like about this RA, it might not be layout actually... today I have had lots of great time in rF2, developing physics for cars, it is always so awesome when things starts to work out. I was driving Portland, then Road America, then VIR. Portland with saturated real road, RA with "high", VIR with naturally progressing at 10x. There is obvious feel that RA surface has a lot less bite for tires. I don't know if it is because of friction, or because of roughness parameters, I would guess that it is because of roughness, but whats the point of guessing... Portland and VIR obviously has better car feel, better FFB, better stability. VIR even at the first lap with Naturally Progressing real road already feels noticeably more stable, more solid. Cars at RA feels less confidence providing, body roll is lesser, FFB is lighter, check it out, I use "high" real road setting. If it is indeed the case and roughness parameters of RA tarmac are toned down, then I wonder if it is supposed to be so ? Anyone could check and see if you have same feel like me ? I could just open up RA files, check TDF.... but meh... not my business :D

@Chris Lesperance Thats really awesome footage and movie you have shared there, thanks a lot for those. Nice stuff.

3. dazzer

dazzer Registered

If I'm not mistaken, this Road America is also made from Lidar data, right?

Keith Carter likes this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It doesn't take friction of the very surface and things related (roughness) into accout.

5. Emery

Emery Registered

Everything that Lilski has made since Bridgehampton and Riverside are Lidar. Bridgehampton's T1 is Lidar because that still exists, but the rest is from a detailed topo map.

McKiernan likes this.
  6. dazzer

dazzer Registered

Great! I asked just out of curiosity, even if it wasn't, I would still see it as an excellent job

7. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Fantastic work indeed on a superb track. I am hoping for future content of these creators such as an update to Charlotte roval for example.

8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

You have a Pimax! Ive been looking at these and their 200o Fov, im very interested to know what the experience is like, how it affects FPS performance, how comfortable/uncomfortable on the head it is, sound etc. Would v much appreciate your thoughts if you have the time please mixer61. Cheers!

9. peevee

peevee Registered

Benchmark mod track. Great Job. Thank you

10. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I do have to say... there might need to be a few more grid spots added.

pkelly and Paul McC like this.
  11. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Feck me, how many cars!

Chris Lesperance likes this.
  12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

geez xD
    there is a track in that grid lol

Chris Lesperance and marmagas like this.
  13. Chris Lesperance

I believe the total was 78. It was funny as next to us was spotters for a driver. They were starting "mid pack" in 40th place. At the end of the race, they messaged their driver stating they finished in 26th. Driver radioed back that he didn't think he actually passed anybody. There was a couple accidents and cars that dropped out. It was crazy fun.

The SCCA Runoffs is a great time. So many cars that I think would fit right into rF2. I know there is a fairly dated Spec Miata mod out there. The Reiza pack having a different type of Formula Vee. I've been in love with F500/F600 since i saw it in the June Sprints. Spec Racer Ford Gen 3, that was a 59 car grid I believe. Prototype 1 with the old IMSA Lites cars (Elan DP09) along with a few rebodied Atlantics cars. Just a a lot of great looking cars that I think would be great in rF2

makan and Keith Carter like this.
  14. Keith Carter

Keith Carter Registered

There was a SRF mod in the original rFactor that was a lot of fun. The originator has no intention of converting it to rF2, but has given open permission to convert it. I'd love for there to be a SRF or a Spec Miata mod that is modern and well done. Just as you showed with the Spec Miata race at Road America, there was a similar SRF race before they went to G3 that had just around 100 cars at the June Sprints. It was awesome to see! As the tail end of the pack was going through T5 at Road America, the leaders were crossing the access road just past Billy Mitchell. Surprisingly on the first lap, everyone made it through T5!

15. Chris Lesperance

I took an evening to do a very very super quick conversion of the AC SRF2. It really is a great looking model. Just a proof of concept for me on converting an AC car into rF2. A ton of clean up is needed. As much as I would like to see it though, there is a lot that I don't know. Getting the steering access to work on an angled steering wheel, physics and sounds and so many other things. I'm on vacation the next week, but it might be something I work on when I get back, if there is an interest and if I can get permission from the original creator.

20201016212530_1.jpg

Emery, leseb64, Hazi and 3 others like this.
  16. Keith Carter

Keith Carter Registered

That's awesome!! I'd love to see a SRF mod in rF2! I don't have any real seat time in a SRF, but I don't think it would be too hard to find some testers if it ever comes to that.

17. Chris Lesperance

HAHAHA!! That video is here. It took a little while! It's probably long now as I'm not in the shape as I was then.

I feel comfortable with my abilities having everything working graphically. My issue is that I know nothing on creating physics. Especially from scratch. I'm able to take bits and pieces of other mods and combine it together, but there is nothing really close to the SRF to be able to copy from. The Panoz DP01 was my first foray into a bit of physics editing and that result was mixed at best. If I have testers say "hey the car is understeering too much because of tire grip", I wouldn't know what to change from that physics perspective. But we'll see if my motivation is still there after vacation, and see if I can get everything going from a graphics perspective and get proper permission from the original author. Then I'll create a thread (not to be hijacking this on, sorry), I could to a WIP beta, and hopefully someone with better physics experience would be able to create a set. I still have the IndyPro 2000 skins to finish yet LOL!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  18. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered