rFactor 2 with Oculus Quest 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JParra, Oct 13, 2020.

1. JParra

JParra Registered

Hello community, I know that perhaps it is too early to ask this question, considering that precisely today, is the official launch of the Oculus Quest 2.

But I am almost determined to buy the new Oculus Virtual Reality device, as long as (and this is essential) it allows me to run rFactor 2 with the fluidity and quality necessary to compete, at least, with the quality of my current Oculus Rift CV1.

My question to the community is if any of the rFactor 2 drivers have already tried this combination and what results have they obtained.

I also have to say that I currently run rFactor 2 virtually on a GTX 1080 and that on most tracks (the official ones at least) I can take the graphics to the maximum (less post-processing effects) with about 15 or 20 cars in track.

My doubts are about the following:

1. Quality comparison between Rift CV1 and Quest 2 using cable or Virtual Desktop with low resolution and 72Hz ("Quest 1" mode) with a graphic similar to my GTX 1080.

2. What quality and latency is achieved when running rFactor 2 natively on Oculus Quest 2 (4K approx) at 90 Hz, with Oculus Link and what graphics is necessary to achieve it.

3. What quality and latency is achieved when running rFactor 2 natively on Oculus Quest 2 (4K approx) at 90 Hz, with Virtual Desktop (Wireless Mode) and what graphics is needed to achieve it.

Thank you very much for your tests and opinions.

2. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Registered

I can't comment on the Quest 2 (it's not out yet, so who can!), but the Quest with Link can work okay. However, sometimes it can be a real pain in the arse, with it not recognising that it's plugged in, or it recognising but not enabling the "Start Oculus Link" button, or it allows you to press the "Start Oculus Link" button but the Rift home never fires up. All this requires much fannying around, but it always eventually works and often works first time, just never right before a league race!

3. Robes

Robes Registered

I have the Quest 2 and I am really struggling with it and rFactor 2. I can't get more than 36 fps no matter what resolution I use. rFactor 2 works fine with the Rist S.

With Automobilista 2 I can ramp up all the Oculus settings and it really looks quite incredible with a steady 72fps, shame I'm not really enjoying that sim.

Anyone else had the same issues?

4. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

From what I have read about Quest2 specific use in Sim racing, the Oculus Link seems to be the weak link, making it a lesser option than conventional PC VR goggles.
    As a stand alone it seems to be outstanding.
    Until the way to connect a Quest2 to a PC is improve, it seems to be a waste of time and money.

5. Robes

Robes Registered

For some reason the 60Hz limitation was due to my monitor. I've turn on 165Hz on my monitor and it's improved.

For PC I think it's pretty impressive really. The software hasn't yet been updated to take advantage of the Quest 2 yet, the update is coming in November I believe, but it's pretty good just now alright. You can tweak the settings in the oculus diagnostics tool and it does make it appear sharper.

Altogether I'd say it's not as sharp as the Rift S, but the screen is much nicer - really don't see any screen door at all. AC looks incredible, rFactor looks ok - not sure why AC and Automobilista appear to be sharper.

6. basementjack

basementjack Registered

Seems like you'd want the HP Reverb 2...