AI formation lap spacing

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by PatientRF2fan, Oct 1, 2020.

1. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Any way to space the ai out for a formation lap?

They are bumper to bumber...

2. Brent

Brent Registered

Unfortunately not easily in game. The good news is I believe I've seen where you can set the spacing when you create the grid positions within the AIW for the track. The bad news, fixing it takes a bit of tedious work, the grid positions are set by X,Z,Y coordinates that are very difficult to edit manually. It requires unpacking the track and getting it to load in Devmode and regenerating the grid.

Refer to the AIW creation guide PDF. Creating a new grid and alt grid is fairly easy with the auto-generate feature but the guide misses a crucial step of recording the 2nd place starting grid space for it to work. You record the inside and outside starting positions manually and the rest of the places are auto generated

I'd look at the AIW with the AIW editing menu/ and the show/hide section to see where the current grid and alt grid positions are currently setup. Exit Devmode, then you have to use a text editor/notepad to delete the grid and altgrid from the AIW file and return to Devmode and regenerate new ones. you create the new starting grid I believe there's a setting in the menu options that you can increase the value to increase the spacing between rows. Anytime you work with a AIW create a backup, just in case. If the grid and altgrid positions are the same you can copy paste the auto-generated one into the other.

If this seems way too much, let us know what track and mod you're having an issue someone might be able to help.

PatientRF2fan likes this.
  3. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Thanks so much for your response Brent. Indeed I have been deep into AIW HDV TBC etc. Crazy how all the info is so scattered.
    I have made the auto grids before and it doesnt seem to affect the formation or caution lap spacing. I will look into it more as max spacing is 30. making my own personal Cart 98 season mod. Big project.
    upload_2020-10-6_0-52-56.png

upload_2020-10-6_0-53-13.png

4. Brent

Brent Registered

That looks to be a great mod! Yeah I see max spacing is 30. I've always used 9 and it's worked well for stockcars. I see there's a waypoint distance, I've never adjusted that, it's set at 5 on mine by default. I'm curious if the waypoint distances affects formation spacing?

Did you record new paths or are you using ones from a conversion? Maybe save a backup copy of your AIW (always good to do when working with AIWs) to another location and re-record the track main path, left and right and fastest paths.

5. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Thanks again Brent for replying. I am doing everything almost. And backup.... oh yes learned the hard way once

Altered CART 98 mod
    sounds, Talent file, added onboard sway adj, fixed half size mirror on Reynard low detail opponent
    using motec for setups and AI using same setup

Tracks
    Loading screens, icon maps, labeling for in game (ex CART98 Round3 Long Beach) Wet files for that years weather
    Grids, Formation, Yellow tolerance, Scn file optimization (removing frame hogs Belle island had 2500 trees LOL)
    AIW fast block left right pacecar corridors

Big project just for me and one friend on lan

Tyler

6. Brent

Brent Registered

I just noticed in the AIW, the [Waypoint] section there's a variable for LaneSpacing. On mine it's set to=4.50 I'm not sure if this is the spacing between the inside and outside lane, the front to back spacing of cars, or both. I'd try manually txt editing the AIW file and see if it's that.

7. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Indeed, tried that one, i understand it is lane sharing on one line. maybe someone else knows what it does?