Nice improvement we saw in 2020.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kahel, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Easy to focus on what's wrong...
    So I figured I'll spend so time thinking about what I liked, that was added relatively recently...

Let's make it simple:
    - Pit-stand: ligthning, details.
    - 24h cycle: transition, ambient lightning.
    - Silverstone: texture, environment details.
    - Le mans
    - 488 GTE: modele, mesh, interior, exterior, texture.
    - Option to skip damage during pit.
    - The ongoing work on trying to chase and fix multiplayer 'freeze'
    - Tools and manuals available for the community

Etc... I'm missing some but will add them as they come to mind.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  3. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

The graphics, UI, a LOT of new high quality content and so on, an awesome year.

BTW S397 need to fix the freeze when the game save part of the replay in the disk during the gameplay, is quite frustrating.
    I have no idea how it will be at the sources level but the solution to this will not be to put in another thread the management the replays buffer?.
    It seems that the process stops while the PC writes the partial part of the replay to the disk and then continues the cycle.:)

atomed likes this.
  4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

@Kahel is trying to post a positive thread of the things he likes about rFactor 2. Shall we keep this one ON topic of nice things we like? Rather than dragging it down the rabbit hole that every thread seems to go of what people "think" rFactor 2 needs (everyone's opinion differs and always leads to arguments over nothing but differences) or what they don't like.

Plenty of other threads to post the "constructive criticism" and bug reports etc.... let this thread continue how it started.... things we like.

Filip likes this.
  5. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I agree, there are already plenty of threads telling what S397 did not do or did bad. At least one thread showing what S397 did and did well should be just fair. Though I could list a lot more major things S397 did and did well since they took over rF2 development.

Just to name those I can remember:
    * added VR support
    * added DX11 support
    * added post effects
    * added full licensed car grids (13! GT3s, GTEs, LMPs)
    * added cars similar to road cars like BMW M2 CS, Porsche Cup
    * added laser scanned tracks (not seen in that quality in simracing before: Sebring, LeMans, Nordschleife+Nürburgring, Monaco ..)
    * improved rain support a lot, tracks and cars
    * added PBR (physics based rendering, tracks, cars and interior)
    * still in development new UI (backend, fronend, first step new UI on latest technology, later optimize and refine new UI)
    * still in development new competition system (backend probably ready, new frontend)
    * organized most watched simracing events like 24h LeMans using rF2, corrected bugs
    * still gave us great historic content for free (1970s F1 March and McLaren, 1980s F1 McLaren, 1990s F1 McLaren)
    * still gave us other quality series mostly for free: Radicals, Tatuus.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Remco Majoor, U. Daniel and GeraArg like this.
  6. lagg

lagg Registered

I think Broadcasting Overlays are going to be a major improvement for rF2, attracting new people.

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I did not have any freezes in single player for months now. Except when making screenshot for first time, but that matters little, because it is easily avoidable. Having not a single freeze improves quality a lot. Then of course subtle, but yet massive graphical stuff improvements are very awesome. I am very happy about portland raceway, and very impatient about updated nordschleife.

8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

It is not in 2020, but what has changed the game the most according to my expectations, is first the new tire model that has been implemented for the GT3s, then the second tire model that has been set up for GTEs.

It's been a few years ago, but it has been my main satisfaction since the start.