Setting up a dedicated server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andy Bonar, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Hi all
    I returned recentlyto rf2 after a long break, and found it difficult to find info on how to setup and configure a dedicated server.
    After pulling info together, I made a video, mainly for friends to help them do the same.
    Ive had some decent feedback for it on youtube, so thought I would share it here in case it helps anyone out.

Apologies as its not done by a pro youtuber, but hopefully it gets the messages out.

I also did a short follow up on how to enable hosting of DLC

Binny and JimmyT like this.
  2. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Registered

I can't get this working, All times the server say that there is no mods installed, but the ModManager show the mod intalled.
    don't you use a separeted installation folder for the dedicated server?

3. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Only thing I can think is the mod manager is not pointing at the correct paths for the rfactor2 installation and packages folders.
    Its at the bottom of mod manager and click the B button to browse to the correct folders.

You can use steam cmd to install the dedicated server but i saw that as a more complicated way for maintaining your workshop items.
    I installed the game as I would on my gaming machine, and jsut log into steam on it whenever updates appear on my games machine. Seems a lot easier that way to me. You dont need to be logged in on steam when just running the dedicated server.

4. Stringbean781

Stringbean781 Registered

@Andy Bonar
    I am having this same issue. I used to run servers all the time, but now it says there are no mods installed and to install at least one mod. I have install a mod many different ways and I still get the same error. My mod manager directory is pointing to the correct packages folder too. Please help because I don't want to deal with the old steam cmd. Not sure if this helps, but I have tried clicking the "host" button at the bottom of the launcher and that opens the terminal with the line below...
    < chat >:

Attached Files:

5. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

How are you trying to start the server. If I try and start from the .exe I get that. I use a shortcut with this target: "D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +path=".."
    You would need to change the path of course.

6. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Not sure, but it sounds like you are trying to start the dedicated server from within the rf2 launcher. You need to run the dedicated server exe from within the windows file structure. I'm not on my pc at the moment, so can't quote exact paths.

7. Shadak

Shadak Registered

Same here, I can only make the server work from my machine with the path. Like noname said:
    put this at the end of dedi exe shortcut target field +path="I:\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\"

Obviously change it to your path

8. Marcus Brooks

Marcus Brooks Registered

where do you copy +path= in and what comes before/after. I have tried various with no joy.

This is my path in the Target field;

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe"

9. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

10. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

Does anyone think a "Dedicated Server Tool" is a needed program? A stand alone program to setup a host?

11. Marcus Brooks

Marcus Brooks Registered

Yes 100%. Its accessibility that keeps people away. Best SIM by a mile.

I have tried;

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe"+path=".."

It rejects this? What am I missing or doing wrong please?

12. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

This is the whole text that is in my Target box:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2"

For my second server etc, its:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2"+profile=player2

Image below shows 4 dedicated server shortcuts on my desktop, and the detail for the second server

Capture.JPG

13. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Make sure there is a space between the “ at the end of dedicated.exe and + path command... eg

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +path=".."

14. Marcus Brooks

Marcus Brooks Registered

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Got this working yesterday a treat. However, today is a new day. For some reason I now cannot see my server in the list. When I open my dedicated sever shortcut, that automatically loads the game in Steam. I dont think that was doing that yesterday. Something has gone wrong however I do not believe I have changed anything? Any ideas whats happened here?

15. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

Did you reboot the server pc? if you did then it probably has a different ip address now. So check that. Because your router will have the old ip not the new ip.

SS

16. Marcus Brooks

Marcus Brooks Registered

Hi SS. I did, but the ip address remains unchanged. It's really odd. I spent most of Sat on and off to get it all to work which I did. Then the following day, for whatever reason I am unable to see the server in the multiplayer list :(

Would you or anyone recommend uninstalling the game and going through the process again, or anything else?
    Thank you, Marcus

17. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

There's no point in doing an uninstall that would be a waste of time, since it already worked. Very strange that it stopped, once it's setup it stays that way.
    I don't know what has change since you had it running, so all I can suggest is check everything again, but I'm sure you would have done that already.

SS