rF2 won't load after Win reinstall

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by artvega, Oct 2, 2020.

1. artvega

artvega Registered

Hi guys,
    I had rf2 working fine in my old PC, but I changed motherboard and CPU (from AMD to Intel) and I had to reinstall Windows 10. Reinstalled Steam, but copied the previous directories and all games worked fine except for rF2. After clicking the helmet in the launcher, would get the splash rf2 logo and it would hang. I then tried verifying the integrity of the files but no errors were detected. Still same problem. So I uninstalled rf2 from Steam and then installed it again, but same problem, rf2 splash logo just hangs and nothing happens. Is there anything you suggest I can check? do I need to provide some logs?
    Thanks for any help.
    /Art

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Support\Runtimes in your rF2 folder. Run all 4 files, Install each of the runtimes.

@artvega and if that doesn't work, try DirectX. (Support\DirectX).

3. artvega

artvega Registered

Thanks Lazza, I tried both but neither worked. In the launcher I see the message "All mods and components verified".

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@artvega you could try to make sure there are no problematic config files or similar by renaming or moving out your whole UserData folder, verify rF2 files in steam again, and try again.

(renaming or moving it means you won't lose your stuff, though if it works you'll have to copy stuff back over that you need)

@artvega muz_j's reply made me realise you're probably misinterpreting that game message about components. That's purely about content (cars, tracks, ...) and doesn't mean all aspects of your system or even all the game's core files are in full working order.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  5. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Have you actually checked the list of installed applications and verified the C++ run-times are installed ?
    I appreciate this may sound pedantic, but given it will take you 10 - 20 seconds to do so - I recommend you do it.
    From your comments, it sounds to me like you're saying you have installed the run-times, but you really should confirm that they are listed as being installed.
    eg:
    VC Win 10 runtimes installed list 2.jpg

artvega likes this.
  6. ChalkyWIS

ChalkyWIS Registered

Check the all_vehicles.ini file has the correct path inside
    upload_2020-10-2_22-49-26.png
    I moved my rF2 install in Steam and had to go and edit this file to correct the new folder location on all the cars listed. Otherwise rF2 just sat at the logo screen and never loaded.

Emery and artvega like this.
  7. artvega

artvega Registered

Thank you @ChalkyWIS , this was the problem. It was still pointing to the previous G: drive instead of D:. I thought that would have been changed when I reinstalled it in Steam.

ChalkyWIS likes this.
  8. artvega

artvega Registered

Thank you @muz_j as you can see in my previous reply, now the problem is solved, it was because the car file was pointing to a previous driver. But anyway, in which folder can I see the installed runtimes? in the runtimes folder I only see the executables/application files, but even after I run them, I don't see where the resultant files are now stored, are they supposed to be in that same directory? Sorry if my question is too basic. :)
    Thanks,
    Art

muz_j likes this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

His screenshot is showing the installed apps in windows. They don't install into the game folder.

muz_j likes this.
  10. Emery

Emery Registered

Thanks for your reminder! Just finished migrating to a new computer this morning and had to do the same thing. Don't forget to edit the same file for ModDev.

ChalkyWIS likes this.
  11. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Yes - exactly.
    I created my post as the way you had worded your earlier reply, it wasn't clear to me that you understood that the C++ run-times are operating system components and not actually part of the game itself.
    They are required by the game and many other applications require different versions of those, depending on the version of C++ that they rely on - which is why you can see in my screenshot - I have other versions installed, as well as the ones that rFactor 2 uses (the ones I have highlighted with the green rectangle).

All good though - you got the problem sorted, which is the main thing.