Ai and rain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeremy Talbot, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Registered

@Marcel Offermans @Christopher Elliott @Rene Buttler I understand that ai tweaks are further down the track but is there any chance you could fast track adjustments to how the ai work in the rain? It's basically impossible to get them to race or even practise as they continually pit and no dry line appears. This therefore means you cannot work on a wet setup, which is frustrating when it comes to league racing (vec).

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Personally I'd rather they work on all the AI issues than picking up one to "fast track" especially when there are arguably more important AI issues to fix first.

As for no Dry Line are you sure? That's worked just fine in the past with AI, official track? Rain stopped etc?

Emery likes this.
  3. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Registered

Always. There's been countless people bringing up the ai in the wet. Obviously ai in general has issues but being in new zealand it's tough getting the time to be on European servers with people on it to get a chance to work on a wet setup, hence why I think it's important to focus on the ai in the wet first.

I only race on official tracks as I drive in vec, pretty much exclusively.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

There's been countless people bringing up other AI issues too ;)

Begs the question why do you need AI to work on a wet setup?
    Also again are you absolutely sure you're not getting a dry line with the AI?

5. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Registered

Why would I write it if I wasn't getting it?

All we need is to stop the ai putting every lap, job done.

Have you worked on a wet setup when the track is 100% wet? It's not realistic for when you are racing because there is always a dry line when 40 other cars are driving.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok that's fine just trying to understand so that helps :)

Here's what you do until i can get home to test it myself:
    - Locate your Player.json file and move it to a safe location, run RF2 so that it creates a Fresh/Default version then try again and please report back of it helps or not.
    - If it doesn't then please detail the Exact Cars used, the Track (Layout) and most importantly the Weather Settings. Or better still PM me your player.json with the changes you've made (you may have to rename it to a .txt file to attach it) and I'll take a look tonight.

Jeremy Talbot likes this.
  7. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Registered

OK I'll have a look at it when I get home tomorrow :)

MarcG likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Also don't truncate your qualifying or warmup sessions. Let the AI finish the race with whatever weather you are experiencing. You can accelerate the time to speed things up, but don't just end those sessions.

Jeremy Talbot and Emery like this.
  9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just tested, GT3 @ Nurburgring GP - Sunny Start - Rain - Dry finish; AI pitted for Wets, Rain stopped and the Dry Line started to appear, AI then pitted for Slicks to the finish.

As above try the Player.Json idea first :)

10. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Registered

Sounds good, I'll definitely check out the player.json.

I'm not home to test yet but if anyone could test a full wet race, no dry start or finish, and see how that goes?

11. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

Is this because the ai will get stuck behind slower cars and can’t overtake? The only reason I’ve come to the conclusion for but is there any other reasons?

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

no, although that is a huge issue, but if you cut the session short, the file the ai relies upon to know if it's raining or not won't get created or is not complete. Thus you get AI who start the race on dry tires and go OH! It's raining! and scurry to the pits to put on wets. Then, for some reason we've never discovered, the AI will spend much of the rest of the race pitting and swapping tires, racing a few laps come back in and exchange wets for dries...etc etc. Much of this behavior started on or after the v1109 release. Marc G might be able to add more detail.

FORMULAEFAN71 and Jeremy Talbot like this.
  13. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Registered

Ah, this is probably what is happening to me then. Nice one, thanks @davehenrie

14. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

I don't think it fixes that problem though. Just a similar one. The many pitstop one is just there regardless of what you do beforehand. Maybe all of the AI race strategists learned in the ferrari program :p

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

So if you have a Wet Race Start you need to have the previous session Finish Wet (Qualifying for example), otherwise the AI will start on Dry tires in blatant wet weather and immediately pit for wets on lap one (known issue, this workaround works just fine).

Don't ever click "Finish Session" as that messes with the AI in other ways, let the session run its course either in real time or with time acceleration.

Bidle, Jeremy Talbot and davehenrie like this.
  16. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Registered

Ok so I've done some testing and basically the AI won't ever let the session change. They keep coming out of the pit at the end of the timed session and go through the red light at pit exit and onto the track. I tried in both practise and quali and it happened in both sessions.

Track was both the s397 Silverstone Endurance and the VEC version
    Cars were the endurance cars (Senna, Oreca, all GTE's) both stock s397 and VEC versions

Nothing changed between the car and track combos

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That's a different issue but easily avoided by advancing to the next session.

18. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Registered

Yeah but if I want the wet session to still be valid for the ai to use then I can't skip the session.

19. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Registered

Actually it doesn't matter. I just won't use ai in the wet, or at all for that matter. Not a lot of point

20. Emery

Emery Registered

You're overthinking this. When the session clock ends, it's safe to advance the session.