Can we have BETTER VISIBILITY in the night in our beloved Sim rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pedro ramada, Sep 27, 2020.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The car is the Vantage GTE,(logo on the wheel). I always go back to when the Audi's and Peugeots were contesting LMP1. The pugs acquired a guest driver from World Rallye(I can't remember his name. Someone famous, probably a French Champ--Sebastian Loeb?) and he was amazed at how poor the car lights were at Le Mans. His Rallye car had much greater candlepower, throwing further and wider.
    I think the iRacing screengrab is too bright, might as well have a giant spotlight taped to the roof. I prefer to feel like I'm driving at night rather than in a bowl like the Rolex 24hr where you can circulate the entire lap with your lights off but the last rF2 image shows some improvement may be needed.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

^^^ This!

The in-car videos posted from Le Mans and Daytona are at full night rather than twilight. In both cases, there is a fair amount of artificial lighting helping to boost the ambient light at the track.

P.S. I should add that I've raced at night in ChumpCar (they got the ChampCar name in past year or two). Without stadium lighting/street lights, it's much different than what is represented in those in-car videos from Le Mans and Daytona.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

4. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Aren't LMP2/1 lights far brighter than a chumpcar? I sometimes see teslas with lights so bright it might as well have been daytime. Then again, we aren't traveling 300 KPH then, but LED lights are very bright, and have very sharp edges. In rF2 it still uses H7 in high beam or something. It is sufficient and good enough, but maybe they should be made a bit more like LED lights/

5. pedro ramada

pedro ramada Registered

Hey Remco :).

I think in overall we suffer a bit with poor lights visibility in rf2... that is clearly noticable compare it even with the other sims and real life... whatever they need to do to improve it i think they S397 should!! Even increase a bit more the percentage of headlights with a more white strong light should do the trick... and us when racing in sunset and the night coming down we don't suffer has much just for the simple fact the thar we are driving have more light!! :);)

Adrian Blasco likes this.
  6. pedro ramada

pedro ramada Registered

Why should we suffer with visibility right!??

Lmp and GTE car nowadays give some much light that is comfortable for them to drive... why us in the sim can't have the same!?? :D that's my only point

7. Stevy

Stevy Registered

I totally agree that we need better lights for night driving.
    Just did a night race at Le Mans in a LMP2 and holy shut was driving in the dark difficult.
    And no not difficult because night but difficult because the light don't light the track.
    You can't see enough when going 300kmh+.
    And in the end it's not about realsim or not. It's just no fun to drive at the night.
    Which makes a whole feature of the game no fun to use.
    It may be realistic for older cars but not for cars which are younger than around 2010

8. SRGP

SRGP Registered

I could be wrong, but i believe the rF2 lightning update (in June ?) has had the side effect to reduce the cars lightning at night.

Would it be possible to make an "Upgrade" just for better headlights ?
    This could be a usefull temporary solution, in the wait for a proper fix.

9. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

I love driving le mans at night and I think S397 have done a great job perfecting the track for night race. But it could use a bit more headlight, but not so much that you drive in a bubble as one here describes it. ACC's lights is way wrong and more like that bubble.
    I think the lights should be more forwarding and not so much to the sides. And if they could have some "light cone effects" it would be great. real headlights have uneven lightcone pattern on the tarmac/fences.

Here's an example from two youtube videos Rf2 vs real A470 (exposure even turned down in right picture)
    rf2-lmp2-lemans.png

link to the videos (not my work)

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Is exposure really turned down on that right picture ?

What about this footage ?

I like the recent lighting configuarion in rF2, finally the darkness is actually darkness. And IDK, Woochoo has configured beams correctly for our 1967 cars mod, and even going at 340km/h + I find it still managable rather well. And in 1967 they did not have very impressive headlights. Nowdays they hardly reach 340km/h and headlights are insane. I know people wants headlights that would turn night to day, bet perhaps you just don't like night then ? Whats the point of night if you then drive in a bubble of daylight and night is as dark as it would be with full moon and clear sky. You can cheat with gamma settings, and hope that something like "counter measure" in DayZ doesn't happen (I hope it does :D).

11. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I do think we could do with a bit more light from the headlights in rF2. When navigating turns at speed, it's pretty easy to become disoriented at times, being that some of the trackside reference-points simply are not illuminated sufficiently. In RL videos, most modern cars seem to provide plenty of light for that purpose. I wonder if the AI have to contend with those same issues(?)

It seems to me, we also need to consider some environmental factors though. Wet surfaces reflect more of the light, so wet tracks (& roads) tend to be far less illuminated under such conditions. Ambient light and track-side lighting play a large role in how effectively the car's headlights [appear] to be working in terms of contrasting illumination levels. Pitch black darkness with no track-side lighting should result in extremely well lit track surfaces (by contrast).

12. Emery

Emery Registered

Yes, but only traveling 90-120 mph, not 160+ mph.

13. Emery

Emery Registered

Exactly my response to OP's complaint about twilight being too difficult in rF2. It is exactly the worst time in real life, too.

Also, everyone needs to remember that cameras don't see light quite the same way as we do with our eyes, even with the higher tech now used.

RaceNut likes this.
  14. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

I love rf2 at le mans especially at night, this is just suggestions to make it better.
    Taken your example from the reallife video (9:53).
    Udklip.PNG

the illumination distance is longer in real as shown here.
    those darkspots would give the headlights more visible to the eye effect and "volmetric" feeling.

Explained otherwise, give the headlights a "lightmap" like this.
    [​IMG]

15. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Yes, if we think about "Lux" ratings with camera's, the way light is represented in photo / video output can vary quite a bit.

Another often ignored factor is that of reflectivity, or use of reflective paint / vinyl on track surfaces, curbing, buildings, barriers, etc. Headlights may illuminate those more in real life than as currently represented in-game.

16. Adrian Blasco

Adrian Blasco Registered

esto es algo urgente, hoy probar el nuevo ferrari de noche me ha dado mucha tristeza lo pobre que es la iluminación interior, rfactor es el mejor para drag racing y con todos los interiores de autos negros sin ningún detalle le quita toda la magia, da la risa. y más cuando son autos oficiales de pago que esperas que están perfectamente recreados por dentro y por fuera, y probando hoy el ferrari o el lmp y en VR el interior es muy pobre. 20200930165816_1.jpg

Toro likes this.
  17. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Totally agree. The lights in rF2 are pretty realistic and not overdone. Although I do think they should give the LED lights sharper edges

Adrian Blasco likes this.
  18. Adrian Blasco

Adrian Blasco Registered

please, stop so much formula E :Dand give us realism to the game! more intense and interior lights with their displays or interior illuminated buttons, assign a button in options to turn on the purple light of the interior, no, something. but not all black that you can't see the steering wheel or anything. Will we see it in some not too distant future? @Christopher Elliott :p

19. Kahel

Kahel Registered

+1 to slow down the formula E content...

Toro and Adrian Blasco like this.
  20. lagg

lagg Registered

Instead of ask for something that you want, you ask for slowing down what others want?
    Then i could say
    Slow Down GTs
    No?