Adjusting Camber in RF2 using temp difference between inner and outer tire temps?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Havlena, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Michael Havlena

Michael Havlena Registered

Hi guys,
    Fairly new to rf2. Typically, on other sims, one can adjust camber by looking at the Delta temp between inner and outer tire temps. If the delta temp is too large, say larger than 8 deg C or so, reducing camber can reduce this delta.

The above method doesn't seem to work with rf2 as I've noticed that the delta tire temps are always large and reducing camber does not necessarily reduce delta temps across the tires.

Is there a better way to adjust camber in RF2?
    Any guidance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Emery

Emery Registered

Are you looking at the tire temps while cornering or only after straightening out the steering? Are you using data capture or just the rF2 garage?

3. Michael Havlena

only using rf2 garage....

4. williang83

williang83 Registered

If you are using the garage data then you should keep in consideration the amount and length of straights, the amount of corners and how fast they are to eventually compensate those values. You cannot simply apply the 10 degree delta between inner and outer and middle average. This method is a bit trivial and not straightforward, indeed in real life tire wear spread is much much much more reliable and story telling than temperature at pitstop. Unfortunately in rF2 we do not have any sort of access to tire wear spread.

For last but not least, regardless the method you use, it is crucial that you start monitoring the temperature only after the pressures has stabilized which might take 4-5 laps (on most tracks) and of course do not lock up or do anything weird otherwise you might invalidate the data gathering according to the method you use.

Emery likes this.
  5. Comante

Comante Registered

I would rely more on in cockpit temperature reading, that being in real time, and being relative to the very outer surface of the tires, are more informative about how much of the tire touch the ground and where most of the load is concentrated (higher spike in temperature). Surely it is harder to examine them while cornering, but a glance here and there and you get an idea.

6. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Press (alt =) twice. This will show you contact patch temps

Emery likes this.
  7. Michael Havlena

Curious...when I hit alt= twice, I get a graphical display that shows color change of the temps, but no actual temps....

8. doddynco

doddynco Registered

You should also look at the LCD - car info screen. This will give you the average contact patch temperature across the tyre, as well as a graphical representation of the inner/mid/outer.

If you need to know the contact patch temp as a number for each 1/3 of the contact patch, you could use simhub. I don't think this is really necessary unless perhaps you have problems seeing the colour variation in the LCD.

Changing camber definitely has a massive effect on the heating across the contact patch.

9. Michael Havlena

Ok thanks, got it, but why is it preferred to view the tire temps from the LCD as opposed to getting them from the garage? Is it because we know that the provided tire temps in the garage is broken? Because it sure seems like it is....

10. doddynco

doddynco Registered

In the garage, I think you're looking at the peak average for each 1/3 contact patch in the previous run. Not unusual to see some funky readings there if the car is being driven on the limit of grip.

Edit: pretty sure that David is right about this in the post beneath

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I think the garage is more accurate when you exit the track with the ESC key. If you drive back to the pits and trundle down to your pitbox, it gives the tire plenty of time to cool. If you are curious about temps, choose a corner, and as soon as you exit that corner, hit escape. Preferably offline, would be kind dis-courteous to wink out right in front of someone.

Emery likes this.
  12. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I always thought that garage values are the last tracked values before you went to press esc.

Press esc during a spin and garage will just show the overheated values for instance...