GT3 BOP Adjustments: 2020 Bentley & AI = Broken

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by prescient, Sep 25, 2020.

1. prescient

prescient Registered

The 2020 Bentley appears to be very slow when driven by the AI. It looks to be 2.65 seconds per lap slower than the Aston Martin on average. You can see this in the table below. Generally after the BOP adjustments when driven by the AI the Callaway is the fastest and Bentley the slowest. The delta between the two is almost 4 seconds per lap. To bridge that gap when racing with the AI you would need an AI skill adjustment in the range of 144 pts.

[​IMG]
    To estimate the difference in performance per lap between cars I ran 21 AI with randomized skill for 15-30 laps on the following tracks:
    • Silverstone
    • Spa
    • Zandvoort
    • Paul Ricard
    • Nurburgring
    • Hockenheim
    • Monza
    • Misano
    After each run I recorded the fastest lap. With that data I ran a linear regression in the form of:
    • [gap to leader] ~ [track] + [car] + [AI skill]
    The model explains ~88% of the variance in the gap to the leader. The coefficient for AI skill is -0.026 which would me that a 1 point increase in AI skill equates to a -0.026 second decrease in the gap to leader. This is useful for determining how to setup AI skill files in rFactor 2. Unfortunately the 2020 Bentley is so far off pace that the AI skill in a field is unlikely to be able to be adjusted to bring the car in line with the rest of the GT3s.

On the plus side the 911 GT3 R is looking much more competitive on average. The radical is notably missing from the analysis, but last time I ran this analysis it was blazing fast. I'll include it the next time I run this when the Ferrari drops.

J7166, TJones, atomed and 4 others like this.
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

The Bentley AI seem to have difficulty with understeering. I think if you create a setup that's less understeery and assign it, then the lap times will fall in line. Don't spend too much time trying to perfect the setup, just go for the basics such as swaybar & aero changes.

P.S. Kudos for your thoroughness in testing! Just remember not to judge a car's potential for human drivers by how the AI drive.

3. prescient

prescient Registered

This is for me setting up my offline championship. I try to BOP the AI across cars so the field is consistent & mixed. I don't judge human performance based on this.

I'm a pretty terrible driver so for all I know the 2020 Bentley is the fastest car. I do like the new setups though. I'm much faster in the 720s than I was on the old baseline and am now only 3 seconds off a good time at Spa =)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    atomed, JRoque, Bidle and 1 other person like this.
  4. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Sadly I can confirm there is a big problem with the A.I. drivers for the Bentley. Just tested at Silverstone with 40 cars (GT3's). I was about 30th just off the pace of the next car. The last 10 cars were all Bentleys, none infront what so ever and running over 1.30 secs slower than everything else. Not only that i jumped into the cockpit of one of the A.I. driven Bentleys to find that they are doing the same thing the Merc AMG does, full locking it when totally unessarcary. Obviously this is a pretty serious problem which requires immediate attention. Hopefully Paul is reading these comments and will flag it up with the team. I was very much looking forward to a Bentley GT3 race with my mate Pete and a full field of A.I. today aswell, we had it planned as ive got a day off.

Anyway apart from that and as far as the car goes to drive, as i siad in a post earlier... I fecking love it!

Please fix the a.i. though!

atomed likes this.
  5. prescient

prescient Registered

I've been reflecting on this setup/AI/bop issue. I love this game. I love the tire model, the ffb, the flexibility to create whatever you want with little side programs, etc.

But it shouldn't be on the players to figure out of the AI is properly configured on paid content. We should be able to set a diificulty level and go. I've purchased every piece of studio 397 content so I'm a big supporter, but this sort of stuff is just lazy. It took me 1.5hrs to run this analysis. It likely took longer to put together the press release.

This mess up has lost me as a customer for now and I'll be moving my racing to ACC for the foreseeable future. ACC had a rocky start but seems to have gotten it's act together. I really hope rFactor can do the same as I love many aspects of the game.

Paul McC likes this.
  6. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

Indeed.. you should be paid for your analysis :D