Strong and Uncontrolled FFB Reaction - SimSteering2 & XAP F.R 2.0

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Universidad Nebrija, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Universidad Nebrija

Universidad Nebrija Registered

Good afternoon!

First of all, thanks for paying more or less attention to this post.

In our university, we are working with future engineers who want to work close to the competition. In order to teach them in a better way, 5 years ago, the direction bought a simulator equipped with Leo Bodnar SimSteering 2 (picture attached below) and a XAP Wheel (Formula Renault 2.0).

Up to now, we have been creating setups and teaching by using the original RFactor (i know it´s...too old) and, when preparing everything for that, we discovered that we had to invert some force feedback parameters in order to prepare the experience in a better way (picture attached below).

Then, a few days ago, we decided to prepare the new course with RFactor 2 and, after installing it, we are having a lot of problems that don´t let us...enjoy anything, honestly. Even if we try to change different aspects related to the SimSteering 2 map (picture atached below) or we take a look at different conversations and setups (in json file, ingame...) shared in this nice website, we can´t repair the uncontrolled and strong (and dangerous) force feedback strength that appears in this new game (video attached here: )

We would like to find the way to solve this and find a nice balance between FFB effects and a normal load transmitted through the wheel (not with these exagerated results).

I´m not an english spoken person, so i don´t really know if i have said everything in a good way. If that hasn´t been the case, sorry and, of course, i´ll be paying attention to every answer.

Thank you very much for your time.

Attached Files:

2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Hello,
    Which cars are you testing on?

Universidad Nebrija likes this.
  3. Universidad Nebrija

Hello Christopher.

We are trying to work with the Honda Civic NGTC BTCC, but i don´t really know if that can be the reason...

Thank you!

4. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I can help you here guys. Could you please send me your controller.json ?

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I have sim steering too
    Although not used it for a while
    From memory your ffb strength settings are way to high , turn them right down until it feels natural & useable

6. Universidad Nebrija

Hello Doddynco. Thank you very much for your help and interest.

I have taken a look at some of our files that can be useful/modified. I attach them below

Attached Files:

7. Universidad Nebrija

Hi Adrian!

First of all, thank you very much for your previous conversations in this website. They are very helpful.

We´ll keep trying according to your words.

Thanks!

8. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Hi,

This should work fine now.

1.Firstly, set your wheel profile settings and click apply:
    • Wheel Angle: 1080
    • Damping: 0 (You may want to tweak this later to help with oscillations, but use it sparsely - anything above 0 is changing the ffb signal away from the pure/intended physics)
    • All effects scale: 50% - Bodnar Manual states '100% shown in software would actually be 50% if changed here.' Therefore I'm quite sure this should be 50% (actually 100%). Bodnar have made this very confusing as according to that statement, I think the scale they've used is actually 0%-200%. If the wheel feels too light then I may be wrong and this may have to be set at 100%.
    • Game Damping: 100% (doesn't do anything in Rf2)
    • Inertia: 0% (Will likely interfere with physics more than it will help oscillations)
    • Friction 0-10% (Tweak this later to reduce oscillations - perhaps set it to 5% for now but the lower you can set it the better.)

2.Then, place 'Nebrija.txt' into the controller folder: rFactor 2\UserData\Controller
    3.Open RF2 and click option>controls
    4.Click load and use the arrows to find Nebrija.txt, click accept
    5.If necessary, tweak a vehicles ffb strength using the 'Car specific FFB Multi' in the pit menu screen.

The only thing im unsure about is the 'All effects scale:'... But I am sure that it should be set to either 50% or 100%. Try 50% first.

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

9. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Great project and school!

Additionally to the help others gave, i would not advise to use a FWD car as reference for your rig initial setup because to me they are not great in rf2.use a more neutral gte or gt3 instead

10. Universidad Nebrija

Thank you very much. It works really well right now thanks to your settings.

doddynco likes this.
  11. Universidad Nebrija

Oh, i´ll check! . Thank you very much!