View Cockpit and trackside camera simultaineously SOLVED! Completely solved!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul McC, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Is there anyway to do this?

What I mean is if i am using one PC and I have two screens hooked up can one screen be for the driver (cockpit view) and one for a spectator (Trackside camera)?

I know if I have two PC's lanned up i can spectate on one and drive on the other, but im wondering if it can be done with 1 PC. So if a mate comes round and I wanna watch him race from trackside or vice versa.

Have had a look at the broadcast overlay webpage, that just seems to control a client, no actual video on the page.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Cheers for any advice!

RealGT likes this.
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

If you run a local server, it might be possible. You, as player join the server on one screen and then, on the second screen, you join the server as a spectator. Problem is I doubt you can run two instances of rF2 on the same computer (no problem running server & 1 instance).

3. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Found a Steam guide to having multiple installs on one PC (ive got multiple installs of RF1 on my old PC for different mods). Never tried running two installs of Rfactor at same time though. Wondering if it would not work with same steam ID. My RF1 installs were not steam copys.

4. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

My old computer is off for fixing, when it comes back if i can't do this with one PC I could use both as RF2 is installed on both, but i read somewhere that you can't run two copies at the same time as Steam will prevent it, could i not do it over lan rather than internet?

5. Corti

Corti Registered

I know I had seen it ;)

RealGT likes this.
  6. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

So it's outputting to 3 separate screens on the wings and centre mirror, cool! But I'm wondering if it can output your driving view and trackside (TV) came at the same time?

RealGT likes this.
  7. Corti

Corti Registered

I don't know how, but each mirror reproduces a different image, if you look closely, each one is moving with its reflection. If there are delays in the transmission ... I suppose that if it is a private lan network it should not, otherwise it is in multiplayer mode

8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I have two PC's working now, both with RF2 installed. I want to use one to race RF2 and the other to join the session as a spectator so that I can run a race on 1st pc and friends can watch from the trackside cameras on the other.
    Can I just connect the two PC's via a single ethernet cable, host a LAN session on one and join as a spectator on the other?

9. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Just tried to run RFACTOR2 on both computers with steam in offline mode, started RF2 on main machine fine, started RF2 on 2nd machine and got a steam message saying "you are about to run rf2in remote play" clicked ok and it tried to start but got "authentication error"

10. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Oh and steam says it's trying to stream it.

11. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok now figured that out, RFACTOR2 now runs on both pc's. Can't get both on Lan server though

12. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

This had 2 PCs in there. One fore the front view, and one simply looking back for the mirrors

RealGT likes this.
  13. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Thanks but, that's already been posted

14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

So now I'm able to get server to show in Lan list but can't run RF2 on two PC's as Steam won't let me. Arrgghh!

15. Emery

Emery Registered

If you're really desperate to do this, create a second Steam account and buy another rF2 license (plus any DLC required for the race you want to view)? As a practical matter, you'd probably want to wait until there's a Steam sale.

Paul McC likes this.
  16. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok I've figured out how to do it but there's still a problem.. I have to be connected to the net!

I can run RF2 on two computers at the same time with Steam in offline mode on both computers, I can run RF2, host a server from the launcher set it to LAN (you have to change port in the multiplayer JSON file for server to show up in lan), start it up, go to multiplayer in the launcher (nothing comes up as its in WAN mode by default and Steam is offline), set that to search for LAN and bingo! Up comes my server. I can join it on PC Number1 (same PC running server obviously) and im in!
    Go to PC Number2 open RF2, go to multiplayer and set that to search for LAN and again bingo there it is! Now ive got exactly what i want, i set PC number2 to spectate as im not planing on driving on that one, and i can use it for viewing the car driving on PC number2 from trackside cameras. Great, this is awsome!

HOWEVER! If i pull the telephone cable out of the router (BT HUB) both PC's are connected to, therefore removing the internet. Then if i start the server on PC number1 and go to look for it under LAN it wont show up,not even on the same PC, let alone the 2nd PC!

What is this??? Does Steam not let you play LAN games unless you're connected to the internet??? Have i not setup my local area network properly? It seems to me that the signal is still being broadcast over the interent if it dissappears when i take away the internet, but the two PC's can see each other on the network without internet so, er, I dunno, im loosing my mind here!

Any ideas?

(oh and if you're wondering why it matters to me to be able to do it all without internet its because im gunna be setting up the whole thing in a pub so folks can watch the race from the trackside cameras as i race the A.I. And im not connecting to the pubs router as its way too far away from room i'll be doing it in, plus ports and all that.

RealGT and Emery like this.
  17. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Thanks, im confused about this +connect method ive seen it mentioned alot. Not really sure how it works, do you type that (and appropriate IP into Rfactor luncher?

RealGT likes this.
  18. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Thankyou. Thankyou! THANKYOU!!! You have no idea what this means! If you were here now I would fecking kiss you!!! THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corti likes this.
  19. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Thanks but don't need to, fecking did it! Woohoo!:)

Corti and Emery like this.
  20. lagg

lagg Registered

I'm trying to understand, how are you going to do this mantaining the security distance :p

Lazza likes this.