Targa Florio WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by 6e66o, Oct 1, 2012.

1. datasting

datasting Registered

2. maximus1971

maximus1971 Registered

32.39 I stop the simulation .... :eek:o_O:)

Bidle likes this.
  3. datasting

datasting Registered

My setup for the Alfa....have Fun

Attached Files:

atomed and maximus1971 like this.
  4. datasting

datasting Registered

I drive with 100% Damage and no Driving Aids....

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I feel like Targa might be most addictive race track in simracing actually. So far I have only been driving our 1967 mod cars, it is excelent testing track for medium and slow speeds, and just plain exciting. I feel that it would probably fit most of the cars, unless perhaps those with unrealistic and much worse than real low/medium speed handling.

I still drive a lap per day, only yesterday was way too tired, it was obviously not right to even attempt it. This track is rF2 - you have no idea whats going on at first, and the more you use it, the better it gets. I am feeling that with sixtes cars the most fun from targa there is with cars that go at pace of around 39-42mins per lap (though depends on how effective the braking is), it just feels spot on, faster speed is either too much brain melting, slower is..... too slow.

I wonder how would the fifties cars be. Haven't tried yet. I bet Targa Florio was hated by drum brakes like by nobody else.

Here is kool video with Nino Vaccarella

Oh and by the way... shouldn't all those black and white roadside objects be made out of concrete and dug into the ground ? But I certainly don't complain, because if thwy weren't, I would have few less laps completed, and laptimes worse :D

maximus1971 likes this.
  6. maximus1971

maximus1971 Registered

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Looking at those results, one thing popped out to my 60ish American eye. Ferrari Dino. Here, as far as I know, it was always listed as a Dino Ferrari. I don't know why, We don't do that with other car names. We don't say Challenger Dodge. But the correct format just 'sounds' wrong to my eyes.... lol.

8. maximus1971

maximus1971 Registered

@davehenrie : maybe it is in tribute to his son Dino Ferrari:
    Dino Ferrari is the son of the founder of the firm of the same name, Enzo Ferrari. Suffering from Duchenne muscular dystrophy, a serious genetic disease resulting in a dystrophin deficiency, he died prematurely in 1956, at the age of 24.( Wilkipedia ) .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    davehenrie likes this.
  9. softslider

softslider Registered

From the very simple road mesh picture you attached, now I got to know why there is unpleasant confliction feeling frequently on my DD wheel when I run this Targa Florio course.

In #438, you mentioned the followings.

...... But there is a way to generate a GPL visual layer that has the accuracy of physics layer, this will require original author to edit GPL track construction file(GTK) and add additional poly multipliers, which will result an more accurate 3do model, so in the end will have better and smoother feed back. ......

So can you please briefly estimate when we can expect this to be released? I'll be looking forward to seeing this come out!!

maximus1971 and Mauro like this.
  10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I found it would improve the feeling on the track tremendously to add a number of bumps on the track.

The work would be enormous if it were to put many bumps, but if we add only moderately, maybe it would be possible ?

I cannot know the investment it would require, not being a modder.

11. Mauro

Mauro Registered

The insane work is rework rf1 poor 3d road mesh to rf2 standard

P. S. Honestly for me better to use that time for made that work on 6-7 normal historic tracks then targa florio

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    svictor and Manfredk2 like this.
  12. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

6-7 normal tracks can't beat even a low quality Targa Florio tbh. This track is worth a lot of time. 6-7 tracks people would drive a few times, but Targa Florio people keep coming back to ;)

Corti and maximus1971 like this.
  13. Mauro

Mauro Registered

6-7 historic tracks could be much more useful for online leagues and events

But this isn't a competition
    If there will be a proper targa florio for rf2 i would be happy :)

Emery, Corti and maximus1971 like this.
  14. maximus1971

maximus1971 Registered

I think the Targa is obviously part of the legend of the auromobile race, except that it is athipic and sensational environment. This route is in the pantheon like the Pan América and very few others like the Nordschleife or the Grand Cirduit du Mans. If we think we have set up an international championship for special Targa Florio, I am not sure that we find around thirty drivers despite the many categories represented. What hurts Rfactor2 is the lack of historic cars, I am thinking of the 911rs, Lancia Fluvia, Alpha gta ... ect..ect .. is extremely frustrating.I imagine how we could have even more fun with our cars. ;)

atomed, Corti and Mauro like this.
  15. svictor

svictor Registered

This is unlikely to happen any time soon or at all.

In order to make it happen, here is a few problems that requires:
    1. Need contact original author to help construct a high poly 3do.

2. Base road mash in GPL also contains walls(and grass) and basic buildings. When import with low accuracy 3do model, some road section such as a long road without any bending (it actually bends in GPL with special code, but 3dsimed cannot extract it, only TrkMaker can), you also get a long section of wall that does not bend.

This means, if we are to rebuild surface with new high poly 3do from original author, we are also render all old wall, grass, and building models useless (because they don't fit into the bending surface). So it is pretty much rebuilding the whole track from start.

3. Even decided to do this, it will take months or year.

Of course, it is still possible to just do subdividing to this old low poly surface, but then it won't be improved much. It will be hard to find modders willing to dedicate on those.

16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Perhaps subdividing existing road mesh would be just enough for this track.

17. Emery

Emery Registered

Don't you have the problem of welding vertices of the subdivided road mesh to the roadside?

18. softslider

softslider Registered

Agreed. Needless to say, very detailed polygon will be the best. But on this track, I think plain force feedback without collision feeling seems enough as of now.

Bidle likes this.
  19. Bidle

Bidle Registered

To be honest, I already have loads of fun with it.
    Of course will only promote and cheer to any improvements made to this amazing track. Would also be willing to make a generous donation.

maximus1971 likes this.
  20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Me too - a lap per day or perhaps two if lucky :D ...with faster and stiffer car stair effects of rough simple low poly physical mesh is bit too apparent. But it doesn't spoil the track. Besides making some undulations and feel at some turns slightly harsher, mesh being very low poly in some of the straight or less twisty sections makes the track very smooth. It is double sided feature :D Targa Florio was bumpy.

@Emery It depends on how the mesh is set and techniques of modeling. Sometimes (often) transitional objects are placed over the edges of road verge and off-track verge, hidding possible tiny mismatches (there are few in my goodwood track which I should work out). I am not entirely sure if that is what is used in this track, possibly not. Then the subdivision would have to be applied in such way that it wouldn't change the geometry of road edges. Welding also isn't necessary, which would technically mean makign everything a single mesh, it is ok if geometry is just matching. However, it would actually be more realistic for geometry to mismatch, because it would rarely be a case in roads of real life, that levels of road edges matching perfectly. There are multiple other modelling solutions for holes between meshes to cover up, but I think it would be doable without creating much of those holes in the first place...

[​IMG]

Emery likes this.