80's track different little problems help

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by trollray, Aug 27, 2020.

1. trollray

trollray Registered

Alright,
    instead of making a new thread all the time, i create this thread to post all my different problems that i will encounter when doing my f1 80's championship edition tracks update.
    All your knowledge has already help me in this project.
    Thanks already to both of you ;) !!

Next help needed.
    One track (brands hatch from @philrob ) have no reflexions in wet except the cars.
    I have also some parts with shadows (bridges) but not for trees.
    Any ideas?
    In 3dsimed, objects shadows and stuffs looks right.
    don't know what can cause this.
    Cheers ;)

2. trollray

trollray Registered

No idea? Really ?:(:(o_O

3. redapg

redapg Registered

@trollray There can be several Reasons, i guess.
    For the missing Reflections, did you check the "ReflectionMapper=..." Entries in the SCN File?
    Are there some?
    And the Shadows, are the Meshes, that cast no Shadows, tagged with ShadowCaster=... ?
    Ot do they use separate Shadow Objects?

4. trollray

trollray Registered

@redapg Thanks for the help, i need to go further in this and continued with other tracks before getting back to this problem.
    I'll give you feedback soon ;)

Was a bit out of my pc yesterday ;)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  5. trollray

trollray Registered

@redapg ,thanks i think i've found the problem in gen file. Bad syntax

To all :
    I've got a question here that can sound stupid but anyway i need an answer;)
    I want to use the new ibl shaders for metal barriers and curbs ( and further more if i can masterize it with your help ;) ).
    I've open the lochdrummond track and i see the different dds.
    i'm using gimp and 3dsimed only.
    1 : i can't open the alba texture in gimp, aos,nm and mr are ok. Soi can't compare the values of my albedos with the template of s397.
    2 : There are two dds in barriers lochdrummond shaders that are not present. Something like a ..._...C7.dds stuff and ..._...C5 if i remember well. Don't know what they are (The C7 is on diffuse second channel i think, not in face of my pc now )
    2 : How to create the _Mr and Aos textures? and how they are used in shaders?
    i know how to make a normal map (nm) with gimp filters but how to make a good Aos and Mr or even good Albedo?
    I can find in guides the textures sizes but not how to make them ( specifically with gimp ) ;)

Thanks to explain me a bit more how to make it work ;)

Cheers

6. svictor

svictor Registered

This tool for generate PBR texture: https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/development-tools/maps-converter
    Full PBR guide: https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/general-reference/pbr-a-guide-in-rfactor2

GIMP is indeed unable to open PBR dds (my friends said that PS also have difficulty to open some of them).

However it is possible to open them in paint.net (thanks to Corti who told me).

Texconv.exe that used in Maps Converter also can convert those unreadable DDS to readable PNG or TGA, just need a special command line, such as following:
    texconv -ft png -o output_png\ -f rgba input_dds\*.dds

trollray, philrob and Corti like this.
  7. trollray

trollray Registered

Thanks @svictor .
    Now with the guide and your help seems working now.
    Just a problem now. I have a alba barrier with parts between rails that are transparent (alpha)
    But when using the map converter the nm, aos and mr go to a non alpha map.
    That seems logical but the result is that now between the barriers i ve got a black line instead of the transparencies.
    Thanks