How to use the in-game music player!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sparks, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Sparks

Sparks Registered

I'm new to sim racing, and it took me a while to settle on a game. The demo for rFactor 2 charmed me so much, that I decided to join you guys! I bought the game just a couple days ago, and when I was setting up my custom control scheme, I noticed that I could assign buttons for a music player. I'm a huge music addict, so I immediately searched online to see where I was supposed to put the songs, and couldn't find a clear answer. There's no "music" folder in the rf2 game files. So what do you do?

Did you know steam has a music player? Yeah, neither did I. Well, it turns out that if you map the buttons, you can control the music player while you're driving. I mapped them to my wheel. I listen to Ridge Racer and old Need for Speed songs. I'm in heaven. I clearly bought the right game.

The steam music player is very well documented, so you can easily look up how to use that. It is a little wonky though, so if you encounter any glitches or can't figure out how to do something, just ask me. After that, just map the buttons and you're good to go.

My racing playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDzsIaDZ0DFrePpe-K_FygFaWW788mKNn

TL;DR

Mapping the buttons allows you to control the steam music player without bringing up the overlay. The steam music player is a little awkward and kinda glitchy, so if you need help with it please let me know in the thread.

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

simply use a player you like like spotify and use your multimedia keys on the keyboard to hear whatever music you like ;).

Bidle likes this.
  3. Sparks

Sparks Registered

I didn't think of that lol. But, using the buttons and dials on your steering wheel for it feels super cool

4. TJones

TJones Registered

That's what I usually hear for online races ! :)

Sparks likes this.
  5. lagg

lagg Registered

Sorry for the off topic but i couldn't resist
    @TJones That remind me this one (old days...:rolleyes:)

Sparks, TJones and mesfigas like this.
  6. TJones

TJones Registered

I wasn't really serious about my post above. If I really would hear "Extreme Aggression" while driving, I would hardly survive first lap! :D
    To be honest, I really can't hear anything other than car/engine sounds. I often hear some music while sim or track is loading though.
    I'm impressed by people, like for example Jimmi Broadbent or Nicky Thiim how they're able to talk while driving competitive.
    I had a few issues in the past, where I lost concentration and really forgot, after a long straight for example, where I'm located on the track. No joke!

I think (hope) it's ok for @Sparks to go a bit OT, as his problem seems to be solved.

lagg and Sparks like this.