Import tracks to 3d max

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Normark, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Normark

Normark Registered

Is there a script than can export tracks into max?
    I remember in the "old days" I had an import script, is there an updated script for max 2021?
    I have just installed the new exporter from the RF2 update, an wonder how to import Lockdrummond to investigate the track.
    Thanks in advance for any help

2. redapg

redapg Registered

The only Thing that i know and use, is the rFactor 1 GMT2 Importer Script, where you have to convert the rF2 Meshes into rF1 Format, to be able to import them into 3DSMax.
    But all rF2 Shaders get lost by doing that, of course and have to be set manually after the Import.
    That Script works for 3DSMax 2012 and 2017.
    You would have to test if it works with 2021 too.

3. Normark

Normark Registered

I thougt I was the only person that didn´t have an updated script to import tracks to Max.
    I used to do some basic stuf in Bobs Trackbuilder and then import it with the scrips you mention, and that gave mee som decent materials too ( at that time) Nowadays materials are much more sofisticated, but I thought there was an updated script.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It's by design.... so that you can't ordinarily reverse engineer someone's track without their permission.

5. Normark

Normark Registered

But, Lockdrummond is in the dev/mod folder, how do you take advantage of that if you can´t import the track?

Funny Woodee, wee joined the forum with 1 day interval in 2010 :)

6. TTM

TTM Registered

You can start Viewer and load Loch Drummond track from ModDev/Locations folder and then start material editor via browser and then edit used material, so you can see in real time what happens in Viewer when you change values etc. :)

7. Normark

Normark Registered

Hi TTM
    Im shure there wont be working startlights on many RF1 tracks if you couldn´t import them to your own project.
    Otherwise strange they all look the same :)

TTM likes this.
  8. TTM

TTM Registered

Of course it would be nice to have 3ds max version also, but i don't know if it will never happen. ...but better this way than nothing.

9. Normark

Normark Registered

A very god thing is the amount of documentation, earlyer you had to look at a lot of informations all over the web, and lots of them were outdated.
    Im not doing that much modding at the moment, but very interested in the new possibillities and the new exporter to max 2021 which looks interesting.

10. lagg

lagg Registered

You can import the track to 3DSimED and see the properties of every GMT and material.

11. Normark

Normark Registered

Thanks, I have 3DSimED and i have used it to do conversions of some of my old kart-tracks from rf1 to rf2, very god help.
    There is also material examples in dev-corner on the 397 site that loads into Max 2021, and more dokumentation
    of the online material editor, so think I´m fine :)

12. dazzer

dazzer Registered

eye! if I'm not mistaken 3dsimed does not have the new materials, so the new track that is in moddev will not be seen correctly.

Ideally, enter the game normally (dev mode), and then open the material editor, once inside the editor, observe how each new material works.

13. Normark

Normark Registered

Thanks dazzer, its exciting to start modding again after the updated documentation, updated tools for max 2021 and better insigt in the material editor, many interesting hours in front of mee. :)

Mauro likes this.
  14. TTM

TTM Registered

A latest version of the 3dsimed contains new rF2 shaders, but program not support dx11, so i don’t see much point to use it with rF2.

15. lagg

lagg Registered

Sorry for the off topic.
    Just to clarify, 3DSimED is useful to modify/correct/add things when you don't have the 3DSMax project.
    The program uses DX9 but supports the DX11 shaders used in rF2.

16. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

The only way to import is to use 3dSimEd, export objects as .3ds files, then import into Max.

The downside is that only the T1 textures work, so you need to start the shaders again channel by channel.

17. dazzer

dazzer Registered

Wouldn't it be better to export them as FBX, than a slightly more versatile format in that regard?

18. Normark

Normark Registered

Thanks Mike (and dazzer)
    I hope I dont have to import anything, I was just wondering if there was a possibility to have a quick glance of the new features in Lock Drummond. I´m working on a local kart-track, so everything have to be scratchmade anyhow :)

19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I think they will be providing source files for it so reverse engineering won't be needed?

20. TTM

TTM Registered

In my opinion there is no need for 3ds max version. You need 3ds max only for modelling, uv mapping and adding shaders/.tga textures to objects and then exporting them to .gmt. You can see material settings etc on material editor and documents how to do everything in developers guide.