aja78f7asgf7asg

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by altyaltnds, Sep 11, 2020.

1. altyaltnds

altyaltnds Registered

aa

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It actually doesn't matter. That parameter has no effect unless you're driving a car that produces less torque than that value, so until you have a wheel with around 8Nm it won't do anything.

Actually 12 or 13 would be required, as very few cars have less than 10 or 11 nominal steering column torque.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Clipping out of the game has nothing to do with your wheel strength. What exactly are you measuring and adjusting?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't know how iRacing handles things, but I would suggest it does the same as rF2 - it doesn't output a Nm value, it outputs a % value.

If you tell it you have a weak wheel (like yours, or mine (T500, just over 4Nm)) it will scale the forces produced by the car to 0-100% range it then sends to your wheel. If I'm driving a small tintop car which generally has a max torque of 8Nm, then when the car is currently producing 8Nm it will send 100% to my wheel. If the car is doing 4Nm it will send 50%.

Whether I tell the game my wheel does 1Nm or you tell it your wheel does 6Nm makes absolutely no difference - the game will just scale 0-100% for the 0-8Nm range the virtual car is doing.

A modern winged open wheeler might produce up to 25Nm, and it will do exactly the same thing - output 100% if the car is currently producing 25Nm, output 50% if the car is doing 12.5Nm. What we get at our wheel is full force at 100% and half force at 50%. Whether your wheel does 2.5 or 3.5Nm makes no difference to things and whether the game's output is clipping.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@altyaltnds if your wheel could do 20Nm, and you tell the game that, it will reduce the forces accordingly when you drive a car with, say, 8Nm max. So instead of scaling to your wheel and producing 20Nm when the virtual car is doing 8Nm, it will scale it down so you feel 8Nm when it should be that.

PS please click Reply when replying (or tag me the way I've done for you in this post), or I don't get a notification.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Found a table with figures similar to those I've seen around the place for the other wheels, so it's probably close to correct.

https://simracingsetup.com/product-guides/ultimate-sim-racing-wheel-comparison/

Note that strength can vary a bit, even between 2 identical models (or so I've read), so take all these with a grain of salt or two. But given the wheel's position in the TM range I'd say 2-2.5 would probably be about right, on a par with the Logitech G series but with a perhaps nicer feeling (and sounding) setup internally.

*(I'll add that I've found quite a few comments talking about it having weaker FFB than a T300, which is around 4Nm, so that also fits)

I still don't see what benefit there is knowing the exact figure, but there you go.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  7. doddynco

doddynco Registered

The nominal force figure? Is this expected to be an estimate of the constant or the peak force? I.e should a large mige be set to 15-20nm or 30nm in the controller json? I suppose it depends on what the vehicle creator is referencing in each case.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There aren't specific guidelines for car creators, so I personally aim for a similar result to the stock content. That's basically no clipping on normal forces (peak normal cornering forces, but not crazy kerb strikes or grass) with a Mult of around 0.75.

On 1.0 that gives some clipping during hard cornering which is good for weak consumer wheels.

As a user you should set it to what your wheel can do. The game should then switch to outputting correct Nm when the car indicates it's suitable. (i.e. its nominal max torque isn't greater than your wheel setting)

Of course you can set it to whatever you want for your desired effect. Someone with a 6Nm wheel might decide to tell the game it does 25Nm so they get their full force in the Indycar and weaker forces in the Skippy. Each to their own.

doddynco likes this.
  9. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Thank Lazza. It was a real mind bender getting my head around the nominal force in the HDV but I get it now. It was very confusing as I had a 28nm controller profile and the vehicle I was using had a 'real' steering force hovering around 16nm, and so would not really get close to peaking my wheel driving normally.

I wanted a stronger ffb signal to my wheel from that vehicle but I was reading instructions on the forum saying 'lower the nominal in the HDV to increase the steering force' .. but nothing was happening. Only when I reduced my controller profile to simulate a 6nm wheel base did I understand what was going on (because now the nominal force setting was actually changing the headroom of the ffb signal). So it's the geometry needing to be looked at to increase the real force.