WIP FPS being significally worse in online race vs practice/qualy/warmup

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Joonas Raivio, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Joonas Raivio

Joonas Raivio Registered

Hey, I've had this problem for a while now, happens in both single screen/VR (I don't have triples)

So what usually happens is I'm driving on almost full practice server, let's say VEC with up to 80 ppl on server and I have stable 90 FPS with around 4-8ms of GPU frame time according to FPSVR software, CPU frametime stays at around 7ms.

Then comes race and my fps goes to 30-45 with 15+ms of GPU frametime, CPU frametime stays around 7-10ms. And no, it wasn't just the start of the race where I had that fps, it stayed there for 80% of my VEC stint which was 2hours.

Also the FPS seems to go smaller everytime theres LMHC near me.

I'll update this report with trace+log from FPSVR once I get them, for now I only have the perflog.

AFAIK this happens to most of the people no matter the PC but for clarity there's my system specs: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23628790
    rF2 installed on mx300
    Log: https://www.mediafire.com/file/onzbr6k915tp4p1/Log.zip/file

I don't use these forums alot so the best way to contact me is on discord: Captain Perkele#1271
    Cheers, Joonas

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Remco Majoor and Risto Kappet like this.
  2. benborp

benborp Registered

I reported this problem in March last year:
    It was eventually resolved for me by performing a complete system re-install. Noted that my issue was definitely a CPU frametime limitation.

At the time, in response to other other drivers' queries, I stressed that I didn't see a system re-install as being an appropriate response for all that suffered similar race day problems.

But, for me, after extensive work with hardware, drivers, game settings, installation and options it was the only way to resolve the issue. In the following weeks I would occasionally recreate the problem, even with the clarity of running a bare bones system dedicated solely to rF2 the only way to get back to optimum performance was a complete Windows re-install.

I have been running rF2 for almost a year with steadily improving performance (a processor upgrade has also helped), the last VEC race saw a return of the problem.

I mention this as in my experience the issue did not lie within rF2. rF2 suffered from an inconsistency somewhere in my system environment (I started to resent how little control I had over Steam VR making changes to my system, making it very difficult to make comparisons to a stable baseline).

I hope this helps if this current itteration of the problem, that is affecting far more people, has an indirect cause somewhere in the OS.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

is your power management of the cpu such that it throttles down the cpu when it overheats? Choose Performance setting.

4. Joonas Raivio

Joonas Raivio Registered

No it doesn't throttle: When I'm gaming I'm using high performance mode where cpu's min/max state is 100% and it's not that hot anyway to start throttling.
    Also the FPS drop happens immediately after you change session. Not mid session, which indicates it's not overheating issue. Doesn't also really matter if the closest car is next to you or different side of the track, fps stays weak.

davehenrie likes this.
  5. Lazaros Filippakos

Lazaros Filippakos Registered

I ve got to report that today in the VEC preseason race at Imola that i had a similar issue. Was doing practice with normal 80-100 fps with 50+ cars on track. Even q ran smoothly. But when race session started i had max 30-35 fps with massive stuttering. As i found out i needed to create a performance log as trace and the advanced log is not enough to fix this issue apparently. I know my system is not the greatest but i got it as low as possible and no overheats but the difference is huge.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  6. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

I have been experiencing this issue for quite a while now. It is always the Race session that causes the problem, no matter what League, track, mod etc. I recently upgraded my CPU and GPU and it copes better with the issue, but I am fully aware it is there as I can see it in fpsVR.
    Yesterday I took part in the qualification session at VEC and rF2 ran very smoothly [even with half the grid sat in the pits]. However, in the race, going past the pits caused all sorts of issues for the CPU and GPU, but seemed to clear on the rest of the track. There is something different about the pits in a Race session, compared to any other session.

7. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

This. I have heard a lot of people that had this same issue last race

8. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

upload_2020-9-13_13-47-15.png

1080 lowest settings, 12 visible cars. 58-68 FPS at the start of last race. Same framerate as highest settings. This is on a 1080, so definitely not a bad card, but not the worst either. Full graphics setting is only used for 70%. Why? All CPU limited.

Everything seems to be running on a single core?
    Why is the race so much more heavy (on the CPU apparently) than a practice session?
    Why do more cars hit the CPU more than the GPU?
    Why do some core spike to 100%, but never at the same time?

Just some questions that popped up in my mind by watching this

Jason Whited likes this.
  9. Capeta

Capeta Registered

Was in that race and I also got terrible FPS during the event. Practice earlier online with even more cars were going fine.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  10. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

guess what, got this again last VEC race. To a new extreme though[​IMG]

11. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

I can confirm that in online races performance significantly drops (for some to unplayable numbers). In my case not VR. Often in the warmup or practice session before the race everything is fine despite the same amount of cars on track.

My last example was the P1LMS race at NürburgringGP. Practice with same amount of cars 100+fps, race down to 50fps being the worst near the pits.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  12. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

We're looking into it.

Kevin Karas likes this.
  13. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Let me add to this, that the problem went away when my teammate took over from me and I still was spectating / driving with him

lagg likes this.