Targa Florio WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by 6e66o, Oct 1, 2012.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Road crossfall would be interesting. It would surely make quite a bit of difference per whole track, but I would suppose it would not be needed everywhere. Also it would be interesting to find out if crossfall was common at those roads.

I couldn't tell if road lacks subdivision, haven't noticed any stair effects. I think person or persons who modeled the road undulations for this track had really awesome sense and taste, no way they got all undulations exactly as real life, they must have used some creativity, and it really worked out.

By the way... chicanes at the big straight ? Thats the worst idea in history in every way. The huge straight is such a relief after 40 minutes of chicanes, as whole track is basically chicanes. Also the straight of this length is very unique, and speed is exciting. By the way, must not forget that in Targa Florio they didn't race each other directly, they raced for best time.

Corti and svictor like this.
  2. svictor

svictor Registered

Hello again, original author Sergio Loro has kindly given me permission to share Targa Florio update, thanks so much!

DL link (thanks to Corti): http://www.internationalsimracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=2795
    Mirror link (thanks to maximus1971): http://www.mediafire.com/file/wc62kcnxtde87yv/Targa_Florio_v0.25.rfcmp/file

Changelog:

v0.26 (2020-11-24)
    - Fixed folder/mas structure, default weather is now working.
    - Added new Haze values to GDB file.
    - Road sign & stone are a little heavier now.

v0.25 (2020-09-16)
    - Fixed a floating tree (trees589.gmt).
    - Fixed clipping signs (scilla1,scitopl,scitopr,calta7,calta1,scilla02,scitopl01,scitopr01,rosi). Most of the clipping is caused by incorrect mesh normal (recalculated with 3dsimed or other 3d software for fixing). Commented out duplicated gmt entries in SCN.
    - Erased many duplicated materials (suffix name _MU,_CR).
    - Changed most of "Alpha Blending Transparency" material to "Alpha Chroma".
    - Reverted road grip value back to original.
    - All trackside crowds and vehicles are now visible in all sessions (as also in GPL).
    - Reduced base haze value for cloudy and storm.
    - Fixed pitlane sector timing objects position (Previously was placed outside real pitlane area). Garage area was and still is the only working pitlane area.

v0.24 (2020-09-13)
    - Fixed moveable objects that couldn't receive lights due to incorrect pivot points (thanks to senormen's solution!)
    - Adjusted one of grass diffuse texture (_GRASS_ADD.DDS) for better color/brightness transition.
    - Each MAS file now includes _batching.scn file with correct tag for easy batching process.

v0.23 (2020-09-11)
    - fixed objects that flickering during night.
    - restored and excluded some bump textures from batching progress.

v0.21 (2020-09-11)
    - Updated old GDB entries with new values, new geographical position. Loose objects are lighter (to avoid one KO). Old obsolete values are removed/commented out.
    - Updated TDF, reduced main road grip by 1%, increased grass grip (help cars recovering).
    - Updated all textures, corrected brightness (based on DDS files from v0.1, in order to preserve original rich color), see screenshots.
    - Updated SCN files with new values, including reflectionmapper and IBL probe. Old obsolete values are removed/commented out.
    - Updated all Tree shaders to T1 no shadow, so they don't recieve shadows (to avoid bad looking shadow on X board tree model).
    - Updated new haze value to eliminate white horizon effect, make sure you select default weather, or remove old TARGA_FLORIOs.wet inside "UserData\player\Settings\Targa_Florio" folder.
    - Both GPL & RF2 readme.txt is packaged inside Targa_Florio_Regular_Grid.mas.

---------------------------
    Small note:

To get first lap timing work, it is required to wait until current session timer starts to count down(except race session), this is true for other tracks as well. Then click RACE button to go out of garage. Also when exiting garage, do not steer left for short cut (ex. it is possible to go left, drive wrongway for a few meters, then make a U turn at wall end), because there is no sector timing object there.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I'm bored in this straight line !

It's very subjective and personal in fact.

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

There is one chicane though, right at 67K, I need to drive to check again how much of a chicane it is. Personally my brain is already boiling of pushing the car to the limits for all those 62 kilometers before the straight, and there is finally an opportunity to relax, check gauges and stuff lol.

[​IMG]

GPNeville, DrivingFast and pkelly like this.
  5. svictor

svictor Registered

zxd1997 likes this.
  6. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

Well its amazing this is still being worked on, thanks guys! That being said, does anyone have a different link I could download the new update from?

7. Emery

Emery Registered

47 minutes <cough> in the Cortina. Cortina's front fenders are in bad shape now and I scattered some spectators... God it's been a long time since I tried driving the Targa Florio! Totally forgot how exhausting it is.

Anyway, thank you, @svictor, for the update!

bears, svictor, pkelly and 2 others like this.
  8. senormen

senormen Registered

I fixed the signs not lighting up at night years ago for someone . . . seems it hasnt filtered thru :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    just set local pivot to object . . . its when its set to global pivot they dont light up . . .

softslider, atomed, svictor and 4 others like this.
  9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes, exhausting, but in a good way. Unless you drive with badly broken car for twenty minutes lol I guess 47mins with Cortina is OK, I have checked and found that under 42minutes would be good with 911s.

Pro tip: Set damage very low, and use no or very few AI rivals.

I just drove for about twenty minutes with very badly damaged "not 412P", and finished in 42minutes, real life best laptime in 1967 was achieved with 412P and was 37'09'00. So I am quite a bit off :D Setting goal to learn the track, but I surely won't drive it with damage on again lol

I wonder if it is possible that actual track was faster than mod. A bit early to say. I have rather well calibrated AI, and they seem quite commited in this mod. The best laptime by AI was ~38'30'00, that would also be at least a minute too slow. Looking forward to learn this track a bit better, at least the most dangerous places. It might be hard task.

Oh, and with stiffer and faster car, I definitely felt like track surface is lacking some subdivision here and there, I couldn't feel that with slower and softer car very much.

P.S. Amazing story:

svictor, Emery, pkelly and 1 other person like this.
  10. maximus1971

maximus1971 Registered

Please, can give me the link of the latest version of the Targa? thank ;)

11. Emery

Emery Registered

svictor and maximus1971 like this.
  12. svictor

svictor Registered

Hello, new v0.24 DL link and changelog is updated in post #422, thanks to Senormen and Corti for helping.
    Two new screenshots:
    365960_20200913142523_1.jpg 365960_20200913142945_1.jpg

13. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@svictor

I am very happy that you are working on the florio targa.

With the Nords, it is a must have for offline drivers.

What a challenge !!

atomed, Corti and svictor like this.
  14. maximus1971

maximus1971 Registered

I have the idea of renting a server for an international challenge with a classification by category with the endurance pack 54 and 67 - I did some tests, was very nice with the Porsche 718 (advice: damage 50% - penalties disabled) what do you think? I create a subject?

targa4.PNG

Attached Files:

atomed likes this.
  15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

16. svictor

svictor Registered

New DL link is updated, thanks to Corti for helping.

Corti likes this.
  17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Superb challenge this track is. I am just starting to pick out refferences to avoid crashing at hardest challenging places. As expected within more laps pace grows of course, but the feeling of track also changes to feeling better, better flowing and less long although driving it just few minutes faster than earlier. At first the lap felt like forever, now it starting to feel more normal.

By the way, perhaps I was wrong about rubbering of track. Maybe was correct about it not being true if it would be fully saturated, but being 50-75% saturated would probably right, and then the pace of the track would be probably correct. But I can't imagine real road handling this amount of road. Interestingly graphically car seems to shake at the starts, I guess it is a sign that this magnitude of a map might be pushing rF2 to its limits, what must have been happening with GPL then ? :D

Corti and svictor like this.
  18. svictor

svictor Registered

This shaking is exactly the same in AC as well, it happens to any giant track, and the further the car is away from 0,0,0 coordinates, the higher shaking will be.

However it is interesting that GPL doesn't have this issue, and in some aspect, GPL engine is able to do things that RF2 can't, such as GPL's SRB object(rotating single plane, one side always facing camera, which is similar to RF2's billboard tree) rotates along an angle, which is not possible in RF2(always 90 degree). Or advance Draw Distance(LOD) setting in GPL, which allows to control the LOD that forward, and also the LOD backward. That's why a conversion from GPL to modern sim is very difficult.

Also the actually GPL track mesh surface consists 2 layer, as you can image, is same as AC, one for physics, one for visual. The physics layer requires of using TrkMaker to extract, and have much higher detailed surface mesh. And some of the new or old GPL conversion use only the visual layer (Targa Florio conversion is also based on visual layer), that's why the surface lacks quite a bit variety. To use GPL's true physics surface mesh requires crazy amount work (manually assign every texture and UV map, if you know where they are), and not really practical. But there is a way to generate a GPL visual layer that has the accuracy of physics layer, this will require original author to edit GPL track construction file(GTK) and add additional poly multipliers, which will result an more accurate 3do model, so in the end will have better and smoother feed back. (Thanks to a famous GPL track maker who taught me those)

19. maximus1971

maximus1971 Registered

Corti, Mauro and svictor like this.
  20. Corti

Corti Registered

~IsR~ Historic server with the new version 1967 Endurance open ;)

Mitch9, svictor, pkelly and 2 others like this.