Doubt converting car

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by doberk, Sep 9, 2020.

1. doberk

doberk Registered

Hello, I am working on a car conversion from assetto corsa, but I have a problem I hope you can help me solving.

The car has originally an object that contents both wheel and brakeduct. I had to separate them in order to make only the wheel going around.
    Original object:
    [​IMG]

New objects:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New objects look good in 3DSimEd (front left):
    [​IMG]

My problem appears when editing the gen file. If I put both objects in the LFTIRE instance they look good in game, but obviously I don't want the brakeduct going around with the wheel.
    [​IMG]
    This is the code for this:
    Code:
        Instance=LFTIRE
        {
            Moveable=True
            MeshFile=wheel_lf.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) LODIn=(0) LODOut=(99) Reflect=True
            MeshFile=hub_lf.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) LODIn=(0) LODOut=(99) Reflect=True
        }
    However, if I put the brakeduct in a separate instance it doesn't look the same, and game crashes if you try to load the track.
    [​IMG]
    This is the code for this:
    Code:
        Instance=LFTIRE
        {
            Moveable=True
            MeshFile=wheel_lf.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) LODIn=(0) LODOut=(99) Reflect=True
        }

Instance=LFSpindle
        {
            Moveable=True
            MeshFile=hub_lf.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) LODIn=(0) LODOut=(99) Reflect=True
        }
    I have spend several days trying to find the way to solve it, but I couldn't. I will apreciate any help :)

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You need to make sure everything on each corner of the car has the same pivot point. So tire, rim, hub, etc, need the same. I think your crashing is because the tire and the rim are one object, so split them.

3. doberk

doberk Registered

I don't think so, because the game doesn't crash if I remove the hub from the gen file. It loads ok and is driveable. The tire and rim rotate good. So I think the problem is in the hub.

¿How can I check the pivot point of each part?

Thanks.

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how in 3dsimed. You might need 3ds max or blender.

5. doberk

doberk Registered

I have checked pivot points in 3ds max 2020, and everything is ok. And now the car loads ok in the track, and wheels rotate good. But I still have the problem with the possition of the hubs in the game. They are shown good in both 3DS MAX and 3DSimED, but not in showroom nor in the track. You can see the flaps over the front wheels in this pictures:

3DSimED (ok):
    [​IMG]

3DS MAX 2020 (ok)
    [​IMG]

showroom (too low and moved to outside)
    [​IMG]

track (too high)
    [​IMG]

The very first thing I can't understand is why game shows a piece in different possition in game and showroom if the car_spinner.gen and car.gen have the same code for this part. What am I forgetting?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  6. hstevefrancis

hstevefrancis Registered

as objects edited through 3dsimED, the wheel objects(tire, rim, disk..... ) must click "movable"
    to preserve all the pivot point and object center shown @3dsimED
    if you don't click "moveable" all object will reset center & pivot point to (0,0,0)

the in game tires to chassis position will be different from what you saw at 3d software.(that's normal)
    In 3d software, the position of all objects were asumpt to be under no gravity and no camber nor toe.
    rFactor 2 will pick them up and combine with chassis setup.
    but in game they were at the dynamic position of all the wheel to car body position

one thing to mention, you should post the object relative to (0,0,0) at your 3d software(for we to exame)
    because all the chassis and wheel positions were refer to undertray which is always at (z=0 up-down)
    if your object was not sit at this manner, the result would be hard to manage.

doberk and Bidle like this.