New Icon Creator Tutorial

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by dylbie, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Olivier Mardoc

Olivier Mardoc Registered

@McFlex Hi guy, I'm bad, I can't find the lines to exclude in the WHITESTUDIO_SIDE.SCN file. For more convenience, can you share us your SCN file or even the Showroom rfcmp file?
    Thank you in advance

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  2. DanMicke

DanMicke Registered

all_vehicles.ini.JPG
    As a total newbie to both rFactor 2 and modding a car in this environment (did some personalize own car work in GPL) I've now (after searching on web, YouTube and trial and error) managed to edit (piece of cake as I'm very used to Photoshop) a personal skin reflecting my IRL car Mazda MX5 and got it represented in the SpecMiata Mod. Very happy with that and everything is just fine with the car and how it looks racing in the game. Everything... ...except the small detail of having it represented when selecting the car and the instance 'icon'. That's why this thread was of great interest but I still don't get it to work despite several tries with the PNG-file (the original is fixed and ready to use). As your discussion here not matches my circumstances exactly I had to go on inuition with try and error. Only error so far on that one.

This concerns one car only and to obtain me able to race my car I made it as an alt to a native car in the SpecMiata download. So I've got a folder for the .mas -file with the skin and some material placed in '...\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\SpecMiata\Micke Kallman'. My guess was that my name 'Micke Kallman' represent folder \TEAMS\ above. (If it has any relevance to all a 'paired' folder for the native car I 'altered' with my skin is the only one represented from that car set and it has an alt.dds as well.)

So ...\Micke Kallman\ folder has an alt.dds together with a shortcut to same folder (?) named after the car with my skin called 'DMZ540MX5.alt' . Some software 'magic' as I guess this is something the game do at load. From my point of view I saved my .mas -file to that folder (with all the skin-related .dds files).

Besides this I searched the full game for those 'veh-files' mentioned in the thread on my computer and found an 'all-vehicles.ini' where my car was represented as well. Attach a scrndmp of how that record looks like. My comment is that the 'File="Micke Kallman.veh" don't seems to excist on the computer and that my 'DMZ540MX5.mas' is noted in the folder I saved it to (even if it's not seems to be there when looking in the folder). Just mentioning this if it has any relevance. As the car works in the game I don't bother those confusing records. It is as the game 'wants it' I guess.

So, with all facts above at your service, I now tried to implement the icon-image in all ways I can from the facts I could get from this thread. So far I:
    1. just copied in the raw PNG-file in the ...\Micke Kallman\ folder and tried two names 'alt-icon-512x288.png' as above and 'DMZ540MX5_alt-icon-512x288.png' to check if that was the matter
    2. Then I embedded the raw PNG in the .mas together with the .dds -files, and if I remember I also tried both namings as in 1.
    3. Then I converted the PNG to DDS (hopefully with both names but I might have missed it) and included it in the .mas file.

Anyway, none of those tries worked. Still no icon shows up in the select-a-car-screen in rFactor.

No big deal, as the main purpose was to drive my car in the game and it works, but I'm just a bit anoyed I can't get the icon in place.

Excuse the long posting but as I'm not that used to the files and structures related here I might as well give you all facts I see relevant to my specific situation.

So Car Mod Wiz's, how do I get this right?

PS. Forgot to mention. The pic-square for selection is blank (so not the pic of the native car I altered)

BTW, I don't bother resolutions here. The original pic is 512x512 so I go for 512x288 as my 'guess' ;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  3. redapg

redapg Registered

May i point you to This Thread?
    Try it out please. :)

4. goonzo

goonzo Registered

5. redapg

redapg Registered

It's not broken, it's under Reconstruction. ;)
    Due to some Changes from the Host bplaced, the Tool didn't work properly anymore and i started to fix it.
    But then i have seen, that it is better to completely rewrite it, which will last some Days.
    I'll try to get it back online as quick as possible.

ruizs, Emery, lagg and 2 others like this.
  6. ruizs

ruizs Registered

Hello...it seems that the page is down again, isn't it? Is there any other similar tool?

Thanks in advance

7. redapg

redapg Registered

I tried it and it's online.
    Which kind of Message did you get?

8. ruizs

ruizs Registered

9. redapg

redapg Registered

@ruizs Use your Link, but with http and not https at the Beginning.

Because it's a free Website, it has no https Certificate and so it "can't be found".

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  10. ruizs

ruizs Registered

Oh yeah! Now it works! Thank you so much :)

redapg likes this.