Disappointing return after a year long pause [VR]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrindil, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I asked about the roadmap because your mention of "upcoming release" was the first in this thread - but I can see it mentioned several times in the roadmap. So I was confirming you were referring to the roadmap.

Content has been released separately for a long time now, usually it's only linked to build updates when a new build is needed to support features of that content (physics or graphics).

The roadmap mentions several areas that have seen development, I think we'll get a build 1121 (or 112x, doesn't really matter exactly) this month as some of those relate to online code so the update will probably break compatibility and warrant a build number change. I suspect the new UI becoming default will take a little longer but you never know.

I don't think anything has really changed in this regard.

Binny likes this.
  2. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

"Minimum specs" is set to know what the lowest possible requirement is to just be able to start the software/hardware. Thats it.

Emery likes this.
  3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

FWIW at one point I was upgrading my video card, and used AMD RX580 as a backup. Surprisingly to me, I was able to run rF2 in VR, but of course, no AA, reduced SS etc.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

As others have said, if you think the minimum is going to be acceptable, you are wrong. Most likely that chart was produced a couple of years ago and referenced video gaming in general. Sim racing is like racing in general, You don't go to an F1 race with a Ferrari engine, you don't circle Daytona with street tires. Sure they work, but c'mon man. When a company like Occulus produces minimum specs, they are trying to capture as wide a net of users as possible. (just look at the EXTREMELY out of date rF2 minimums) Companies hope to grab low end users and then expect them to realize an upgrade is necessary. They just don't want to be the ones saying it. I have the RX480x8. It would be the first piece I would replace, followed by the cpu. The 480 will run rf2, but compared to newer cards, it will not run rf2 more than adequate at best.
    When someone from here, users all, with years of experience, tells you something is inadequate.....believe them.

5. enduser

enduser Registered

Too late for that.

6. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Those minimum specs are for single screen users anyway and probably for low resolution (and yes, outdated). They have nothing to do using rF2 in VR.
    After updated rain release (2 years ago) there was a post by S397 with recommended settings for low, mid and high end computers. Unfortunately I can't find it, maybe someone else. I think that could be helpful, starting from low setting ... if FPS is OK try mid setting ...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  7. Goanna

Goanna Registered

8. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

Your point is invalid, as the RX480 is listed under the recommended specs column.

9. amishracing

amishracing Registered

The inconsistent content quality is definitely a valid critique, the graphics issues however are on your end.