CustomPluginVariables.JSON does not exist

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by rustymoto, Sep 5, 2020.

1. rustymoto

rustymoto Registered

Hi,

My installation of rf2 (done through Steam) does not seem to have the 'CustomPluginVariables.JSON' file. It does not exist. I believe this is inhibiting my ability to turn plugins on & off.

I have uninstalled & reinstalled rf2, but still the file is missing from the folder "...Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\"

From what I have read, if these "...\userdata\player" files are deleted or removed from the folder, rf2 will recreate them automatically on the next start-up....yet on my PC it never seems to create the 'CustomPluginVariables.JSON' file...how can I resolve this?

2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

3. rustymoto

rustymoto Registered

Just tried it, verified successfully, but no change....still no 'CustomPluginVariables.JSON' file

I also just tried to "force 32-bit at launch", but no change.

Is it necessary for the game to generate this file on its own? Since it seems it's only purpose is to enable/disable optional plugins, could someone attach a 'clean' version of the file to this thread (I'm presuming it has 3 entries for the 'standard' .dlls that accompany a fresh install), so that I can copy it into the folder and see if it does what it needs to? I am attempting to get Crew Chief to work, so I could add-in the entries for the SharedMemoryMap plugin manually... not particularly clean, but since it's not self-generating I am not sure what else to do here.

4. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

5. rustymoto

rustymoto Registered

Thank you! This worked! I trimmed it down to the plugins that I have, and am now able to control their on/off toggle, albeit by editing the .JSON directly. Flipping the on/off toggles in the in-game UI still do not have any lasting effect.

CrewChief did update itself today and I noticed in the notes that there was a new 'rFactor2SharedMemoryMapPlugin64.dll' as part of the update, but I believe that the missing \userdata\players\xxxx.JSON was the root of my issues all along.

nonamenow likes this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@rustymoto check that your various folders (Userdata and those beneath) aren't set to read-only. Seems to be some indication of that happening at times for no good reason.