Latest Roadmap Update - August 2020

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Sep 1, 2020.

1. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I just hope that S397 find a way to add some 90s DTM cars, DRM cars, Group C or 70s GT to get some sideways action going and a proper reason to finaly implement a proper transmission and drive train model. I mean, I am happy for the people who enjoy FE as they get lot's of goodies in this sim and very focused content and maybe this helps to finance other lisences, but generaly speaking the trend of concentrating just on modern racing these days is a bit boring as modern racetracks and cars feel too sterile for me.

I had the luck to visit the DTM meeting at Lausitzring few weeks ago and it was ashaming how the old DTM, STW and DRM cars were more numerous, much better sounding and looking with a nice paddock, while the pros sat back in their motorhomes just to have a 18 car snoozefest.

dylbie likes this.
  2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

aye, see that I'm talking about xD https://twitter.com/rccoworldex/status/1301397625577537536
    when you think e"sports" couldn't get any more stupid.... lol

3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

This right here is the reason, why the sim racing community has one of the most elitist reputations in gaming. (Yes it's gaming, deal with it!)
    No offense, but this sometimes leaves me scratching my head.

Seeing a time attack mode with ghost as arcade, but people used to praise GTR2 and even its driving school was featuring ghost cars...
    And we all know, GTR2 was full arcade..........

Do you know, how much more approachable for the so beloved competition stuff the rF2 environment would/could be, with such a mode?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  4. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

sorry no idea

5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Gigantic. :D

The new UI has a news section. This combined with "just click on time attack, choose the combination and start" and ready to hop in. This may eliminate some barriers. I also think, rF2 is capable of such a mode, if time attack did not got wiped with the engines updating...

The user has problems to improve? Watch the avaiable ghost opponent, learn the lines and switch it off, when it comes too annoyingly close and distracting.

strannikxxxxx and pkelly like this.
  6. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

I love the direction rF2 has taken, S397 has done an incredible job further developing the de-facto best simulator.

I would like to see S397 open rF2 to more community based changes to the official content. It would be great to allow modders to offer alternative sounds to the official cars, we have all seen (heard) what the community has achieved on Assetto Corsa. what I originally considered a mediocre sounding sim. Similarly having re-skins of the tracks to reflect seasons or other conditions would be great.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think this is currently possible. I'm not saying what S397 has done is mediocre, not for a second, I am saying it would bring more variety and interest to rF2 from the modding (creative) community.

7. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

S397 needs to look out for other sims more and more though. Although they still have the name for most realistic sim, others are catching up, and they need to improve on it. I think modders have always been a great source for getting good official content too. If they do it better, why not use them

8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

No need to get that personally on official rF2 forum.

9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

He said "also". Dont think he mistook Attack Mode for Time Attack. He said he would like Time Attack with ghost car.

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I think there is confusion between "attack mode" (only used in real Formula E races. you have to drive on an attack mode space on FE track and get something like a power up when activated, same as in the space racing game called "WipEout" for Playstation plattform) and "time attack" (to improve your driving getting something like a ghost car for practice. telling on what sections you lose or improve time. But we already have a ghost car in rF2 for a long time).

For me "time attack" (like a ghost car) is ok and much appreciated, to improve your racing. Not saying much about Formula E "attack mode" anymore. Well, only one thing: that belongs to Formula E real races and Formula E simulations (like rF2) and space racing games like "WipEout".

11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

time attack is like hot lapping for better lap time
    iracing has this for hot laping competition

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Time attack.... like a practice session where you are alone and keep setting laptimes? Like you can already do in rF2?

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I like time attack that has always been in AC. You have to start driving very slowly, and keep increasing pace, and after a while you need to do your best to keep going. "Surprisingly" it is very immersive to drive slowly on purpose and keep increasing pace constantly :D

14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

So what you do think S397 ment by "attack mode" in the latest roadmap.

From latest roadmap August 2020: "We’re also excited to bring more updates for our Formula E content, after the successful ‘Race At Home’ series by Formula E, we are working on a number of improvements to make the racing more realistic, including physics updates, and for online activity the “attack mode”. Although “attack mode” is quite specific for Formula E, in theory you could use the same feature for other cars as well. Triggered by you driving over a certain section of the track, attack mode gives you slightly more power for a limited amount of time. This promotes more exciting races as well as an extra tactical element and we applaud Formula E for pioneering such features in their series! Not just that, look out for another stunning Formula E laser scanned circuit soon."

Cause of latest roadmap we are discussing about "attack mode". Not only for Formula E but also for other tracks, cars and races (which i don't like). I think people just get confused about "attack mode" and "time attack"

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The trouble with the ghost car, it's MY ghost I'm racing against. Can't learn when the teacher is a dufus.

McKiernan and FORMULAEFAN71 like this.
  16. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Fixed it for you.

17. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

If you don’t like it u don’t have to use it. They said “in theory” so it’s not like you have to do it in every other racing series by force like we don’t even know how that’ll work

18. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

in a more organised way like the game keeps recording people with best lap times and rank them by their performance
    so the hot laping competition has a more official prestige
    sorry for my english

19. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Not so interesting in this months roadmap, but looking forward to the next release. The base 'new UI' has to get finished and working without many glitches. I'm sure I'm not the only one who won't run the beta UI; its the plague of modern development that companies have created this 'endless beta' environment, where its considered OK to just leave things in a semi-finished or broken state. I'm an IT Professional and ex-mechanical engineer, and that approach is just wrong to me; imagine a car where they just can't be bothered to complete making the braking system. I also hope there's a good explanation of the changes and fixes to the multiplayer, and also, that there is a robust mechanism put in place for creating servers/rules for the stock cars that can also be applied to other genres i.e. templates or something that can be quickly applied, rather than just a wall of text in a support document that most will never read.

As regards content and to cover some of the discussion in this thread, I'll be happy to see the new GT3 cars and BOP/reworked physics to the GTE standard of the existing ones. I'm not terribly surprised no progress has been made on GT4 and TCR. TCR in particular since it is all front wheel drive, will require re-looking at all the physics and tires for that, so a decent size project. Maybe the answer for that is to go eTCR? That's an interesting tie-in to Formula E as well. In my opinion S397 have now a decent relationship with ACO/WEC and FE that they need to leverage as far as possible; so I have no problems with car developments for Gen2 FE and also for them to spend a lot of time on the next gen cars also, plus get more of the tracks completed for that series, even though they are of little use to any other series/car types. I'd like to see another LMP2 as well before next years Le Mans, and a similar effort on the virtual event. The bigger question is, what to do for other content like the historical F1 cars/sportscars. I think there is a market for these, but they'll have to rely on mod tracks which is really a problem; its possible Reiza may mop up this fanbase before S397 get a chance to really get to grips with it. Still need major road tracks; still no announcements. This'll be what kills any momentum, fellas; you can't simply rework Nordschleife for the rest of your days.

Finally, best of luck to Paul Jeffrey. Got a bit of a feel to Tim with this appointment. Fan engagement is something S397 haven't got right yet. Paul should be enough of an 'end user' to relate to what we are looking for and what will get us excited; and hopefully this is way beyond the current competition arrangements, which I'll bet 99% of users could be any more disinterested in. Note to you Paul: those two GT series drive ZERO user/buyer engagement. NONE. ZILCH. NADA.

20. AMillward

AMillward Registered

It’s a joke, calm down XD

vittorio likes this.