Car Too Glossy

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Alastar, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Alastar

Alastar Registered

I've been doing some work on a car's mesh and maps and now the car's paint is a lot glossier in the showroom and on the track. That is it's a bit too glossy now and it also makes the other cars in the pack look dull. However, I haven't changed the shaders, shader settings, cube map, or body specular map for this car and I haven't done any work on the front bumper, body, and boot lid but these parts are also glossier. Changing the Cube Map Fresnel Reflection Min, Max, and Exp settings from 0.2 to 0.04, 1.4 to 0.8, and 4 to 10, respectively fixes it. But doesn't make sense because the other cars in the pack settings are 0.2, 1.4, and 4. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  2. Intellego

Intellego Registered

use dev mode to test that stuff. follow this tutorial its really helpful

3. Alastar

Alastar Registered

Thanks for trying to help, but I do use Dev Mode and I've watched this video.

4. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

You also have to account for the alpha channel of the DDS-textures you use.
    Open the texture in photoshop for instance and you'll see the channels - there should also be an alpha channel - it works like this: Black alpha = matte finish, white alpha most glossy finish - shade of grey, somewhere in between.
    If there is no alpha channel created, it'll act like an all-white alpha = most gloss.

5. Intellego

Intellego Registered

Can I use alphas for the specular t1 shader? I tried the car paint one but I am not satisfied with the result. the matte finish is never matte, cause its either plain and dull or just too shiny

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

7. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

That video still works for moddev. It's about using the right shader. For cars, it needs to be "car body paint + damage + rain". No rF2 car uses anything outside of this for car skins, or it is the IBL shader which will probably confuse you even more

8. Intellego

Intellego Registered

9. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

You don't apply the region in 3dsimed. You do it in the moddev. That document explains the steps needed. Your car body needs to be a T1 shader

10. Alastar

Alastar Registered

Thanks, that's the problem. I remember now, I made a change to the body maps and selected None for the Alpha Channel when I saved it.