Goodwood Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by mantasisg, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Mauro

Mauro Registered

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thank you for screenshots, enjoying them a lot, I also learn some things about potential improvements by looking at screenshots, it is very useful. It seems you inspired me to do few screenshots too. I already wish I had made two or three well adjusted camera sets more, because it is best to use rF2 replays for making screenshots.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

this looks great!

4. jimagn

jimagn Registered

That Jag prototype looks pretty cool, too. ;)

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Few more :D Happened to do few too many yesterday.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Inspired by this weekends Goodwood Revival I’ve hunted down this track to run some races but I’m finding the fences around the circuit are flashing white and grey. Is this a known problem or could it be an issue with my download?

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes it is known. I actually found it out myself before other people began reporting it, I had adjusted stuff rather well, but after deleting cbash and shader old files (because PBR tracks didn't look as good as they should) broke looks of this track as it is now.

There are many other problems that if solved would make this mod many times better.

One day, if I'd be as smart, committed and talented as Svictor, who also uses Blender. Then I'd definitely make Goodwood properly in the first place. To be honest, I have been secretly waiting for easy to use and fully functioning way to use Blender for rF2 modding, but it seems it will never happen. So just waiting for a time I'd be able to motivate myself trying to go through the hard way.

I have been spoiled after easy way it was to mod for Assetto Corsa, just preparing fbx source model for special editor program, and then next thing you know you have a track in game. rF2 apparently had same thing on a way, which was called gJed, but it was scraped, probably because it would make rF2 to have too good modding lol

P.S. Goodwood weekend was really great. It would be awesome to have properly made Goodwood with many 50s and 60s race cars in it in rF2...

ling, PatientRF2fan, svictor and 4 others like this.
  8. Simonk

Simonk Registered

That's a shame as it looks like a lot of work has gone into the track. I loved watching the Revival over the weekend. I wish S397 would get on board with some more historic GT cars. They were then best in RF1!

9. svictor

svictor Registered

Just want to say that your Goodwood is really one of the best made track, especially your assetto corsa version that I had driven first time years ago. Graphics & physics feedback all have impressive amount details, I can only imagine it would take tremendous amount time to achieve.

New PBR stuff is indeed a huge road block for modders relay on free software. I'm currently still busy working on a track for a few months now, and have been learning and adding PBR using free software such as blender and gimp. Once it is done, I hope to share more about things I learned.

Modding is hard work. Thank you for making and sharing all the great mods!

ling, Bostrom, philrob and 14 others like this.
  10. Bernat

Bernat Registered

This is a great mod. I wish I could help you, I think that free tools like Blender should be better supported. It would be in the benefit of all the modding community.

Thanks for your work, and I hope someone else can lend you a hand or improve the tools to make it easier to work with.

11. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Is there any intention of adding this to steam workshop?

Mauro and pascom like this.
  12. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Legend, Mauro, makan and 2 others like this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I guess it is better this way, I had big ambitions, but failed till I couldn't afford time. Big updates I wanted to make for 1954 and 1967 cars also got stuck in my lacking capability and lacking luck hands. IIRIC even Miata got its steering broken, and I can't do anything about it.

Anyway...Is it good ? :D I don't have neither time, neither computer at this time to test it.

svictor, Chris Lesperance and philrob like this.
  14. Mark Lloyd

Mark Lloyd Registered

I loved your original work. Had a lovely atmosphere. Did about 500 laps there before this update. This version is a definite improvement graphically, which can only deepen the level of immersion.

Mauro and mantasisg like this.
  15. Radkappe

Radkappe Registered

Unfortunately the AI is not very good. Otherwise it's a really great track. Very good work.:)

mantasisg likes this.
  16. vava74

vava74 Registered

@Manfredk2 @atomed
    Calling AIW-Gurus... Calling AIW-Gurus... Calling AIW-Gurus...

Emery and mantasisg like this.
  17. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Hey guys . Im SSS Garage and responsible for the upgrades to @mantasisg excellent version of Goodwood. As can be seen from my comments above from a couple years ago, I was keen for a more complete version of this track in RF2. With no Idea how to mod a track, I decided to have a go at fixing the flickering textures in the fences and next thing you know I was adding crowds and other objects and learning about IBL shaders. 100s of hours later and I was happy with how it had come up. It seemed a shame not to share it with everyone so I got in contact with mantasisg and let him know what I was doing and here we are with a new version on Steam. The feedback and comments on Steam have been very positive so I’m glad people are enjoying the track.

The AIW has been problematic. It worked well in v1132 with any mod but the latest AI update caused the AI to go off track at Fordwater and St Mary’s. I’ve been able to fix this by shifting the fastest line closer to the apex and adjusting the speed at the approaching waypoints. I also narrowed the corridors which were overlapping the grass in some spots. One problem I haven’t been able to fix yet is the right hander before St Mary’s, the AI brake a touch too early. I worked on this and it’s better than what it was but still not perfect. I found if I up the speed any more at the approaching waypoints, the AI go too wide on the exit and end up in the grass. The only other issue is the final chicane. The new AI aggression means they ignore the corridors through there and won’t go single file if they’re side by side approaching it. I’ve only seen it being a problem on the opening lap and I’m not sure what else I can do other than maybe narrow the corridors more on the approach.

If there is anything specific about the AI behaviour, please let me know and I’ll see if I can do something about it but please try a number of mods first as your issue may be car related also.

Legend, ling, svictor and 15 others like this.
  18. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

very well done, Sir. The tracks looks now great and with the 90´s BTCC cars it is simracing joy par excellence

Simonk, pkelly, Corti and 2 others like this.
  19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I finally solved soem of my problems I had with PC and drove quite a lot of time in this Goodwood release already. After many months of not playing anything at all, it was weird driving desk and chair again, but I got heavily immersed quite rapidly, now feeling like I never was away. rF2 is amazing at feeling brand new every time you come back to it after a break, and it must be indeed better than before. Especially with updated Goodwood Circuit.

There are couple of things I think should be improved, and could be improved without suicidally long hours spent on it. I'll have to collect more notes and compose a private message to @Simonk . However, in general I think it is fantastic, and I have a lot of pleasure driving around it with various cars, and in various settings. The AI is indeed a bit more problematic than before, but it also feels more competitive and at times murderous, I know there was AI update for rF2, so that must be it. Guys, you must try Formula 1 EVE in there, start with some drizzle in practice or qualifying...

philrob, Bjørn, doddynco and 5 others like this.
  20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

We had an online race full of rain and overcast in this updated track and the look of it was very non-satisfying.

Perhaps anyone could contact @Simonk and help to get shaders sorted out to look up to specifications of other PBR tracks ? Also adjusting some textures if needed ? And that baloon plane to get sorted out. Perhaps do few other modifications. And then just simply give me to look at results before releasing update to workshop ? I would be very grateful if such operation would be possible, thank you all.

ling, Radkappe and Bjørn like this.