Project Cars 3 - an arcade game, best played with a gamepad

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by muz_j, Aug 24, 2020.

1. muz_j

muz_j Registered

This video really does sum up in about 12 mins exactly what a lot of people knew about the racing game Project Cars 3 - it's an arcade game, orientated towards game-pad use.

It might be worth a quick game or two if you're half drunk and can't be bothered moving from the couch to your gaming PC and just feel like having a hoon with a game-pad.

2. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

I am an equal oppertunity player, and take enjoyment from all my games, Already bought this one, just not had time to play it properly yet, but my initial thoughts are it will be seeing a bit of my playtime for sure, its "sim" enough to not be quite playable on a wheel, and has a lot of fun elements that will bring more players into the sim thing eventually, they will taste this and want more, like crack addicts.. My first game was PC2.. now my steam library is a mess of sim games, and racing hardware fills my house now ;)

muz_j likes this.
  3. muz_j

muz_j Registered

All good. I'm not a hater, but I think the whole development process has been a bit intentionally deceptive, but I'm not going to bore people with the details (unless i'm asked).
    Someone summed it up well on reddit, with a comment about the main issue being the name.
    If it wasn't presented as being a direct sequel to the earlier games, no one would care and it would stand on its own. But actively telling potential customers it's one thing, when it's not, is disingenuous.
    The main reason I posted that video link here is just in case anyone thought it was going to be an actual sequel to the previous games, with the same sort of features.
    Now that it's been released, people can check independent reviewers and decide for themselves, based on actual game-play, rather than trailers and advertising information (and paid reviewers writing about it using early access products - which happens to a lot of games from what I've seen.)
    But if you want something more casual and game-pad orientated, then it's probably a half decent game.
    Honesty goes a long way in most aspects of life and I for one will not trust anything SMS say in future.
    Although in saying that, I have linked to an old forum post (in another thread) around a year old from Ian Bell who literally said it would be a spiritual successor to NFS Shift - so I really don't understand why he tried to then sell it as racing sim more recently. Some people just can't be trusted and it's the classic salesman strategy of trying to tell people what they want to hear (in my opinion).

CeeBee likes this.
  4. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

If you want a simcade game DON'T BUY this game, PCARS2 is still an excellent choise.
    If you want a good arcade buy the new GRID.

PCARS3 is a big fail.

muz_j likes this.
  5. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

Absolutely pure arcade game.
    10-12 year old kids get along well with this.
    The driving physics don't necessarily bother me the most, but SMS has the cheek to deliver a graphic that is under all cannon.
    The cars seem to be reasonably good, only the blurring actions in this game are just stupid.
    No comparison to PC2 or PC1 these games were visually much better!
    With this game we were ripped off loyal fans.
    Had the pre order ... would never do it again.
    Arcade ok
    Optics-absolutely no go
    It's not worth the money!
    I am very disappointed with SMS.
    Mr. Bell hide yourself in a cave!
    Announce with, we are the best ... was probably nothing.

6. Ariff

Ariff Registered

lol

7. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

After 1 & 2, three was never going to get my money.:D

8. Siri

Siri Registered

Unpopular opinion incoming :)

I quite like it. Not sure I get much from the wheel but through my d-box system I get the impression there’s a lot going on with the suspension and chassis, more than Project Cars 2 in my view.

The AI and array of bugs let it down a bit but let’s be honest, it’s not the only title with questionable AI... As for the ‘game’ elements, it’s not for everybody but you can pretty much turn all that off, although the custom race option is a bit limited and they bypassed some simulation elements altogether. So I completely get why it’s so off-putting coming from more serious sims but I see merit in the handling and I’m enjoying some quick pickup racing.