Portland, pattern to be followed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Delzimar, Jul 27, 2020.

1. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi,
    since the last update i still learn about pbr/ibl thing. I didn't knew anything about it before.
    I was a bit frustrated to be honest about some old content not udated and looking very bad due to these changes but, when i was able to understand the move from studio 397, i really appreciate their work.
    Your example of portland is indeed a good one. ;)

I'm using different simracing sims but from rfactor1, i always get back to it ;) (Now rf2 of course)
    But the main obstacle was always the graphics.
    The different unreal4 engines (ACC, AMS 2) seems to push to a new standard level and it's a part of the immersion too.

I've done recently a 12 hours esport race at spa with ACC.
    The immersion was fantastic but of course, it's a software dedicated to one type of race and that make a difference in developement process too.
    The Lemans 24h, has made i hope a big step forward for rf2 and helped studio 397.

In any ways, pandemic have helped epsorts developement,
    Esports help software developpent and industry.
    Developement help us, final users, to play with good content. ;)

So, i would like to support again by this message how respect i have for all the developpers and specially studio 397, because they do a great job with passion.
    I wish them the best for the future. Keep the faith ! ;)

Now for anyone that use or know more about this PBR/IBL technology, what do you think about it?
    (modders, graphists, pro/am, users...?)

Cheers

ps: Good suggestion about the clouds too, that helped alot for me in ACC to watch different clouds and predict the weather for our team strategy. So not only a graphical need ;)

2. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

It is what we want for our RF2, I am also adept at the SIMs you mentioned, but particularly my favorite remains RF2. We will continue to hope that more quality content will appear and improve services for creating online rooms.

3. enduser

enduser Registered

Portland is nice but the older mods are broken now after patch 1117, including some of the best looking tracks (popular ones included) like road atlanta & tor poznan.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I don't have Poznan, but I just tried Road Atlanta 2017, aside from no decernable skyline beyond the trees, I didn't see anything that would make it unplayable. Just like with the change-over to dx11, this new track graphic will require some work by track modders. Some tracks will probably never see an update due to the original modder not being interested. We should probably begin making a list of tracks that need fixing.

5. enduser

enduser Registered

EDIT
    Poznan was one of the best looking mods out there, road atlanta too, these have their color palette ruined and like in many tracks the horizon is a mess in road atlanta there's a distracting purple pixels in the background as you go for the start line, that used to be the skybox, it is mentioned in patch notes that it will need fixing...
    about "playable" that doesn't mean anything, they were playable before (and more than that). :)

On the good side most tracks are ok , just the first mods that i tried look bad and i thought it would be the norm for most older tracks, main thing is that there's no distance fog visible now and the scene looks unreal dx9 like. Some tracks have a skybox problem and a couple others have a green tint, it may be from IBL sampling too much grass/trees.

Older cars also need rework, this game always being a construction site for so long , isn't that a bit annoying or you guys just quick race with the latest mod released and nothing else, i don't know...

Although the changes look very good in general, some tracks i 've worked with (conversions / non dx11) have turned to crap so lots of work gone to waste, (in general modding is extremely time consuming, even though i don't begin from scratch) which contributed in my initial frustration!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020