Problems with Tires position and crashes

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Intellego, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Intellego

Intellego Registered

Hi guys! I am kinda new to modding in rF2. I was trying a conversion of an F1 car from rf1 to rf2. So far I have been able to get the chassis work in the spinner.
    Unfortunately, while loading in the track, the game crashes with no message and goes back to the launcher, at about 80% loading completion.

I also can't understand why the tires are not positioned correctly. If, as I read in other articles, the problem is the pivot, can I keep the pivot at 0,0,0 but change some other setting to move the tire without messing anything else from hdv or tbc or chassis.ini?
    Also the spindler and most parts are placed oddly and the car is not at the correct height either.

If the problem was releted to suspensions files this would explain the crashes, but to me it seems everything is fine. I can share the files at any moment if that is needed. Have a nice day everyone and thanks for reading and hopefully replying.

[​IMG]
    https://ibb.co/4WDHgsy

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

The pivot for the tires needs to be the centre of the tires, and every other object that is in the same instance as the tires needs to have that same pivot, so the tires, rims, hubs, brake calipers, brake covers, etc, need to have the same pivot.
    So if you're using 3ds max, just centre the pivot on the tires, then align the pivot of the other objects to there respective tire.

3. Intellego

Intellego Registered

Thanks for the reply!
    I didnt use 3ds max for the export, I just took an rf1 model which had already everything working and I exported it to rf2 format via 3Dsimed3.

Also I would like to explore the possible reasons why the loading stops and I cant try the vehicle in a race. I think there could be an issue with the .hdv file, but to me it looks fine.

Attached Files:

4. Bernd

Bernd Registered

To have the hdv file is almost useless to identify a possible reason for a devmode crash.
    Go to the folder
    ..\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\ModDev\UserData\Log
    and check the last generated trace file for errors.
    You can also upload it here, that we can check it too, if you don't find something.

5. Intellego

Intellego Registered

Do I need to install the package in the moddev version?

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

How is that meant?
    If you mean that the rfactor 1 mod is packed as an installer (exe), install it into a temporary folder and then move the folders to the right folders, from the "gamedata" folder into the devmode folder structure.
    Do the same if it's a zip file.
    The devmode structure has no "gamedata" main folder, so if you install it directly into the devmode, you get it wrong.

7. Intellego

Intellego Registered

Thanks for replying but I think I caused some misunderstanding. So I'll try to be more clear.
    I am making a conversion from rFactor 1 tor rFactor 2. I tried following this tutorial

So far the car is selectable in rf2, visible in the tuning spinner mode but I have two major problems:
    1) The tires are in the origin of the scene,.but whereas this worked in rfactor 1 it doesnt in rfactor 2. The pivot is 0 and the position of the tire is the origin of the scene so xyz 0,0,0. If I change the pivot with the MR function in 3Dsimed3 the position changes in the editor but not in game. I don't need to use 3dsmax, since models are already compatible with rf2 since I converted them exactly the way the tutorial suggested me.

2) In the devmod I can select the car, but I have the classic yellow box car thing and I don't know how to solve it since I checked the directories and paths and all and they seem to be fine. I checked the log in devmod to look at troubles at the hdv tgm and tbc side of things but I found nothing of interest, apart a tbc mispelling in the upgrades.ini that when fixed didnt change much at all.

3) in the normal game car is selectable, visible in the spinner but as I said it crashes in the loading screen at about 80% of the loading bar. Previous crashes I dealt with originated from maps/graphics/gen problems. These were fixed with relative ease. But now that the car simply crashes the map with no indication of error I am basically short on ideas of where the troubles may lie. I searched almost all the 69 pages in the modding section which gave me good insight on what to do with mods in general, but so far no solution on my specific issue. I double checked the files from veh to all the files linked to it (hdv, gen, etc.) checked config files in hdv, so gears.ini, engine.ini and .tbc; I checked tbc to see if it linked correctly to tgm and yep it does. Basically all the files are linked up correctly from a superficial level, so I am afraid there is some mispelling going on somewhere that without a decent log indication would be a nightmare to find.

My first assumption was that the tires being disconnected was an issue with the hdv files or the chassis files, but then I realised that no matter the model, in spinner at least, when the height of the vehicle is set to 0,0,0 the model will basically stand on the origin point of the tires. I discovered this while testing translating tires.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

9. SharD

SharD Registered

I got the same issue. The rims and the tyres are not where they should be and I have no idea how to get them at the right position. The tyres are underneath the car (the one in the air is one I tried to fix with 3DSimED) and the rims are slightly misaligned too;

GRAB_048.JPG GRAB_047.JPG

10. SharD

SharD Registered

OP, is that the RSS 2020 mod? The mod I am trying to convert is the RSS Hybrid X mod, by the same makers. I notice we both have a "body updates" upgrade. I think we may have the exact same issue...

11. Intellego

Intellego Registered

No it was an rf1 conversion but anyway I fixed it. What you need to make sure is that when you export the rims you dont change their pivot, so export them as models in 3dsimed3 not as objects. Another issue might be the gen file: for example you may have not linked rims and tires properly. for the sake of simplicity follow what i did here:

Instance=LFTIRE
    {
    Moveable=True
    //------------------------------------MAX SETTINGS---------------------------------------------
    MeshFile=rss_f1_2020_tyre_lf.GMT CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0) LODOut=(200) ShadowReceiver=True Shadowcaster=(True, Solid, 64, 64)
    // MeshFile=SOFT_TYRE_LF.GMT CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0) LODOut=(200) ShadowReceiver=True Shadowcaster=(True, Solid, 64, 64)
    // MeshFile=MEDIUM_TYRE_LF.GMT CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0) LODOut=(200) ShadowReceiver=True Shadowcaster=(True, Solid, 64, 64)
    // MeshFile=HARD_TYRE_LF.GMT CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0) LODOut=(200) ShadowReceiver=True Shadowcaster=(True, Solid, 64, 64)
    // MeshFile=INT_TYRE_LF.GMT CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0) LODOut=(200) ShadowReceiver=True Shadowcaster=(True, Solid, 64, 64)
    // MeshFile=WET_TYRE_LF.GMT CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0) LODOut=(200) ShadowReceiver=True Shadowcaster=(True, Solid, 64, 64)
    //------------------------------------DISCGLOW---------------------------------------------
    MeshFile=fe_DISCGLOW_LF.GMT CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0) LODOut=(200)

MeshFile=fe_RIM_LF.GMT CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0) LODOut=(200) ShadowReceiver=True
    }

Instance=LFSpindle
    {
    Moveable=True
    MeshFile=fe_BRAKE_LF.GMT CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0) LODOut=(450) ShadowReceiver=True
    }

P.S the tires are from the already converted rf2 version.

SharD likes this.
  12. SharD

SharD Registered

The mod on my screenshot is a rF1 mod too. It is a based on the RSS Hybrid X mod.

How is this done? Thanks in advance.

13. SharD

SharD Registered

The car looks the same in 3DsimEd;

3dSIm.jpg

14. Intellego

Intellego Registered

its fine that it looks like that but make sure that the rims have pivots and the same goes for tires. always export parts that rotate as models instead of objects, cause that resets the pivots. to check the pivots go to edit and change the pivot.

15. SharD

SharD Registered

Can you post the entire .gen file? I think the fault is in there somewhere.

16. SharD

SharD Registered

Well, the tyre looks solved.. but it doesn't drive! Argh!

GRAB_051.JPG GRAB_050.JPG

17. Intellego

Intellego Registered

Well done! Now the reason why it doesnt drive is because of the hdv settings. Have you modified them in some way or are they vanilla?

18. SharD

SharD Registered

I put the fisir.hdv in as placeholder, with replacing the correct parts such as the engine and the tyres with the one in the mod. Luckily, I know how to make it drive. :)

19. SharD

SharD Registered

And it drives! Whoo!

GRAB_052.JPG

20. Intellego

Intellego Registered

awesome good job!
    tbf i kinda suck at editing the hdv file, do u have any idea how can i change torque without making gears revs being super short?