SOLVED Not able to open Launcher

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by FrictioN, Aug 18, 2020.

1. FrictioN

FrictioN Registered

I have installed rFactor 2 again today, after maybe 1 year, and the Launcher wont start. It keeps on Synchronizing with Steam Workshop, and then it provides a Runtime error.

I already did install these 4
    Steam \ steamapps \ common \ rFactor 2 \ Support \ Runtimes

but no luck. I can access the single player if I start Steam on OFFLINE MODE, but if on the Launcher I try to go to the "Packages" section, it never loads and then goes to "not responding" and eventually closes.

I think it might be something related to any old mod or vehicle or track, but I dont know what else to do

Attached Files:

2. FrictioN

FrictioN Registered

Still not able to connect, and Steam has denied my refund request........

My decision to not play this Game anymore was right.

3. Bernd

Bernd Registered

From that few informations that you provide, i would say that something is blocking your connection to steam.
    And the runtime error can also appear when your installation is corrupted, i would say.
    What happens when you let steam make a file integrity check of your rfactor 2 install?

4. FrictioN

FrictioN Registered

Hi,

I have installed 2 times actually, and did a couple File Integrity Checks, but all of were fine.

Also I checked and there is no block on Windows Firewall for rFactor 2, and I don't have any Antivirus or malware apps running, only the Windows 10 ones.

Attached Files:

5. Bernd

Bernd Registered

When you 2 times have made a complete new install of rfactor 2, have you uninstalled the old one before and manually deleted all folders and files that weren't uninstalled?
    Did it ever run on your system?
    If not, please give more informations, like your hardware specifications and if you use the beta and if you are subscribed to any 3rd party workshop content, for example.

6. FrictioN

FrictioN Registered

When you 2 times have made a complete new install of rfactor 2, have you uninstalled the old one before and manually deleted all folders and files that weren't uninstalled?
    Nope, I did not, and Im going to test that now
    Did it ever run on your system?
    nope. When it was installed before I had a different CPU (Intel i5 4590k, now i have a Ryzen 5 2600), but the GPU was the same (GTX 1060 6GB)
    If not, please give more informations, like your hardware specifications and if you use the beta and if you are subscribed to any 3rd party workshop content, for example.
    To be honest I dont remember which content I did have installed. Is it possible to remove all of the content that was installed previously (and then downloaded by Steam when I reinstalled) it by deleting files?

7. Bernd

Bernd Registered

In your situation, i would:
    - option out of the beta (if you were optioned in)
    - uninstall rfactor 2
    - delete the exiting rfactor 2 installation folder manually
    - install rfactor 2 and start it with the default settings
    - see what happens
    If it still don't starts, do nothing (especially do NO manually modifications), except of reporting here what happens.
    Maybe you'll need patience, but it can maybe can be fixed, that you can run the game.

FrictioN likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Deleteing the rFactor2 folder is the key to Bernd's solution. EVERYTHING must go. When folks re-install or un-install rF2 with Steam, they only add or delete the rF2 files that make the sim work. So any mods, carsets, and tracks are all left behind and remain in place once you re-install. Thus if something is causing an issue inside one of those mod/skin folders, you are not fixing the problem. I'd double check you have your Steam key, just in case.

9. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

I have just been through this,

I unsubscribed from all non studio397 mods in steam,
    then uninstalled game in steam,
    then went in and manually deleted all the folders including the .rFactor one in appdata/roaming,
    then finally reinstalled in steam,

now it works, but I am wary of ever touching that "public-beta" thing again that installed the new UI, my problems started after I first touched it. I could not revert from it as nothing would load. I have since installed all my non steam mods as well, and all still going well.

YMMV.

FrictioN and davehenrie like this.
  10. FrictioN

FrictioN Registered

Uninstalling, then deleting all local files, PC reboot, CCLEANER for registry (just in case), reinstall

That did the trick, after downlading base game steam extended the validation from the game for like 30 minutes, and then when the Launcher started all the tracks and packages downloaded correctly and I'm able to connect to the launcher now and see all the installed tracks and mods from before.

Thanks for the help

Bernd and Kaitsu_69 like this.
  11. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

only thing I miss now is that zandvoort 2020 does not show in the regular launcher, it only ever showed in the new UI, but, sacrifice I am willing to make.

12. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Just out of interest.
    Why does the last user that jumped on the train gets a like, while i don't get one, even if i was the first who suggested the right things, that only have been repeated from the others then?

FrictioN likes this.
  13. Kaitsu_69

Kaitsu_69 Registered

Nice to see happy end, you were so frustrated....

Bernd likes this.
  14. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@FrictioN Thanks for the "Likes", but i didn't wanted to hae them, i just really wanted to know the Reason, why i didn't get one before, while the others got them. ;)

15. FrictioN

FrictioN Registered

I just did it because it was the last message to be honest hahahahahaha, nothing special. You deserved one of course, just didn't know it was important. Now you have the deserverd one.

Thanks for the replies!

CeeBee likes this.
  16. FrictioN

FrictioN Registered

Well, I started single player and it was badly configured regarding resolution, so I exited and configured video settings with my resolution 1920x1080, now I can't access single player.....

I have selected my actual GPU, I have deleted the dx11_config file, and nothing.

I can not believe this game... never had so many problems before with any game to be honest, it's impossible to play.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered