What do you guys do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FORMULAEFAN71, Aug 12, 2020.

1. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

Hi all. I was just wondering what everybody does in this sim and what cars you drive. Most of my time on this sim has come from watching the Ai race but as of recent I’ve been playing the formula e and 1986 mods. I’ve mostly been doing practice sessions trying to learn the tracks and cars, but I have done a full FE race at Berlin yesterday which I ran out of energy oops. I have also bought the lemans and a gt pack. As of current my Hong Kong, Monaco FE, and most likely lemans tracks don’t work so I’ve been mostly sticking to modded tracks. I would absolutely love to get into league racing, but I feel so limited with my WiFi and setup as well as time cuz school starts soon and my weekends will be mostly practice for my F1 2020 league. That’s about it from me, I guess this also served as an “introduce yourself” kinda thing

2. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Well, I guess a lot of people are prepping up for the upcoming VEC season 13. Endurance races, including 24 hours of LeMans. For the rest I did some races in a FE league too recently. I am also planning to create a mixed reality video soon, but need to wrap my greenscreen around everything still, and it's bloody hot right now :p

FORMULAEFAN71 likes this.
  3. atomed

atomed Member

I like to drive offline, car and track depending the taste of the moment, but almost always practice sessions on my own. Though sometimes and if the AI is good on that particular track I do short races, around 10 laps or so. Even offline I like to flash lights to aggressive AI drivers :p
    I use to train the Miata too, this weekend I´m having a track day with it in my local track and the rF2 version is by far the closest to the real thing.

4. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Just driving alone.

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I use rF2 exclusively, I only drive offline.

I only use S397 cars (only official cars created in the last 4 years) except for the last 4 slowmotion (gp3, f3, mr1, palatov d4) and of kartsim.

I only use quality tracks whether official or modded.

I prefer to drive with the AI (with the basic parameters of the game without playing the sorcerer's apprentice).

I am a huge fan of the Nurburgring as a whole and I spend around 50% of my playing time on the Nurburgring Combined.

I play exclusively in VR (impossible to come back to the screen as many VR users will tell you) and it took me 6 months to get really good graphics + performance : now it's only fun.

Only Monaco (azur circuit) and nurburgring are for the moment very poorly optimized compared to all the other tracks.

I have a bad steering wheel or entry level for those who prefer (t300) but it is perfectly tuned and thus, the FFB is really good although not at all torquey enough (only way to avoid clipping).

In short, rF2 is really an incredible simulation.....
    With a lot of flaws however.

Strongly that S397 improves it !!

atomed and FORMULAEFAN71 like this.
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I just try to regularly experience various cars handling, various tracks, various conditions and have nice racing, improve knowledge and driving/racing skills. I also seek for good immersion, and to have time well spent. I also mod, past year and a half I was focused on gaining skills for physics, but I also model cars and tracks as well. I am also looking forward to online racing. Very nice system is already available at justrace.net, unfortunately I just don't have time lately. By the way, I am also active in forums, but I think I spend here too much, it is hard to find medium, discord has too little meaning and in forums it is often getting too deep and does not always pay off, but I think being active in communities is very important, although not always easy...

atomed, pkelly and FORMULAEFAN71 like this.
  7. J0E

J0E Registered

FORMULAEFAN71, interesting that you ran out of juice at Berlin last night. So did I. I was running the power level at 6 and struggling to hold position down the straights. When I got to the halfway point, it was obvious from an announcement from CrewChief that I wasn't going to make it. I dialed back to 5 and was getting passed by the AI with ease. I started pushing then and eventually crashed into a wall and limped to the pits, coming out in 24th place out of 24. I tried to finish the race but ran out of power on the last corner before the home straight. When I'm not running the Formula E cars, I like to run the Oreca 07 especially at LeMans in VR.

8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Things I enjoyed most in the last eight years in rF2:

Driving all historic formulas at historic tracks: Like 1966 F3, F2, F1 (March and Tecno, called EVE and Spark in rF2 and Brabham) or 1970s F1 at historic 1966 Spa (Belgium in rf2) , 1966 Monaco (Monte Carlo in rF2) or 1966 Monza with bankings (Brianza in rF2). I did that online in an rF2 league. League racing in rF2 for me was the best and most thrilling online experience i ever had.

Now driving every car around Nordschleife (for now only offline). I am addicted to Nordschleife.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

:rolleyes::):):):p

And in normally a short time....

Both graphics and performance update will take place.

If the trees are improved to be as good as at Le Mans/Portland/Loch Drumond, will be totally fantastic.

10. muz_j

muz_j Registered

rFactor 2 is my go to racing sim for open wheel cars (Formula 3, Formula Renault, F1 cars from the 1970's through to the early 2000's), endurance race cars (LMP 2 & above for me really, I find GT3 a bit too slow really, especially if you've recently been blasting around in an 80's turbo era F1 car) and a few other random cars that I can't think of right now - like the Radicals etc
    I play online and offline, but quite often can't find servers online with car and track combinations I like - when I'm in the mood, so in that case, I'll play offline and get a burst of online racing in Automobilista 2, which has quickly become my go to, for an easy to fire up online session (it has good F1 cars too).

11. vittorio

vittorio Registered

oh, i have a cure for you on this. Start to learn to drive some school cars in rF2, like Skip Barber around Lime Rock Park, or 1966 F3 around 1966 Monaco (or Formula Vee from Reiza pack).
    After that, learning how to race from the beginning, every other car in rF2 is incredible fast.

12. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I think you misunderstood my comment, so I'll make it clear - I find GT3 cars boring as their power to weight ratio is pretty low compared to a lot of other faster cars and if you enable features like TC and ABS it's a snooze fest.
    Lots of people love them & that's great with me, but I tend to prefer to drive other things.
    Even stuff like the Radical SR3 - which has a lower top speed than a GT3 (about 250 kph vs about 280 for the GT3) is more exciting to me as they have really good handling and are nippy and light, but most of the time I'd rather be driving a Group C, F1 or LMP 1. My sense of speed in real life is warped from 25 years of riding sports motorcycles.
    Cars that don't have good acceleration or some excitement to them put me to sleep fast.
    If you like GT3's - great. I do enjoy some of the vintage F1 cars in various racing sim's.

13. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Playing Offline and trying to get the AMG GT3 work for me mainly at the moment
    Enjoying the other GT3/GTEs as well as the Megane Trophy and the brabham mostly on spa and other F1 tracks for some good hotlapping and sometimes races against AI

14. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

Hmm I really like the gts, yes they could be boring, not the Aston tho, that thing’s hard to keep on the track. But I find the formula cars in this (mostly mods) really awkward and not great to drive. 86 is probably the most driveable, most others are just not too fun. I like to use AC when I want to drive F1 cars

muz_j likes this.
  15. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Like i said - it's my opinion, so I'm not trying to tell anyone else what is or isn't fun to drive - we all have our own preferences.
    But for me GT3 cars just don't do much for me. I kind of wish they did, as if that was the case, I'd have a lot less problem finding online servers and lobbies to join when looking for something fun to race.
    In terms of F1 content in rFactor 2 - this isn't a definitive list, but off the top of my head - these 5 cars jump into my brain in terms of being really enjoyable to drive. I'm not saying they are better than anything else out there, but in my opinion they're all well made and very fun for a blast around your favorite track.

S397 McLaren Mp4/8
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1515644900&searchtext=mclaren

S397 McLaren M23
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1515642353&searchtext=mclaren

S397 McLaren Mp4/13
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1515650133&searchtext=mclaren

Chief Wiggum's 1986 F1 mod
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2017936746&searchtext=mclaren

ASR 1991 Ferrari 643
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1628206724

Outside of rF 2, I like all of the F1 cars in AMS 2. Assetto Corsa just doesn't do anything for me. I can't really say why exactly, but a mix of lots of small annoyances, adds up to me having no interest in putting any time into it. I have spent about 2 hours playing it in total, after buying the full version on steam. Compared to rFactor 2 where I have 300 hours, which in all honesty is actually a low figure for me when I get hooked on a game (but in fairness that's spread out over years).
    Is Assetto Corsa a bad ? - not in the least, but for some reason I just didn't click with it.
    Each to their own at the end of the day :)

16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Sense of speed isn't irreversible. Drive sports car from 50s for a week, modern gt will be a rocket, then it normalises. Drive gt a lot and then 50s sports car, and it will feel like snail with no grip, then it normalises.

17. Jirka Gillig

Jirka Gillig Registered

Most of the time I spend 15-20 minutes (out of which is 50% waiting for the tracks to load) trying to make things work as I expect them to work and after this I rage quit and go to ACC or AMS2.

18. Yigit Yusuf Mutlu

Yigit Yusuf Mutlu Registered

Open my pc, star rf2, choose ferrari gte ( befor it i mainly drove lmp2 or aston gte) choose track ( mostly the lastest realeases with pbr- lemans, silverstone, PIR these days) choose 40 opponent ( gtes and lmp2s), make real road medium and other sessions naturally progress, set 30 min practice, 10 laps quali, 1 hour race, set 10x time accelaration, make the race weekend, quit rf2, shut down pc. On my hard disk i only insatalled rf2 while in my steam library i have acc, automobilsta2, automobista 1, dirt rally, loeb rally evo, uninstalled all other games.

DrivingFast likes this.
  19. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

I picked up rFactor back in 2007 after retiring from racing for about 30 years, mostly SCCA, IMSA, Vintage, and a 5 year stint racing shifterkarts with my son. About 10 years ago I ran a league for a few years tracking the F1 season with FS1 2009 cars. We had a pretty good bunch of folks to race with, but it took quite an effort to manage the website and server. In 2012 I put rFactor away for a few years until 2015.

In 2016 through 2019 I used rF2 and rf Pro to support an IMSA dPI team to develop baseline setups, it worked pretty well. The mod was custom built for rF Pro as a clearbody for the original factory affiliated team owner of the car, and the entire racing package was acquired by one of our former racing partners in 2016. They've moved on to leasing a seat in an LMP2 car for 2020.

Mostly just offline for 30-60 minute sessions, often in Practice mode, dialing cars in. I've taken a few mods and updated & repackaged them for personal use. Mostly focus on Group C, IndyCars, McLaren GTR, some of the vintage F1 cars, and most of the S397 open wheelers.

Not much interest in GT3 cars which seems to be the rage, they just don't offer tunability and rely too much on driver assist.

Off & on, I've puttered with building a track that's based on a series of roads in Arizona that would make for a spectacular road course. Significant elevation changes with a wide array of delights including high speed sweepers, technical mountain passes, and several exception passing points, with a total length of 6 miles per lap. Just way too much artwork to focus on for a while, but one day I'm likely to finish it.