Do I need a 7 year old PC

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Paul Hutt, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Paul Hutt

Paul Hutt Registered

I am looking to get a PC for rFactor 2. I have gone to several sites to confirm the minimum and recommended components, etc. Everyone had the same information.

However Game Debate had the following statement at the conclusion of the specs. "We suggest a 7 year old PC to play smoothly." Your analysis of what they are saying and what components I should avoid is appreciated.

THANKS
    Paul Hutt

2. Uff

Uff Registered

As far as I recall, the system requirements were never updated after the sim moved to the DX 11 engine. I wouldn't take those requirements as granted, I definitely would avoid a 7 years old machine.
    In general I would choose at least a quad core CPU and a nVidia graphic card, together with 16 GB of RAM. As usual, everything depends on how much you want to spend for it.

B. Gant likes this.
  3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@Paul Hutt

You must specify if you are playing on a monitor, in full HD, average number of images per second, if you want to be free in the choice of racing conditions (rain, high number of AI, 24H cycle, etcetera) , and how good you want the graphics to look.

By experience, for full hd + all racing conditions + track and cars demanding + lots of AI + multiclass + max graphics + 60 FPS at 99.9% of the time, you need minimum :

i7 4790K (or 4770K) or equivalents + GTX 1080 TI (or min GTX 1080 OC) + 16 GB RAM (strongly recommended DDR4) + SSD for loading times + PCIe 3.0 motherboard.

If you play without rain, without 24H cycle, with little AI.....

A much less powerful PC is enough, even without lowering the graphics.

I speak to you according to my personal experience.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Never, ever, NEVER believe minimum specs. Not now, Not Never. If you want the full power and glory of rF2, then there isn't a system alive that won't choke at least a little bit. Get as much hardware performance as you can afford and the start dialing back rF2 to match your system's capabilities.

5. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

muz_j likes this.
  6. Paul Hutt

Paul Hutt Registered

Thanks for everyone's input.

7. muz_j

muz_j Registered

It's a pretty funny typo to make when you think about it.
    I'm imagining people shopping online for PC's, in the same manner some people buy and sell vintage cars.
    "That computer's nice, but it's just not the right vintage - I want something a little bit older".

Filip likes this.