Game lag while playing online

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by RicoF, Aug 14, 2020.

1. RicoF

RicoF Registered

I run rF2 with VR and at times the game lags badly, gets stuck, making driving impossible online. Is this game related or connection related? I am asking as sometimes, I get no issues at all, but at times as I said it is impossible to drive.

Just to provide more info, whilst racing Sochi - minimum to no problems, Singapore - huge problems.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

That really happens online only, never in single player?
    I don't use VR, but that should make no difference.
    What are your ingame up and download rate settings and what kind of connection do you use (bandwith, Lan/WLan....)?

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Singapore has heavy impact of FPS on me in VR from what I remember and I run offline.

4. muz_j

muz_j Registered

to verify what's actually happening, or at least rule the network connection in or out in terms of root cause analysis, you'd need to have a network traffic capture going in the background while the lags and slow down are happening and then have a detailed look at it afterwards. something like WireShark, which is a good free tool will let you do this.
    You could also capture and log other performance information using either the Windows built in performance monitor tools, or other stuff like the SysInternals toolkit (available for free from MS).
    I've written a couple of posts in the past with some basics in it (I think), but I'm not sure how many people can actually be bothered going to the effort to work through this sort of thing (I've done a lot of performance analysis work professionally for a long time).

The fact that it happens occassionally would make me suspect the network connection in the first instance, as that's the most likely variable with online gaming, but that's not to say it couldn't be caused by another factor - like performance spikes in your computer, but if it was me, I'd try and reproduce it, run a background network capture with WireShark and have some basic performance monitoring running with the Windows Performance Monitor and go from there. Start with logging intervals set at a lower rate, but it needs to be fast enough (frequency) to capture information relevant to doing a root cause analysis (i.e. you are unlikely to capture a given event, if your data capturing interval is spaced more widely than the event frequency - if you can get the gist of what I'm saying).
    Capturing more data at a higher frequency sounds like a good idea, but be wary of setting it too frequently, or you will end up with information overload very quickly, which is why I typically start slower and get a feel for what's occuring and then increase the rate of capture once you have a high level idea of what is happening.

Network data and performance can vary for a large number of reasons and most of them are outside of your control (on the internet).
    Re-reading your comments, if it's track specific, then that's probably pointing to a general performance issue - like CPU and GPU performance, but I'd probably take a general approach, keep an open mind and see what the performance data tells you.

...it can take a while and quite a few of effort to do this sort of work - so perhaps do some basic testing to try and narrow down suspected root causes before you start doing any performance logging - if you decide to do that.
    i.e. try and narrow down the scope of the suspected problem using simple logic.
    for a quick check of your PC's performance when in game, use something like the On Screen Display from RivaTuner's Statistics Server, which comes with MSI Afterburner (which works on Nvidia and AMD GPUs).

...good luck.

5. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered