Spa rumours! & The 1966 Belgium Grand Prix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul McC, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I've heard a lot of talk, rumors and requests for Spa to become one of the offical S397 tracks for Rfactor 2.

Im sure if this happened everyone here would be well chuffed, I certainly would!I love the modern Spa circuit and have great memories of driving it mostly in GTR2 (built on the original ISI Rfactor G Motor2 engine). Great track!

Aonther thread on here got me thinking though, it was to do with the recently updated Loch Drummond track that S397 updated from the original ISI version, on which they've done a fantastic job!
    Now a friend of mine had suggested I put a video together using the old layout of Spa, which is called 'Belgium 1966' and the Brabham BT20. This track is also an old ISI track!

So what im thinking is it would be great to have a brand new laser scanned version of Spa as it is today, but also an updated version of 'Belgium 1966'. Obviously they can't go back in time and laser scan that, but it would be a good oppertunity to use it to show off they're new PBR magic like they did with Loch Drummond!

I'd never really tried the old Spa track till just now and it drive's great, i've kinda fallen in love with it whilst making the video! Obviously if we do ever get a modern laser scanned version of Spa it will be payed DLC, and i'll buy it in a heartbeat! But I'd also be very happy to pay for a track pack with both versions, or pay for the modern version and maybe see a free updated version of the old ISI track that can show off what S397 can do with it.

What do you guys think, would old Spa be as of much interest to everyone as new Spa and if so how should it be packaged? We've got quite a few older F1 cars in the game to enjoy it with.

Also the old version does have some problems, does'nt react well to rain at all, track turns black as space, and no reflections so it could do with an update, but its got some really interesting aspects to like the movable straw bails and wooden post markers that can even damage the car if hit too hard.

Anyway I tried to re-create a short 4 lap version of the 1966 GP there which was soaking wet, only 7 cars left by the 2nd lap! involved greats like Stewart, Brabham, Surtees, Clark & Hill. It was feckin terrifying! But really engaging, I really love this track and car combo now!

Oh and Apey, This ones for you mate!

2. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

"Just going to get some slipstream here"
    See's where he is, knows how it ends :D

Didn't know about the rain textures, which is a shame. I'd absolutely love to see the Vintage content be given a second pass, I find the cars and tracks from this period so much more engaging than Modern.

Good vid man, adding rain was just mental.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Paul McC and Mauro like this.
  3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The old ISI version is pretty, really, but when it comes to layout and turns I don't find it very interesting.

And that's the main thing for me.

I would prefer that they update an incredible track, with an incredible layout, but actually requiring a lot of investment and totally offline oriented : the Targa Florio.

But I do not believe it, as it is oriented offline and that it interests very little S397.

Paul McC likes this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Official Targa ? Thats one hell of a wishlist item haha

5. Uff

Uff Registered

In regards to the Targa there's already another project meant to recreate the track from scratch, see here.
    So far only the version for AC is available for testing (the road is complete, but there still is work to do on the surrounding), hopefully at the end it will be available for rF2 too. ;)

Paul McC likes this.
  6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

To tell the truth I am not very optimistic about a version of rF2.

I wouldn't give any money until I was 100% sure there was an rF2 version.

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I think they will run out of mesh budget before they complete the course in AC.

Also the money model for this seems a bit too fishy for me.

8. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

If they bring SPA, i really hope they'll bring the "Bus Stop" 90's layout too...

Just dreaming...

delapecs, Emery, Bill Worrel and 3 others like this.
  9. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

All layouts would be great!

Rui Santos likes this.
  10. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Is this the version ive seen in Jimmy Broadbents videos?

11. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Having not really tried it till just lately I think I would have thought so to, llooking at the track map, but now ive tried it, especially with these cars, im hooked!

12. Uff

Uff Registered

I think so, even if that one was a very old build (the latest version is 0.2.3, which was released to Patreon supporters just a few days ago).
    Anyway, I'm OT, I think we should keep this thread for Spa. :)

13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I agree rF2 1966 Spa (Belgium) is just awesome. It gave me many month of pure thrill in the past (especially when driven with 1966 F1).

I wouldn't mind to pay for a refurbished rF2 historic package including 1966 F1, F2, F3 cars and 1966 tracks (Spa, Monaco, Monza and maybe add Longford .. ) using latest rF2 graphics standards and physics standards. I would buy that DLC in a second.

14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Im absolutely hooked mate, and yep, its scary as hell in the rain!

The Great Apt likes this.
  15. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I did it! I actually fecking did it this time, 4 laps completed! Took hours but it was worth it! WARNING! This time round there was a lot more swearing.... And cows!

The Great Apt likes this.
  16. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Congratulations! I remember it took me several days, probably even more than a week to do three laps with a 1966 F1 (Spark) at rF2 Belgium without a crash (But that time in 2012 I had a TV with >100ms latency. Hard to react. Maybe just have to find some excuse ..), though constantly. Not once, but for every online race was the goal. And that fast :)

For me that was one golden time of rF2. There always was an online server with >10 people in my timezone. Often three online servers full with ppl. Doing that challenge - and compete in a three lap race ...
    Later similar with Monaco. Later Monza with bankings..

17. Obbzy_XR_

Obbzy_XR_ Registered

We had this in a series with 60s F1s a little while ago. Hair raising stuff!
    I think Belgium 66 is in our current series for later in the year. This time with the S397 GT3s!
    Modern cars on a ridiculously fast old school circuit! What could possibly go wrong!!! Lol

The Great Apt and Paul McC like this.
  18. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Yeah the historic Monte Carlo track is one of my favourites! Have had alot of fun there in the McLaren M23 and one of the low powered Tatuus, glad you brought it up actually as I haven't checked to see if it has the same problem that Belgium does with road textures on the rain. Longford is a track I've not tried in a while may have to pay a visit and set up the car with long gears. I will be spending alot of time with Belgium though, wanna now give it a try with a different kind of car, think Radical, MCR2000 or Palatov D4 may suit, oh! That's given me an idea for another video

19. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Oh I'd love to be able to jump into RF2 and find full public servers everyday like in AC. Do you know about my POTATO servers? They're set up for just that!

20. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

GT3's hey, with Lemans gearing? Have to try that! I'm thinking in terms of mad top speed a run round in a McLaren Senna may be mind bending experience!

Obbzy_XR_ likes this.