Lets talk about the MERC GT3 FFB?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LokiD, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep. That's exactly what it means.

If the front axle has 600kg on it and the rear has 400kg, the tyres at the front end have more work to do than the ones at the rear when it comes to cornering. During turn in you might still be braking and have 650kg load on the front, 350kg on the rear, and then there'll be less understeer (because the mass at each axle hasn't changed, but the weight has - and excuse the poor non-physics use of these terms!). As you know load sensitivity of rubber means double load doesn't give double friction, so adding mass to an axle can only reduce the ability to move it laterally.

Different tyres, different phases or scenarios, different inputs, aerodynamics, can all impact on this. It's a generality. It's only as much of a generality as "weight balance to the front gives more oversteer" which is the opposite of what I'm saying and - I believe - is incorrect. Note the quote I was responding to when I first talked about the misconception.

2. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

thanks again

Did some more tests last night with a bunch of cars from GT3,GTE and Open wheelers. Although I thought it was improving, I feel I am still having the worse behavior with the AMG with this very pronounced understeer and light wheel FFB overall in slow/mid speed cornering.

I am experiencing the weirdest thing, for me owning several Sims, with the TM Control panel.It appears that the wheel rotation angle is being modified by RF2 with the latest car driven before exiting the game. That may be normal or explain some of the issues happening to me, or others.

its holiday season in Japan so I will continue to test the AMG specifically in the next few days,I want to get this issue sorted but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work and i will move on.

3. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

thanks JimmyT

did that as well but no joy with this particular car unfortunately:(:(:(

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

It is normal in rF2 with TM.

The most important thing to do in rF2 with any wheel, is to set the box "set vehicle" or something like this I don't have the exact term. And for all cars.

You can also set in the controller.Json "offroad multiplier" to 1 (correspond to 100% to have realistic FFB on grass and sand). Default is 0.3 (30%).

5. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Thanks
    honestly 1st sim i own that would modify a 3rd party .exe or .ini file thats a bit scary if you ask me:mad:

So that means i will have to restore this wheelangle in TM control panel every time i play another Sim, not sweet:eek:

Wheel set checked as it was mentioned to me indeed

I am getting plenty of FFB from grass/astroturf but i will give this hint a go, who knows:D

Thanks again for spending time in advising me

Ps is there any mod out there with another AMG car i could pick up?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  6. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

https://www.studio-397.com/2018/11/roadmap-update-november-2018/

Scroll down to
    Software Wheel Rotation Explained
    and follow the steps

7. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

@nolive721 can you try this, remove your current controller.json and when you restart the game instead of detecting your wheel or selecting a wheel to map the keys, use AZ Keyboard and map your keys and buttons as per normal (make sure you rotate your wheel all the way to the right and left when mapping it. This has worked for some people. Don't forget to name it something other than Keyboard when you save the controller profile.
    upload_2020-8-13_20-9-29.png

You can map your controls to any of the pre sets they're just set up for default for ease of use.
    Let me know if this helps.

8. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Man I made you a controller profile with all the software rotation settings all sorted out. You just need to set TM to 1080, load that profile and click vehicle set. Done.

9. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

There’s a workaround:

“In order to use this new system, you have to explicitly turn it on in your Controller.JSON file (which you can find in your UserData\player folder). The line you’re looking for is called “Steering Wheel Software Rotation,” and if you don’t see it yet, please make sure you have updated to build 1112, run the game once and exit it again. The line defaults to “false,” and you should change that to “true”. The next step is to go into your wheel driver and the rotation to the maximum value it supports”

https://www.studio-397.com/2018/11/roadmap-update-november-2018/

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Akela_DE @avenger82 apart from the fact doddynco already provided a profile with software rotation enabled, linking to that roadmap update honestly only confuses things. Not only did many people struggle to follow it at the time, the mention of Build 1112 could cause further confusion.

I used to always link to a post I did explaining how to do it, maybe that's not a popular choice so here's one from Christopher:

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-the-thrustmaster-profile.66844/#post-1035521

So @nolive721 , use doddynco's profile or set your wheel up from scratch as others have suggested and then follow Christopher's post to set up Software Rotation Lock, which will stop rF2 changing your wheel's rotation outside the game. (it's not interfering with any .exe or .ini , it's just not putting it back properly when it's done)

11. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

@doddynco
    I did follow your file and used it, I didnt know about this wheel rotation issue in RF2 until I followed another suggestion to delete my controller.json and start from scratch.
    I deeply appreciate your help, hope you appreciate also that I could try other things considering the profile you created didn't work out as much as I was hoping for

@Akela_DE @avenger82
    Thanks guys for pointing this out, I am new to RF2 so I guess I am still on my learning curve with some caveats of the game

@Lazza
    yes I will.thanks for your support

12. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Mercedes experiencing understeer..i can vouch for that behaviour because it is similar to ACC's version of mercedes and mercedes is my 2nd most driven car in ACC.
    Good thing that both rf2 and ACC have similar handling characteristics

13. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Someone needs to call Mercedes and tell them that they've been using the wrong physics.

vittorio likes this.
  14. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I can't be sure the physics are realistic, you can never be sure unless you drive the real car.

But since the beginning, and even very recently, I like the behavior of the car and the FFB too.

15. franser

franser Registered

I really like the driving and the ffb of this car, the fbb is fantastic as it feels in the change of setups. The car tends to go ahead due to the weight of the engine but with setups you can make the car drive fantastic.
    It is the car that most transmits me to the ffb along with the formula renault 3.5, the formula isi and the indycar

16. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Did the recent update do anything to the AMG behavior? I am away from my rig this week so cant try myself

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

nothing was specifically mentioned in the release notes.

18. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

@Rene Buttler mentioned that the AMG issues are being worked on for the next update.

19. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Registered

Kind of annoying that it's taking so long. I mean the first post in this thread was in December 2017, nearly 3 years ago!

Akela_DE, J7166 and nolive721 like this.
  20. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

C
    Can only agree with that

Jeremy Talbot likes this.