SOLVED the meaning of colored material in ctrl+U dev mod

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by hstevefrancis, Aug 11, 2020.

1. hstevefrancis

hstevefrancis Registered

continue on the Modding cars
    the chassis.ini and .hdv files always get me wrong
    I can direct apply both file from already existed cars. and it will appear on track stable.

but I want to build a car ground up. so I try the official spreadsheet and generate both files(it's a pain)
    not a easy method but looks more promising
    however put the generated ini and hdv files to my car always get funny situations

[​IMG]

situation like above, the car will immediately turn oneside down at beginning and no way to steer this shit XD
    i am pretty sure every numbers is equally left to right in the spreadsheet and chassis.ini is checked @+ptool already

but put both files inside the test folder will give me result like this HAHA

any idea how to read the colored lines of dev mod?
    like the yellow line?
    and the pink boxes shift front & left, is that front and rear weight?
    thanks for all the replies

and how to debug the .hdv files?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Pink boxes represent the subbodies in your chassis file.

With results like that I'd say you have some incompatible values in your spreadsheet, or some supporting files (like the TGM and tbc) don't match what you've put in. Check your trace files for any errors that help.

Generally I'd say start with the working base values, change as little as possible and check that it still works, then change something else and check again.

If you haven't already, take some time to skim through this: https://www.studio-397.com/category/news/development/

3. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Pretty much what Lazza said. Also note that the chassis.ini also corresponds to lines in the .hdv. If you copy the chassis.ini from another car, you are more than likely going a have to copy those lines as well. "PushRodOutboard" "Pushrodinboard" "FWForceDistrib" are examples.

4. hstevefrancis

hstevefrancis Registered

thanks for replay above, I solve the situation via relocate the CG height
    now the car is stable load inside the game, but the anterior wheels just can't stop go one way or another
    See the video -->
    I checked the alignment were positive caster and toe in on front wheels
    but the tire just not stable, is there any clue about the problem?
    HDV or chassis files were checked hundreds of times.... not know what to do

another questions: what's the blue sprig-like stuff in ctrl+U layout? It works like a shock or damper but Its direction just not followed real car installed(and we cant set the position?).So how is this little blue spring stand for?

Setting pushrod was also confusing. Since the stock car had no pushrod designed. I found an old post said the NSX mod car just leave the pushrod straight-up. But how to define the height and insertion point.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's your pushrod. In rF2 the damper and spring are together, what you're seeing is the position of the pushrod you defined in the spreadsheet. (you should see the same position in the 'Susp' sheet)

Depending what car you're doing, you may need to simplify or analyse the suspension to work out how to represent it in rF2.

What are you basing your wishbones on? And is your steering arm / tie rod positioned and aligned properly? The physics will do whatever's right with what you give it. So if your suspension design means the car will want to 'fall' to one side or the other, that's what it will do.

6. hstevefrancis

hstevefrancis Registered

[QUOTE="Lazza, post: 1036546,
    Depending what car you're doing, you may need to simplify or analyse the suspension to work out how to represent it in rF2."
    [/QUOTE]

it's a production car with front double wishbone(Lower L arm) and rear multi-link suspension
    that's really what I want to understand, the analysis the layout of my suspension, how to?
    without any official data I build up the suspension system only by graphic and photos, it's not accurate for sure
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the best I can do now is setting up the location of each component through the position in my 3d build and put numbers inside spreadsheet
    [​IMG]

exporting chassis.ini
    and exams this result in +ptool
    however run whole chassis.ini in ptool will only fall down directly(or any further examination but not noted in official document?)

is ptool for a chassis exmanimation? or I should refer to other software or document to calculate and check my design?
    I want to understand the chassis ground up, but lack the solution to exam it

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, everything into pTool with nothing else and it'll all fall down :)

There's a series of entries at the bottom of the Susp sheet, below the chassis.ini lines, with ground and spring entries for ptool. I think you could paste those into your chassis.ini file before you pull it into ptool - I haven't done that myself yet, but I'm playing with suspension modifications right now and will try that at some point.

Other analysis I think to some extent will need to be done by you, either using some software or using the spreadsheet (or your own, or your own pages) to check that various measurements make sense (checking that things like roll centre, mechanical trail and scrub radius, etc, are in reasonable ranges). A multi-link will be difficult to get right without some design software or your own analysis, but if you know the characteristics it'll be easier to emulate it with double a-arms.

8. hstevefrancis

hstevefrancis Registered

interesting to find that official skipbarber in dev folder acts the same as my own MOD car
    is it default to be front wheel happy like my previous video? or something wrong?

The same glitch front tire(maybe rear tire also) behavior on both skipbarber and my MOD car
    make me wonder how to exam the car setup properly with dev mod .........

upadte: the true reason of the ant. tire continuous flip is the FFB setup.......
    i was to stupid to forget my direct drive wheel was setup by another .json file at normal game mode
    it must hit me a lot at my first play of rF2, and I fixed it, and then I totally forgot it.
    the solution : copy the .json file for my DDW to devmod folder and the FFB respond is normal now
    not the cause my chassis or HDV steup ..... Orz

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Lazza likes this.