Simracing saves lives!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by memoNo1, Jul 28, 2020.

1. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

A few days ago I drove my Ford Galaxy (yes yes, it is not a sports car) through the city center.
    Suddenly it started to rain slightly.
    I took the roundabout too quickly on a wet lane and started skidding! I instinctively steered against it and gave a light thrust with my perfectly trained racing driver reflexes and experiences :).
    Then I was really awake again! Immediately the thought came to me "Damn! Simracing saves lives!".

Before I get bored with you, I'll get to the point.
    Should you have difficulties getting past your loved one to pursue your beloved hobby, say to your wife the following: "I only train in the event that hopefully it never happens. The world on the streets is dangerous. I just want to be prepared ".

Whether it works, well, I don't think so, but the main thing is that we believe in it .... :).

Keep on racing !

pkelly, GeraArg, buzz hornet and 2 others like this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have had similar experience.

memoNo1 likes this.
  3. Filip

Filip Registered

I would say that simracing almost killed you as it likely contributed to the situation of you driving too fast.
    Since I started simracing I became more reckless driver, throttle happy.
    I've read other simracers noticed that about themselves too.

mantasisg likes this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Hard to measure, but there's increase in confidence. Especially if it is mega easy to drive in sim.

5. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

No actually not at all. Quite the opposite. I gained a lot more respect before driving. Races have lost nothing on the road. If you can show what you can do, you should go on the track. rF2 showed me how hard it is to be fast. I'm careful on the street (RL).

6. dylbie

dylbie Registered

No doubt I've probably got out of a lot of situations as a result of driving techniques learnt from sim racing... but I've also got myself into a lot of dodgy situations too! :D

The positives - I remember practicing for a race at the Nurburgring with some historic F1 cars and I swear my reactions/responses were massively improved after a few days of practice. So much so that a normal twisty bit of road on my commute I could completely nail as fast as my car would allow, on the edge of grip using all of the road and hitting every apex like a pro! It also honed my abilities to a point that I can drive a lot faster in my old shitbox MR2 - with a measly 122bhp, skinny tyres, no ABS, no stability control, no power steering, and no traction control - than most other drivers on the road with modern machinery/electronics in monsoon conditions.

The negatives - Driving in my old daily driver - an E36 325TDS with no traction control and massive turbo lag - I decided a roundabout in heavy rain was a good place to test my tokyo drifting skills. Lets just say the boost came on in a predictable, suddenly immediate way and I had full opposite lock and hit the lock stop and the car was still rotating, which was when I closed my eyes! Only for the car to regain grip and exit the roundabout miraculously. I imagine it looked quite impressive from outside the car, but it was pure luck that I didn't crash. Next up was in an E39 530d. This car does have ESC but I decided to switch it off again to test my skills going sideways. This time I didn't correct enough and ended up bouncing over a grass verge for about 20m! Luckily no one was around to witness it! I returned home with my tail between my legs and ESC back on! :confused:

memoNo1 likes this.
  7. Alan Dove

Alan Dove Registered

You were driving too fast....so no it didn't save a life. You should not BE in that scenario in the first place

8. lagg

lagg Registered

That happened because you forgot to close your eyes :p

9. dylbie

dylbie Registered

There is a possibility that I'm a better driver when I have my eyes closed! :D

lagg and memoNo1 like this.
  10. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Everyone makes mistakes. I think the point he's trying to make is that in that situation the skills he had gained from sim racing enabled him to get out of it. Someone who doesn't do sim racing might not have.

I, on the other hand, was just dicking around. Although I always make sure there is no one else around, and I'm in the car on my own. So maybe for me it should be 'Simracing prevents accidental suicide'.

memoNo1 likes this.
  11. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Hehe.. i love guys :cool::D:p.

Hey Mark, Manfred, Rastas tell us your stories..!

12. Alan Dove

Alan Dove Registered

Someone who who didn't do sim racing might have not put themselves in that position int he first place because they wouldn't be carrying too much false confidence. This is from someone who has landed on their head in a road car.

13. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Okay, I admit it, sometimes I also play with Heel & Toe when I'm on the go .. or brake with my left foot. The first time I almost flew out of the window because I have a hard brake setting on the pedals over the left foot .. well ..

14. Comante

Comante Registered

I'm slow both in RL and in RF , but I think simulations help understanding things that driving school omitt.for example I live near the sea in Italy, not much snow to play with. I'm far better on the occasional snow than most people. At least I'm able to commute from home to work and viceversa when most people give up. I've seen people unable to get out of a parking slot because the snow plow left 10cm of snow behind their cars....

15. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

I’m sorry, is this some sort of european joke I’m too American to understand?

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Not just European, but they are rare (at best) in the US. Try googling "roundabout" and find the small versions.

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

After playing a car with a clutch over a period of time, I then have trouble with my real car as my clutch foot stomps on the non-existent clutch pedal in my CV tranny Nissan Juke.

18. dylbie

dylbie Registered

This is the correct use of a roundabout.

And this is the correct use of a roundabout if you get confused and miss your exit so need to go around again just to make sure you're going the right way... ;)

19. Filip

Filip Registered

People don't known what roundabout is?
    I thought every country has them.

20. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

I know what it is:p. But really I have never seen one in the us before