GT3+nurburgring framrate question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Karlis Vitols, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

is 397 nurburgring/greenhell + 397 GT3 is SUPER CPU hungry, or my PC is broken? i had smooth performance with rf2 before (toban/limerock + some isi car, or even Sebring + 397 porsche CUP), but with this above mentioned combo i cant race liek before.. did i miss something?
    is there some option to autotest and optimize optimal graphic setings for pc+rf2
    (i think rf1 had something like this, but maybe my memoty playing tricks)

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The Nurb/Nords just got a graphic update that might be stressing your system. The GP circuit was already under investigation for low fps. Portland also is seemingly very demanding. reduce the number of AI cars. Dont drive at dusk or dawn, save. Save. Save.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@karlisss start by checking your memory usage, both ram and video ram. If you're running out of either your performance will die. Lower track detail, texture quality, and AI number to try and fit everything in.

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@karlisss

A performance optimization is currently underway by S397 for Nurburgring.

Currently, the 2 tracks with the worst performance are the Nurburgring (GP and Nords) and Circuit d'Azur (Monaco).
    I may be forgetting one.

Be patient for the Nurburgring, hopefully this second pass of optimizations will be very positive.

I must say that the first optimization pass, carried out about 1 month ago, has not changed anything on my system !!

atomed likes this.
  5. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

On my system I have noticed a considerable improvement to the Nürburgring GP section of this track. I use VR and going past the pits used to be horrendous. Now, my FPS does drop to 45, but it is a lot, lot smoother. Like most things, people's systems etc will play an important role in all of this.

Lazza likes this.
  6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I agree.

But all of my performance tests to configure rF2 I do them on the Nurburgring Combined (VR) systematically with EXACTLY the same racing conditions + ingame graphics + nvidia control panel.

I just vary the supersampling in the event that the performance would be better following an optimization.

There, I didn't see any differences (same time, no timescale, same car, same opponent, no rain, same number of visible AI).

But I trust S397 for the second optimization pass.

7. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

ok. i reed framedrop manual here on forum and managed to get even 200fps with 397 GT3+GP NURB COMBO... but i must say, its not a very pleasant look... i also chose smaler screen res 1600x900, no shadows no reflections etc... game looks like science lab sim. very simple look and blury. with shadows and med track and player details withour reflections i can get 110fps average.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

How much vram does your 1050ti have?

9. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

total avalable graphic memory: 12263 MB
    Dedicated video memory: 4096 MB
    System Video memory: 0 MB
    Shared System memory 8167 MB
    VRAM: 4018 MB

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I suspect 4 GB is on the low end for that particular track. If you can find the minimum number of settings changes to make it fit (remember number of AI is included, so test with your normal field size) your performance should be fine and it shouldn't look so bad.

I'm not sure how well track detail has been utilised but I'd start there first, as it has no real impact on how things look (just what you can see).

11. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

how to improve PC for more VRAM? do i need new videocard or do i need more RAM?

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

vram is for the video card, but if you have a laptop, the video is not a replaceable item. Therefore more system ram. But ask around cuz alot of laptop users have not been able to get rF2 to recognize system ram as vram.

13. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Unfortunately yes in the Norschleife.

When you just put high instead of ultra-circuit detail, all the trees are much less detailed and it's visible even in VR.

When you love this track, it's not a parameter to lower.

But otherwise I agree that this setting can improve performance regarding the lack of VRAM.

14. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

im not on laptop...

15. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

@karlisss take a few screenshots from your nvidia control panel settings, if those are fine?

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

New video card. But before you do anything rash, check your usage to confirm you're running out, then adjust settings to reduce the usage and see if you're ok with it.

17. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

ok. googled and edited something with geeforce expierience and also something inside pc with (dont remmember) and performance improved.
    Silverstone, Zandworth goes perfect on high and pleasant setings (even green cpu indicator have whyte area) Nurb goes ok, 48fps..-60fps
    thnaks for replays
    considering upgrade to SSD at first, then RAM

18. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Both are very much worth it. The Nurburgring is the most demanding track for me in terms of CPU and memory utilisation (system and GPU).
    As others have said - your GPU memory and system memory are both at the low end.
    I recommend at least 16 GB system memory and 6 GB GPU memory for 1920x1080p resolution.
    Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure I use about 12 GB of system memory and almost 6 GB, but not quite of GPU memory in rF 2 at this track.

Verify resource utilisation (CPU, system memory, GPU and GPU memory) using a tool like RivaTuner's on screen display, which integrates with MSI Afterburner (it supports other products too I believe). I repeat - verify your resource utilisation rather than just guessing.
    If you exceed your GPU memory - i.e. it gets fully used, then the game will end up having to shuffle data around, between system memory, gpu memory and reading from disk as needed - which is an obvious performance overhead - i.e. it will reduce your performance.

Running the game from SSD will speed up loading times nicely. In my case I have other games on my SSD too and I have a lot of content in rFactor 2, so my compromise is to relocate my tracks folder to the SSD - as that's a much larger chunk of data to be reading and I leave the vehicles folder on my old hard drive. That works for me and it's as easy as creating a junction point, or simlink (both names refer to the same thing). You can use the MKLINK command from an administrator command prompt to create them, using the syntax "MKLINK /J "c:\games\source game folder" "d:\games\destination folder". The source folder will be created to point to the target - so for a steam game, close steam, move the source folder to another location, create the junction point and then copy the data to the target. I leave a copy of the source data on the original disk, so I can revert the change quickly if I feel like it.

19. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

OK.
    little bit different aspect of question:
    why in general Silverstone runs much bether and almost every other track, than Nurb?
    is it because GT layout loads together with greenhell and it tooks PC memory with 22km track, witch is not used? or superhigh textures and million poligon meshes for buildings?
    do anyone knows?