AI behavior behind the safety car

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gregoryleo, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Gregoryleo

Gregoryleo Registered

I'm still fairly new to rF2, and I'm wondering if there is a way to get the ai to stop fighting for position behind the safety car?
    I was in p10 on silverstone historic layout with 20 cars on the track when the safety car came out. And the only car to keep up with the safety car was p1. The next car was about 10 seconds back from him and I was stuck behind 8th and 9th about 20 seconds back from the leader, who were trading places like it was full race speed and we were fall back rapidly. This happens almost every time there is a safety car. By the time it goes back to green, I don't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning. Kinda frustrating when your trying to keep the AI at a competitive level. I enjoy battling for position in the pack, in fact it is probably my favorite part of sim racing. But I also like having a chance to win just as much.

Anyway not trying to bitch, just looking for solutions.
    Gregoryleo

Griffin Johnson likes this.
  2. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Mate I run, as do a lot of others rules set to black flag only. You will still get blue flag and yellow flag warnings but you won't get a pace car.

FORMULAEFAN71 and Gregoryleo like this.
  3. Gregoryleo

Gregoryleo Registered

Thank you Sir. I set it to off, but that didn't feel much better. I will switch to black.

t0p5ecret likes this.
  4. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Hi Gregoryleo
    I'm also fairly new to rF2. Have you tried editing the player.json with the following amendment.

"AI Formation by Position":true,
    "AI Formation by Position#":"If true, AI will line up for yellow or formation laps by fixed position behind the pace car, if false they will line up relative to specific car they should be following",

The default is false, but with true the Ai are told to line up based on their position instead of behind the car in front. When I have tried this it fixes the issue of the field being broken up between 1st and 2nd. Although the issue with this change is that the Ai tend to ignore you and sometimes overtake you if you do not hold your position and stick your elbows out a bit. But that's a lot better than a broken up field.

Mark.

Shadak likes this.
  5. Gregoryleo

Gregoryleo Registered

Thank you I’ll have to give that a try.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've done a lot of testing recently with this turned on/off and the difference has been marginal, for the most part the AI do work under a FCY but things can get messy on both settings used in my tests.

7. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

That's interesting. The few times I have tried racing with the safety car active I have always had the field split after the leader, unless I use the setting above. Then every time the field has stayed bunched up behind the safety car. But in reality this has only been a relatively low number of races as I use black flag only rules for most of my races as they are short. Maybe more testing required.

Mark.