Well done S397, well done to the teams working on the graphics engine + car + track

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrivingFast, Aug 3, 2020.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I have seen substantial improvements in the graphics area, on the new tracks and cars.

1) For example, concerning cars (488) :

More details and I have the impression of an improvement related to the PBR, well treated LODs.

2) In terms of tracks (portland, silverstone, loch drumond, le mans) :

Detailed tracks, fairly successful 2D grass textures, a substantial improvement in even 2D trees (I deactivate the shadows, but there are like shadows on trees or a kind of really very successful contrast), the aspect of the road is quite successful, .... The sand could be a little improved but gives a slight impression of volume while being 2D (it lacks detail I would say). On some tracks like the Nurburgring GP, some objects (grandstands, ...) are displayed late, it's unpleasant and it's a bad optimization IMO.

3) Finally, on the whole image :

The graphic improvement which is being deployed allowed a substantial improvement of visual realism (contrast, color, tone, color temperature ........), on all tracks (I play at 02:30 PM for performance reasons). The day/night cycle has improved, but there is still some work to do in this area.

What's great is that this improvement affects also people who have graphics set very low = good choice (better than improving shadows for example, which probably will be later)

In short, well done S397, well done to the teams working on the graphics engine + car + track.

WELL DONE !!

atomed, memoNo1, Remco Majoor and 9 others like this.
  2. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I'm a bit skeptical about whether your impressions are real. I mean there wasn't any mentions about further improvements on Ferrari 488 or the ones you refereed in point 3.

3. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

The Ferrari was top notch and best in class (in term of materials and latest tech) from initial release.
    Also apply to initial release Portland.
    Silverstone was updated recently (a few weeks ago IIRC)

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

This. Looks like a very well made 3d model (same used in ACC?) but no mention of PBR improvements on cars

5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I completely agree that these the graphical updates are a huge improvement, and give me faith in the future of the sim.

The 488 is the only car rocking the new interior shaders (they are really nice). The other cars have yet to be updated with them.

They were experimenting with screen space refections - if they can intergrate that properly we will have a glorious game in the wet too. Hopefully that will be the last major graphical improvements before they focus their attention to gameplay and physics.

Amazing work guys.

atomed likes this.