Latest Roadmap Update - July 2020

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jul 31, 2020.

1. TJones

TJones Registered

Basically the whole span from start of static friction, over dynamic friction until you completely loose control. English isn't my native language so ...
    The old Stock-cars, and also many other cars are basically a bit to easy to slide IMO, especially at high speed and high slip angles they are to easy to catch. It's a very subjective impression of course.
    I tested yesterday at new Loch Drummond track with road config (just changed steering ratio to 1:10 I think) and default setup.

Jokeri likes this.
  2. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

I will be investigating the oscillation of the wheel when you first hop in to the Stock Cars. The original ones did that as well. Once the culprit is discovered we will update them. Glad you are enjoying them.

Also, If a track is not part of what NASCAR runs (Ovals) then it will load the default Road Course configuration.

Levelup1, billyblaze, Emery and 3 others like this.
  3. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

From real drivers feedback tires have a Grip, no grip, Grip again, no grip feeling when running on the edge. We were able to capture that with the new tires. The cool thing is each track is slightly different due to tracks grip and tire compound used at that track. So we really tried to replicated that with different tire compound combinations at each track like Goodyear does in NASCAR. We were pretty happy with the results.

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I am very glad that there is work in progress to improve the visual and performance of the Nurburgring/Nordschleife.

The fact that the track team spends time on the tracks to go around in circles does not delight me, however.

The fact that S397 appears to accommodate offline players, as of the UI release in December, is a very good thing. It is important to satisfy all types of players.

5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

You can also drive Stock Cars on road courses. Don't forget, they actually race on Non-Ovals also in real life.

6. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

The post mentions 24 tracks for Stock Car. Sorry if this is a stupid question but what are these tracks ?

7. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

With the car selected go into "tuning" then under "configuration" you'll see the track list.

As a side note if you have a road course selected it won't default to road course so you have to manually select it I've noticed.

bobbie424242 likes this.
  8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Yes of course, but what bothers me, and it's personal, is that the track team "wastes" time on the ovals.

I respect people who love ovals, but I find it uninteresting.

I prefer the track team to invest in road races and not "waste" its time on the ovals.

But it is according to the tastes of each indeed.

9. CrimsonEminence

The point was, you can have good road course racing with the Stock Cars. They have a configuration for that because of a reason.^^

DrivingFast likes this.
  10. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

There's a big market for oval racing, specially with the USA simracers. If oval racing is important to a big part of the simracing family and there's not too much offer (except iRacing with all its flaws), i think oval fans should have the opportunity to try oval racing in the best simulation available ;)

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Quite sure almost all (or even 100%) of this job was made by a stock car community, not S397 themselves. I remember seeing a Facebook page posting the updates of this project from time to time, it was long ago tho, I saw it at the begining

Emery and DrivingFast like this.
  12. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

I had almost all cars except the McLaren Senna and the Aston Martin GTE, so that 3 euros pack (a real bargain!) could not have come at a better time ! Sometimes it pays off to wait a bit. After a brief drive, these cars are excellent.

13. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Great updates, the new Loch Drummond looks fantastic, a great track for cars like the Radical.
    And quite nice news the update for the stock cars!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. And this car have the best sponsor ever jajajajajajajajjajajajajaja

[​IMG]

14. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

There are Ovals already available on Steam Workshop by Machine and a few others.
    There is a group concentrating on this stuff so do not worry S397 can concentrate on Road Course material.
    Have you ever raced Ovals with good drivers? It is pretty intense side by side.
    Anyways, if the Track team happens to do a Laser scanned Oval we would welcome it with open arms.:)

15. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

The Stock Cars are absolutely fantastic !
    Had an extended session on the Nordschleife and that is super intense and immersive due to their incredible physics and FFB.
    Thanks to both, on that track, you can instinctively push the car and it will almost always do what you think it should, which helps a lot to drive it confidently fast (which is still not easy).
    Speaking of which, what kind of transmission this car use ? I use H-pattern shifter and it is a blast with it.
    These Stock Cars really deserve more than ovals.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    marmagas and TJones like this.
  16. CrimsonEminence

Normally, they should still be on H-Pattern.^^

bobbie424242 likes this.
  17. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

H-Pattern Shifters. Thank you for the remarks! We made it load default Road Course for Tracks not in the TrackConfigBase.ini since 99% of those will be Road courses. they are just as fun on Ovals pushing them to the edge.

18. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

When rf2 moved to DX11 from DX9 I was totally underwhelmed with the graphics improvement. Now, with the move to these new shaders I had expected very little but I'm honestly extremely impressed with what i've seen from Portland. These graphics are starting to look pretty solid and it's going to make a big impact on the sim as a whole.

19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Unfortunately, the stuff you are interested in isn't all that matters. If rF2 can bring in some of the iRacing oval crowd then brilliant.

AlanK, The Great Apt and vittorio like this.
  20. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I agree.

The Great Apt likes this.