Deactivation of the Real Time Logging (csv)

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Bernd, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Dear @Marcel Offermans
    Maybe you remember your Replies to my former Posts in this Thread.
    Now a Year is over and i want to repeat my Wish to get a Possibility to completely deactivate that Logging.
    It would change absolutely nothing, if you would add this Possibility, except of the Fact, that the Users that don't have any Freezes, could deactivate the, for these Users, completely unnecessary Logging.
    I don't understand why we did not get it yet and for me and Others too, it is something that is an annoying Situation.
    I have written it in another Thread already that it is annoying to get Files written to the SSD (i only have SSD), that are not needed for me, because i don't have any Freezes or Stuttering.
    It may sound rediculous, but this Writing to the SSD wears out the SSD unnecessarily.
    And also the Fact, that i, who is someone who tries to optimize his Computer, to have as less as possible Programms running in the Fore- and Background, to improve my gaming Experience, can not deactivate this for me unnecessary Activity, is unsatisfying.
    Especially because it gets executed from a Game, for that i do the Optimizations.
    I don't want to start to to argue that these Problems affect a small Minority of Users only, because for these Users it really is a big Problem.
    As said already, this Deactivation Possibility would not change anything for them.
    The more i don't understand why the Majority of Users, that don't have Problems, get punished, because they are forced to have an Activity running that they don't need.

So please, give us the Option to deactivate it, in the next Update.
    I and a lot other Users would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Davvid, Schumi, redapg and 2 others like this.
  2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

For things much more crucial to rFactor 2 in this same part of the forum (wishlist), responses have always been extremely scarce, even when the ideas/proposals were probably good, so demand a response for that .... Good luck.

Discord can be?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Bernd very unlikely it'll affect your game performance, though if for some reason it does affect some then rather ironically (or not) the logs may help identify the logging as a potential cause.

I assume you have windows and its swap file on the same SSD, so don't see how these logs are going to significantly affect wear and tear on your drive in comparison.

Marcel already explained why they're logging for all, rather than getting people to activate logging after they have an issue, and recent build notes have mentioned improvements to the logging performance itself and the things the logging might pick up.

You may get no response because there's no reason to respond. This seems a non-issue.

5. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Sorry @Lazza i don't understand what your problem is.
    Is it really so hard to understand?
    I DON'T want to have it being deactivated by default.
    I just want to have the ability to deactivate it.
    And it of course wears out the SSD.
    And for me it is an isssue, when i can not deactivate something that i don't need.

And btw we are in the wish list here, not in the "report an issue" section. ;)

@DrivingFast @Marcel Offermans did reply to this in the other thread already, so why should he not do it again here? :)

6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

To be honest I said this because I'm frustrated that there is so little communication from S397 on the official forum, and that they often privilege discord.

I have often tried to suggest things, sometimes very interesting sometimes not, on this part of the forum (wishlist).....

I have never or hardly had any answers, whereas I was just trying to bring something to my level (end user and true fan).

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Because you don't have freezing. If you disable it, and then get a freeze, you won't have any logging possibly indicating the cause. And because the freeze is obviously rare, activating logging probably won't help at that point.

If there's an option to disable it, you can bet whatever you want that anyone reporting any sort of performance issue will be advised (by the helpful forum members) to disable that logging. Assuming there is still a reason for the logging, and there is based on mentions much more recent than the post from a year ago, that isn't a good thing.

Yep, yet here you are asking for a response after 3 weeks, when so few wishes get one ;)

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Lazza You don't want to understand my point, right?
    I stop arguing about it with you now.

9. Filip

Filip Registered

I believe main reason not to allow users to turn it off is as Lazza pointed out it would become tweak that gets recommended for every user which would make it useless for S397.

Btw did you try to create symbolic link for that log folder pointing to some folder on your non-SSD disk?

10. Bernd

Bernd Registered

This is the last time that i will reply here, except if @Marcel Offermans or another S397 member will reply here.
    I don't want to discuss about it, i want to get a possibility to deactivate it.
    It's simple like that. ;)

I don't know exactly what you want to say with that, sorry.
    If S397, in every case and from every user, would like to have the informations that are logged in the csv files, they also should have implemented a function, that sends the files to them automatically after they were written.
    Now the user has the choice to send them or not.
    And it makes no difference if the user deactivates the logging or don't sends the log files.
    In both cases S397 don't gets the information
    I only have SSD, as said in my opening post. ;)

Davvid likes this.