Support for Fanatec SDK

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ermz, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Ermz

Ermz Registered

One of my favourite things about playing ACC is that the tyre slip and ABS indicators on my Fanatec Formula V2 rim light up, and the rev indicator flashes when it's time to blip. rFactor 2 doesn't appear to support this. Are there any plans to add official support, or perhaps a 3rd party way of incorporating this SDK into the game?

2. vittorio

vittorio Registered

FWIW, did you already take a look at Fanaleds?
    https://www.fanaleds.com/faq
    https://www.fanaleds.com/gamesupport

I used it years ago for my Fanatec wheel and pedals in rF2 and i loved it, especially the rumble on my brake pedal when tyre slip (though i wondered if that is some kind of cheating, so i turned it off for league races)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  3. Ermz

Ermz Registered

Awesome! Guessing this provides the functionality I'm looking for?

Their program keeps getting flagged by anti-virus software, which is a little less than heartening.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The newest version is supposed to fix the virus detection error.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

FWIW, what is the difference between Fanalabs and Fanaleds?

6. Ermz

Ermz Registered

Question - This software seems to deal a lot with 'brake rumble', which I'm guessing can use the vibration motors inside the Formula V2 rim to add these effects. What I'm wondering is, are these effects for rF 2 'canned' ie. do they kick in at a given amount of brake pressure regardless of what's happening on the front axle, or are they tied into the game's telemetry and only give you that vibration when the relevant scrubbing effects are actually occurring?

7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

When i used fanaleds it looked at simulation telemetry data - so the brake pedal rumble occured only when tires really slipped. which to be honest is awesome.

This even works for historic cars like 1960s formula 1,2 and 3. Which of course didn't have ABS. But it helped a lot to learn to drive these cars (which for me are still the most difficult cars to manage, but if you can most rewarding).

Again the question for me is, is having that information cheating? Difficult. Other simracers not using fanaleds dont have that information, so probably yes. In real car in real life you have that information by feeling with your guts, so maybe not.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  8. lagg

lagg Registered

If i use a wheel wirhout FFB, woul be the rest cheating?
    From my point of view, no.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Then Vittorio, if you think using Fanaleds is cheating, I would then have to argue that everyone using anything more than a Logitech G-25 is also cheating. Indeed, unless we all use Xbox gamepads then we are all cheating. Hardware is expensive, few in the user base can afford high end equipment, those that do, certainly benefit. So, I think you are needlessly burdening yourself with guilt. Use the equipment you have, ENJOY the sims with whatever equipment you have.

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Yes, that is true. There will always be a quality difference between simracers having high end hardware and lower end hardware. like DD wheels with perfect FFB and lowest lag, perfect pedals like load cell vs potentiometer brake pedal .. or even using VR or triple screen vs single screen.

Still, all those high end systems try to simulate the real world better than lower end hardware can do. But e.g. in a 1967 F1 you never got told via brake pedal that your tyres are slipping on brake. Thats what i wanted to say. It doesn't try to simulate the real world more perfectly anymore, it adds information. I raced 1967 F3, F2 and F1 in rF2 on mid end hardware for three years in league races and that slip tyre info on brake pedal was a huge help.

So I used it to learn the historic car and track (for which it was a big help) but switched it off for league races. Just to be on the safe side.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    lagg likes this.
  11. Ermz

Ermz Registered

All depends on what your intent is with sim racing. World-class sim racers often race with very light, or no FFB, so it doesn't interfere with the driving inputs. To someone like me using sim racing to approximate real driving as much as possible, that's patently absurd, but their goals are obviously different to mine.

For the record, Fanaleds doesn't use the slip and ABS indicators with rFactor 2, unfortunately. It allows me to program the LEDs to pulse when it's time to upshift, or get some canned rumble, but no blue flashies for TC kicking in, or red flashies for ABS kicking in. Shame.

Would be appreciated, if anyone from S397 is reading over this.

vittorio and davehenrie like this.
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

+1!!!!!!

13. Uff

Uff Registered

Fanaleds recently updated their rF2 plugin. I don't know if this will fix the issue reported above, but you might try. After installing the latest version remember to copy the new plugin and overwrite the old one.