Old mod visual Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trollray, Jul 22, 2020.

1. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi all,
    I've saw alot about ibl shaders or new features but i'm totaly lost.
    When i use some mods, look at how cars are looking.
    It's very strange and bad.

I'm not a graphical gouru but i'm working on a complete rework on ohysics and AI path for old mods like 1988 season.

Can someone tell me what is the problem with these cars.
    Now i must admit, they look horrible like a bad technicolor effect.
    Thanks for any help or answer.
    Cheers
    Oli

-First picture, how it looks now
    -next picture is an old icon but with correct colours as you can see ;)
    Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.22 - 14.41.34.30.jpg 1988_Williams05icon.jpg

2. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

https://www.studio-397.com/2020/05/release-of-build-1118/

The issue is caused by the latest graphics update. There would be two ways to go about it:

1. According to the June Road Map,

"In recent updates, we made adjustments to old content to help it be compatible with lighting updates. We will add a few options here to help modders, including the ability to disable these changes on a per-material basis if required."

You could wait for that update to roll out. Not sure how it will work, but it might work for this

2. Implement IBL-PBR. I have a write up at the link below. Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take very long.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....r-shader-assistance.64024/page-2#post-1013709

I've done a couple conversions using the existing car textures. It does work that way. But ideally, redoing all the skins with out having the shadow layer, and creating appropriate region.dds does give the best results.

3. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi Chris,
    I've saw your post about it but it looks very complex to me.
    I've send this thread on general because i wanted to be sure that the problem was not only on my side. ;)
    I really prefer the new visuals instead of using old ones but i'm pretty sure that the 88 tracks (16th..) need also some
    work. And that's a big montain of work that i don't have any clue for lol.
    When i see the ASR cars, i really want to do it because they look so nice but i'm not the good guy for it i'm afraid.

For the rest, my ai and physics tweaks has been on standby for some weeks now but i'm back and nearly finished with it.
    Hope to find some help for graphical aspect, would be the best solution for me now :s ;)

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Two words: shaders and textures makes a lot of difference

5. svictor

svictor Registered

Usually only car body needs new IBL/PBR, rest stuff can still use old shaders (just need to change a few values, most of problems are related to old cube map value), the fact that most of ISI/397 free content still using old shaders, and they still looks very good (thanks to talented artists).

6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

So far I mostly only had to reduce fresnel value and slightly reduce specularity values for my cars body paint material. Seems like I will need to do similar adjustments for the Goodwood mod track I do. I think S397 did very nice job readjusting and reworking all those graphical aspects. Nothin so far seems like it was completely broken, some stuff slight worse, some stuff better, and some relatively same (of that which wasn't adjusted to graphical improvements).

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

If I understand right.... all car textures need to be one file? So the extra parts like suspension and tyres can't have PBR textures?

8. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi guys, thanks for your reply but it could be in chinese that would not complicate my task lol

So, if i understand well, the good news is that it's not a big problem to resolve?
    The bad news is that i don't have any idea of what you are talking about :ss

Sorry to not be familiar with shaders and pbl things, for me it's alien things but it was the same with ai and some physics stuff too vefore i interest myself in it ;)

So,
    - how can i correct this problem?
    - Which software are needed to do the work?
    - Does it concern only the cars or the cars and tracks? (Rain textures on track surface looks very bad now so i guess i need to work on that too)
    - Are there some tutorials (videos if possible) ?

So many thanks in advance.
    I really like these f1 era and as some of you know it, i'm in the work to polish the complete 86/88 season packs with a new working IA/Path/Race strategies/cameras.

The bad thing is these graphical issues but i don't know how to do it.
    (If someone is interested also and know how to do it, you're welcome ;)) )
    CHeers

9. svictor

svictor Registered

You absolutely can, it works for all materials, whether it is wildcard or not. All you need is one line "MaterialPath=<VEHDIR>YOURCAR\maps" in GEN file, then just create PBR json file using RF2 material editor.

Check each modding subforum, especially the top post in track subforum, there are many tutorials.
    Usually just need lower min fresnel value as other suggested already. (under Fresnel Reflect , lower Fresnel Min value, usual 0.01 works well). Also you can lower Spec texture opacity (save it as DXT5), which also has effect on reflection.

For software, there are a few choices:
    3dsimed (best for conversion and batch editing materials, inexpensive and fast).
    gJED (totally free, from ISI, now unsupported, but still very good for editing material & object).
    Blender (totally free and very good, though requires plugin and has limited material editing ability).
    3dsmax (expensive).

10. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

What I learned about the Extra textures, is that you can apply the shader to them. The issue is that there can only be one region.dds.

svictor likes this.
  11. trollray

trollray Registered

@svictor

Thanks for the help.
    Just one question still.
    I've downloaded 3dsimed3 but it's from sim garage.co.uk.
    The web site is not very secure. My browser tell me to not communicate any info on this web site type.
    Is it the same for you or you had another link?
    Strange, prefer to be sure before paying lol ;)

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

That is the correct site.

13. lagg

lagg Registered

Don't worry.
    It's safe.

14. trollray

trollray Registered

I've paid and received my account number.
    Now, i can enter this new world lol ;)

15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

[​IMG]

pkelly, Alex72 and Lazza like this.