AI Collisions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Suches, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Suches

Suches Registered

Hello--New to RF2. When racing ai, the other cars drive into me like I'm not there. I've played with the ai settings, and they seem to make no difference. I installed a mod called "rFactor AI Improvement 1.21" which seemed to work once, but never again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

That's just how the AI is at the moment.

In the player.json file there's a setting "AI Logic Override", changing that to 1 removes the AI's blocking behavior, and reducing aggression helps to some degree, but not much.

Some like the AI, some are ok with the AI but for me, it is far and away the worst part of this game; so much so that I've just stopped bothering with it.

RoboCAT10 likes this.
  3. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Which track(s) have you tried? Some are great, some ok and others not so.

4. Suches

Suches Registered

I'm doing Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park.

5. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

RoboCAT10 likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

turn down the AI agression, but you won't find much help for solo play right now. The main focus of the devs is to create the new UI and an online competition system.

The Great Apt likes this.
  7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That mod you downloaded is for rfactor 1 it will not work with RF2.

As for your issues, turn down aggression, try a race on an official track with official mod and report back with videos of the incidents if possible should they persist, start with a fresh/default player.json (backup your old one first).

8. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Some car mods have talent files which make them drive like Kamikaze.

The Great Apt likes this.
  9. Ariff

Ariff Registered

The main focus is taking way too much time, and everyone here knows it.

RoboCAT10 and The Great Apt like this.
  10. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

Know it's not my thread but thought I'd try the above (EVE F3 at Belgium), it took 1.5 laps for the same thing to happen (can upload later)*.

Catch the car in front (so I have the pace) on one of the long straights, pull-out to overtake (on the straight) and as I nose ahead it turns to the right and locks wheels, race over; VERY similar to Devin's clip on Discord yesterday.

imo, aside from the fact there is no 'yield' or 'awareness' logic that I can see, these issues stem from a combination of 'slowwhenpushed' and the BLOCKING line/logic. In the above the AI moves to a blocking line, when it needs to yield.
    'slowwhenpushed' accounts for the AI randomly breaking during clean and clear corners; it's obeying the instruction to slow, rather than obeying any code to race.

Some combinations maybe better due to a better AIW/RDP(?) but the underlying code is crude and just not very good. This is all 'imo' of course, and I simply don't have the tolerance for rf2's AI anymore; AC does AI better, but AC just doesn't 'feel' right for driving.

I just need to 'git gud' so I can race people.

* I don't see much difference at Sebring with the 720s, both new and official content.

11. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Sometimes the AI can be really good with racing against each other, nice overtakes and no sillily errors. I like the occasional error or contact, but when it’s every 4 or so laps it becomes a bit ridiculous.

I’m having issues with the offical Indianapolis with the Formula ISI - the AI will always make contact with eachother into the first turn, usually the attacking car attempting a sweeping overtake from the outside going into turn one only to make contact with the defend car with the latter coming off worse. It’s a shame because the rest of the track the AI are great at - it’s just the one part of the track that spoils is which I find at most tracks. I’ve tried all aggression settings, ai strength and so on, but not much improvement.

As someone mentioned and linked above, TopSecret does a fantastic job at fixing these errors with new AIW files. Just fixing one part of the track is usually all it takes. He really does do an incredible job and I’d suggest taking a look at what he does.

I’d like to see more focus put on the AI on how they race each other and awareness, and also their race strategy (particularly wet racing). But we know that is not their priority now and I don’t think it will be any time soon, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

Lars likes this.
  12. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered