FFB Issues persist on certain cars only

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by charlie hosea, Jul 17, 2020.

1. charlie hosea

charlie hosea Registered

Is this an inherent design or something wrong on my end, but certain cars lack complete FFB in relation to the tires. In other words, the Porsche GT3 for example, I only can feel suspension, bumps, physics in that regard but zero rolling resistance while turning and complete lack of FFB as far as over steer/understeer etc.

I am using a DD1 and have tried using 1.00 FFB multiplier and turning my wheel base down and have tried running my wheel base at 100% and tuning FFB multiplier down but nothing seems to work.

I would say about half the cars in RFactor2 are currently undrivable for me as they exhibit these odd FFB characteristics.

I have done a bit of research and many say adjust caster, but most cars that is not an option to do so.

Is there anything I can adjust within the game itself or on my wheel base that will give a more realistic and natural feel?

Ferrari GTE feels great, no issues as do many others but like I said there are some that just seem like something is not right and not intended.

Thank you!

2. Shadak

Shadak Registered

I also have a DD1 and for me its the opposite actually, I find this sim is one of the best at telling you what the car is doing etc.

I can give you my base settings later but main point for me was to turn up DD to about 90% FFB ... BUT reduce FFB multi in game to 0.30 , this is for GT3 and GTE DLC , for some open wheelers etc. I had to increase to 0.35-0.40. Smoothing 3-4%. Not much natural damper, about 8-10 natural friction.

The reason for this in my case was with lower base FFB and high rF2 FFB I had much more violent rubmel strips (the modelled ones). This makes them bearable.

3. lagg

lagg Registered

Your problem could be a clipping problem.
    Try to reduce the FFB multiplier and/or the force of your wheel.
    Also you can use Motec to check if you have clipping problems

4. charlie hosea

charlie hosea Registered

Could you drive the Porsche GT3 and let me know. I have no feeling at all around center or steering unless the game is signaling a bump, curb, etc.

5. charlie hosea

charlie hosea Registered

I don’t see how you would clip with a 20NM base at 100% and the in game multiplier at .4 ?
    I did try installing the plugins for clipping took but didn’t work for me.

Thank you

6. lagg

lagg Registered

You can have a clipping problem with any engine. My wheel has 20Nm too (OSW Small Mige) and i've friends that own the one of 30Nm and they have adjusted the force.
    With the car that i'm using now i have configured the 50% of the force in the wheel driver, and a multiplier of 0.6 in rF2.
    The plugins only work with the DX9 versions of rF2 and were deprecated years ago.
    To check if you have a clipping problem you can use the DAMPlugin of @Lazza
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/damplugin-for-rf2.49363/

I know that it's possible to check this with SimHub overlays but i don't know how to do this.

7. Shadak

Shadak Registered

Just tried it, on AC-Barcelona and Sebring, those are really bumpy and detailed. I could feel every little thing in center or steering.
    Have you tried the settings I posted? I would reset the rF2 json controller file and do a new one and try my settings as a test. Also do you have any of the wheelbase values reduced to 0 like FEI etc?

8. charlie hosea

charlie hosea Registered

Thank you, is their a json file for each car? I feel dumb but I think it is just a car set up issue. I was running at nordschleife and I think it’s just too bumpy and the stock set up on these cars are very poor for that. I probably just need better car setups because I ran the Porsche GT3 &E and a few other cars at smoother tracks and felt great. Does that make sense?

9. Comante

Comante Registered

Nordschleife is not the best track to use to test things, is too long , you need a short track so you can make the same thing again and again in a very short timespan. This is the best way to learn how to tweak things to your needs.
    Your hardware is professional grade, RF2 is surely capable of pushing it to his limit. You just need to learn which settings give you the output you are looking for. After that it will be a pretty instinctive thing to adapt 1 or 2 values to a specific car/track combo.

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I hope this not going to offend anyone. But one of the main things to adjust about ffb is yourself. Try forget what you feel in assetto, try not expect cars to all have same holy perfection steering feel and feedback that gamermuscle would love, and instead just try to wire your brain to some possible bold differences, which inevitably comes straight from physics and deserves to be understood. There really isn't a thing like ffb in rf2, it's mostly pure physics just few specific ffb values, just like it should be in proper simulator.

11. Shadak

Shadak Registered

The main JSON file is the controoler one (most probably your custom one you created), there are files for FFB multiplier I think but that should be all it does.

So what is your current issue? Im not sure I understand. Smooth track feels good but bumpy doesnt? I thought you couldnt feel anything anywhere in the Porsche GT3, is that not an issue anymore?

Re. FFB compared to other games ... On the DD wheel some details are small(ish) but they are still there and imo they feel really good, along with things like properly conveyed tyre flex and other parts of the simulation, this IMO is much more interesting and enjoyable than canned effects.

12. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

Maybe you have that problem with this cars in the list?
    I think, they need a rework like the GTE and i also think, the dev team know it.
    This time, what you can do, wait for the next patch and don use the wrong/damage cars.
    But, the good ones are very nice.

I think, the biggest problem, are the low caster and that you cant adjust it.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10jPsTeAzdhVZ3_Iydp7IpwenX6iJp6AoYz1m8wZNFwk/edit?usp=sharing

13. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I've been practising in the Porsche GT3 at Silverstone and it feels great FFB wise.
    I have 20nm Mige based OSW.
    I run the MMOS (wheel software ) at 100% and adjust the car specific multiplier (usually to 60-65%).
    I once had to reduce the wheel to 60% when I entered the server in spectate in the wrong car for a driver change so had 100% ffb in-game. Doing it that way around I lost the fine high frequency ffb and just had a flat "clipped like" resistance. So it makes me think that 100% wheel and car specific reduction is better.
    Maybe also check recentering force. If that's high it will pollute feedback.

14. Shadak

Shadak Registered

Yep, that was my experience as well, hence my suggestion to the op to run very high base ffb and low car ffb. I dont think I've lost details on DD1 when I ran high game ffb but it made things really weird and harsh, my car ffb is now 0.30 on most and its perfect.