Having second thoughts already (*update: not anymore)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eRacer_, Jul 3, 2020.

1. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

A few good (small) tracks to play on:
    Canadian Tyres (Senorman);
    Mills Metro,
    and Lime Rock.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time throwing the USF2000 around those tracks; still do actually.

2. eRacer_

eRacer_ Registered

I'm liking the flat6 series, but the AI is just perfect, it won't make mistakes (even editing the player JSON file, I'm currently running the AI with a mistake factor of 3! Nothing affects them.

Anyways, I'm now looking for a consistent car that is not too powerful and allows me to improve driving technique. I was thinking in the 370z. At the end of the day, I'm relearning everything. In PCars2 I'd use the Ginettas. What is the equivalent here?

3. Stevy

Stevy Registered

To learn how to drive ?
    Use the Taatus cars or the USF2000 2016.
    Radical SR3-RSX is also a good car I would say.
    You could also use the Renault Megane but I don't like it that much.

eRacer_ likes this.
  4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I agree with tatuus (more than usf2000 which is not updated) and radical SR3 XX (I suggest to use the XX, which is DLC, more updated, compared to the free official sr3).

But using only 1 car you're going to get tired (probably) , that's why I proposed all the official GT3 and GTE, official porsche cup.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

6. Stevy

Stevy Registered

I would never recommend a DLC to someone who has just started.
    If you are familiar with the game and know what you can expect you can get yourself DLCs. But not right at the start.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  7. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I understand your point of view, but the price of a car on rF2 corresponds, when taken in pack, to what? A lemonade in a cafe?

Frankly it's cheap, and if it's a good start, it's worth IMO.

Griffin Johnson likes this.
  8. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

the free Radical SR3-RSX is pretty good, at least according to a real driver. Also AFAIK it has CPM tires with QSA fix.
    But the fact some mod is updated doesn't mean it's necessarily more realistic. Also AMS didn't have much real data for cars, but is still highly regarded in therms of physics. Many people say the cars are believable.

9. eRacer_

eRacer_ Registered

I totally would, and I just started.

(sorry for the long replies, you guys are my only conversations lately)

I'm starting to realise that there are, somehow, two games in here, the old one and the new one, and they should be separated. otherwise it leads to confusion. The new tracks are amazing. And some of the modded ones too. It is a much better game that what it looks like in a first impression.

Buying a new pack, while they are in sale, is definitely a good idea. I think I expended £38 total, all things included (I've got the game for £12, just checked and it's now £25). It was a no brainier, after what I saw in the 24H.

I'm camped now permanently at Nurburgring GP and Sprint layouts, currently I don't have the sufficient skill to do a clean flat-out lap in the 24H layout (that is how different this sim is).
    I'm a near future I'm planing to move my things to Le Mans, where high speed corners can provoke a code brown if you miscalculate 1 mm of input.

I'll tell you something. I used to think that Le Mans was overrated, until I drove it in this simulator. I know... sounds stupid. The thing is that no game before provoked a code brown while driving in Le Mans. All of them are pretty and etc but none made me feel the danger of doing something wrong at high speed.

I've done the idiot with a car in real life, so when I did the idiot in Le Mans in this sim, and felt so similar, I panicked in a millisecond and almost went code brown.
    Now I respect Le Mans. I will leave it there until I feel I have the skill necessary.

At the beginning I didn't get this sim, it wasn't properly configured and my 'unboxing' experience wasn't the best. So, I would say that DLCs made me keep it, and now I'm having tons of fun.

10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The fact that a mod is completely up to date does not mean that it is realistic, I agree, because there are other factors.

On the other hand, I only want to drive mods that are at the same time :

100% up to date + 100% real data + if possible under license because I think that this guarantees certain things + if possible by a modder particularly recognized for the realism of these mods and the rigor with which it uses real data.

In short everything that allows to get the most realistic mod.

I am not in an immersion/pleasure approach but in a "most hardcore simulation possible" approach.

But frankly, I have 40 relatively diverse cars, I think it's already good.

@eRacer_

I find that choosing the Nurburgring GP to start is really ideal, and then switching to the Nurburgring Combined with a track learning phase is a great idea.

I am not convinced by the mans on the other hand for learning.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@eRacer_ I've never seen so many mentions of code brown in one place :p but good to see you're enjoying it.

I only just picked up Le Mans and Nurburgring myself, played a number of versions over 15 years and looking forward to trying them out.

12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

We are all shocked that you have added those track to your rF2 experience just now, Lazza :D

Just joking, I can see how those tracks aren't ideal for quick tests or quick races. Although, my modding friend from AC, Aphidgod, used to always use Nordschleife as his main testing site. The track surely reveals plenty of characteristics, it just lost very slightly with rounded off Flugplatz (I will call it Flugplatz I don't care).

bwana likes this.
  13. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

@eRacer_

Thanks a lot for sharing your rF2 story.
    It's been a real pleasure, following your rapid evolution to appreciate it... :)

May I suggest Riverside International Raceway for getting started ?

It's a fairly simple to learn track (with some daring passages) so you could focus on feeling how the car behaves, before you take it to the more complex tracks.

Other than that, welcome to the bright side... :D

gnoccop, eRacer_ and bwana like this.
  14. Comante

Comante Registered

About the tracks... there is this old one, graphically outdated, that is one of the most interesting short tracks ever : MID OHIO. You can race here almost everything as they dare to drive IndyCars in real life too. And the track is barely wide enough for those cars.

davehenrie likes this.
  15. bwana

bwana Registered

Give the Skip Barber a go .. a car that all new to real sim racing should master . Learn to drive as much with your feet as with your hands..

David O'Reilly likes this.
  16. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

On the other hand it can be really frustrating, especially regional version. For this reason I would recommend more accessible cars for a noob.

DrivingFast likes this.
  17. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Don't want to spoil it for you, but 100% real data is not possible, even for DLC cars. Especially with tire data, which is partial at best and often quite inaccurate , but also aero data is often missing and devs get only approximate lift and drag values AFAIK.
    Niels Heusinkveld said that devs don't wan't to admit it , but often have to work with crucial data missing and fudge values to make it behave properly. I guess ACC cars are mostly based on real data, but i.e. AMS wasn't.
    You recommended Tatuus and yes from what they say these cars should be the most realistic in all commercial sims. According to S397 BMW M2 CS Racing also should be very realistic.

DrivingFast likes this.
  18. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The M2 is interesting to drive but its understeer is a bit excessive, which does not mean not realistic, maybe it behaves like that in real life.

So I don't recommend it for the beginners.

19. Gregoryleo

Gregoryleo Registered

I got this sim a while ago and found it frustrating at first. But I chose to muddle my way through it slowly when I had time to fiddle with it and had no expectations. And I'm glad I did because it is now becoming my favorite sim, and I have most of them. It is worth the time if you have the patients to work with it.

Highlandwalker and avenger82 like this.
  20. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I recently got the M2, or rather re-bought it as it was to slow and not fun for me, so refunded it. Then they added mor e powerful Clubsport version, but I was hesitant. Users reported it had some excessive bounciness, but S397 fixed it. So I finally got it and must say I like how it handles. Of course It understeers way more than GT cars, but also oversteer more easily. Thankfully it’s not snap oversteer and you can easily catch slides.

Also in rF2 GT3 and Endurance pack cars have probably most realistic tires in commercial simracing. Also in general now GTE and GT3 cars are probably not far off reality. Pro drivers didn’t complain much:) Only criticism I heard is that someone supposedly said they are a bit too hard to handle.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020